Jab row anger stuns diabetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Becca

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Think this should be in the news section but thought i'd post here first?

http://www.wigantoday.net/news/jab_row_anger_stuns_diabetic_1_1159413

A DIABETIC has told how she was subjected to a verbal attack while eating out - because she took her medication in public.

Diane Ashcroft has told of her upset and hurt after being taken to task by another customer after he watched her administer an insulin injection into her upper arm while sat in the restaurant.

The irate diner accused her of ?ruining his meal? and scaring his two children when she produced her hypodermic syringe before eating at The Stag at Orrell Post.

Mrs Ashcroft, who is 46, suffers from Type One diabetes and has to administer a shot of insulin immediately before she eats.

Mrs Ashcroft, of Langdale Crescent, Abram said: ?I have never come across this type of discrimination or prejudice before and it has to happen here in my home town. I felt quite afronted.

?I need to inject and experience has taught me that it is very wise to inject the moment that I have the food in front of me. There have been a number of occasions where I have injected only for my food to arrive 20 or 30 minutes later. or my food was cold.

?This can be dangerous. I use my own discretion and find a quite place to inject, turning my back on the public.

?I don?t use the toilets because it?s not a sterile place to inject.

?I couldn?t quite believe it when this person, who was in his early 30?s I would guess, came up to me and complained that his children were present and that it was unfair that they had to be exposed to my injecting,

?I was so startled by this that I went across to try to explain my situation, only to be called ignorant and bad mannered and he even compared my treating myself for diabetes with the same social unpleasantness of breaking wind in public, which is utterly ludicrous.

?There are many children who are diabetic and require to inject themselves. Instances of diabetes are on the rise and people need to educate themselves about this disease.

?I certainly have no reason to believe that his children were in any way harmed.?

Mrs Ashcroft added that staff at The Stag were very understanding about her need to inject herself before her meal.

Care Advisor at leading health charity Diabetes UK Deepa Khatri, said: ?We are appalled that some people object to people with diabetes injecting insulin in public.

?For people who treat their diabetes with insulin this is not a choice - insulin keeps them alive and injections have to be administered at specific times. People should be able to inject in public without fear of being mocked or shunned.?

It's his problem, not hers. I'm sure the children wouldn't have been 'upset', most probably just inquisitive if they noticed at all (or if the father drew attention to it!), and the father probably felt compelled to watch so he could form the vitriol in his mind to object - he could have just looked away. Sigh!

Surprised she was using a hypodermic syringe though, not sure how commom those are these days - perhaps just misreporting.

Well, comparing injecting to "breaking wind" is a new one on me! Nice to hear that The Stag were supportive of the woman with diabetes, rather than the protesting man.

Well, comparing injecting to "breaking wind" is a new one on me! Nice to hear that The Stag were supportive of the woman with diabetes, rather than the protesting man.

Yep i thought that too 🙂 It does make me wonder what planet he was on. Children that we have come across have been openly curious and in awe when Rose tests etc.... We've yet to come across one child that has been grossed out by it. Would think it's more a hang up of the father....

I think the problem is with other adults rather than sacring the children. I appreciate some adults have a needle phobia, but assuming their necks and upper bodies work they can look away. Most of the children I know would be curious about the injection.

I look forward to situations like this, but it just hasnt happened as yet, which I suppose is a good thing.

I look forward to situations like this, but it just hasnt happened as yet, which I suppose is a good thing.

You do wonder if he would have been quite so forthcoming with his complaint if it had been a 16st rugby player doing the injection! 😉

You do wonder if he would have been quite so forthcoming with his complaint if it had been a 16st rugby player doing the injection! 😉

LOL! How strange is that! One of the mum's on CWD lives down the road and is her dad's local. She says that Danny Sculthorpe (Rugby league player) with type 1 drinks in the pub regularly.....

When I was with a work colleague recently, she saw me about to finger prick and objected because she didn't like blood - my response was she could look away or move because I certainly wasn't going to.

I wonder how the chap would have reacted if she had had a severe hypo - probabaly complained that was upsetting his meal too! Ignorant.

The scariest thing about this is what he is teaching his children! He could have used this opportunity to educate them about diabetes and medical conditions in general without causing them any distress at all. To think that he is in charge of giving these children their morals - it doesnt bear thinking about does it. I just hope they can see past their fathers arrogant, obnoxious and thoroughly foul behaviour and learn how to treat people with respect when they are older.

What would he do if one of his children were diagnosed type 1? Obviously I wouldnt wish it on anybody - but it would be interesting to know how he would have dealt with it in the same situation.

We went to a diabetes weekend at a caravan park and the majority of children there were diabetic and all sat injecting and testing at the public restaurant where there were other non-diabetic families - and not one person complained or had a bad word about it.

What a foul evil little man.😱🙂Bev

We've never had a problem at our forum meets when we've mass injected - maybe there's safety in numbers! Very good point Bev about what he's teaching his children - an opportunity missed. :(

Becca - shame the rugby player wasn't in there at the time, I bet he would have had a 'quiet word'!

Looks like I may have to dig out my old pens, pop around his gaffe, do a jab and let one rip then. Anyone up for coming with me?

Looks like I may have to dig out my old pens, pop around his gaffe, do a jab and let one rip then. Anyone up for coming with me?

make sure you've had the cabbage water first !!

Sod cabbage water, just anything from my hospital canteen is gauranteed to cause instant wind. I'll probably go for a few pints and a curry the night before...

Sod cabbage water, just anything from my hospital canteen is gauranteed to cause instant wind. I'll probably go for a few pints and a curry the night before...

now ya talking !!!:D

And pick your nose with the other hand, while injecting and farting....

And afterwards we can all wave our needles around. Honestly. What a plank - as Bev said, a prime time for education (even just a simple 'some people have serious medical conditions they need injections for' or whatever). Clearly his problem and not the children's.

When I worked in the US for a summer, I constantly injected discreetly (ie would turn away from the table, make sure the kids were all occupied etc) in front of the kids and other camp counsellours, and NONE of them noticed for the first few weeks. None of them were freaked out, they just wanted to know why I did it.

Think this should be in the news section but thought i'd post here first?

http://www.wigantoday.net/news/jab_row_anger_stuns_diabetic_1_1159413

A DIABETIC has told how she was subjected to a verbal attack while eating out - because she took her medication in public.

Diane Ashcroft has told of her upset and hurt after being taken to task by another customer after he watched her administer an insulin injection into her upper arm while sat in the restaurant.

The irate diner accused her of ?ruining his meal? and scaring his two children when she produced her hypodermic syringe before eating at The Stag at Orrell Post.

Mrs Ashcroft, who is 46, suffers from Type One diabetes and has to administer a shot of insulin immediately before she eats.

Mrs Ashcroft, of Langdale Crescent, Abram said: ?I have never come across this type of discrimination or prejudice before and it has to happen here in my home town. I felt quite afronted.

?I need to inject and experience has taught me that it is very wise to inject the moment that I have the food in front of me. There have been a number of occasions where I have injected only for my food to arrive 20 or 30 minutes later. or my food was cold.

?This can be dangerous. I use my own discretion and find a quite place to inject, turning my back on the public.

?I don?t use the toilets because it?s not a sterile place to inject.

?I couldn?t quite believe it when this person, who was in his early 30?s I would guess, came up to me and complained that his children were present and that it was unfair that they had to be exposed to my injecting,

?I was so startled by this that I went across to try to explain my situation, only to be called ignorant and bad mannered and he even compared my treating myself for diabetes with the same social unpleasantness of breaking wind in public, which is utterly ludicrous.

?There are many children who are diabetic and require to inject themselves. Instances of diabetes are on the rise and people need to educate themselves about this disease.

?I certainly have no reason to believe that his children were in any way harmed.?

Mrs Ashcroft added that staff at The Stag were very understanding about her need to inject herself before her meal.

Care Advisor at leading health charity Diabetes UK Deepa Khatri, said: ?We are appalled that some people object to people with diabetes injecting insulin in public.

?For people who treat their diabetes with insulin this is not a choice - insulin keeps them alive and injections have to be administered at specific times. People should be able to inject in public without fear of being mocked or shunned.?

What a complete plonker this man is, as we all know we have to take the insulin to stay alive, he seems like a complete nightmare😱. I hope no one in his family gets diabetes, god help them.( I was told it's alright to inject in toilets, as long as you wash your hands before and after, I prefer to inject in privacy, but I have injected discretley, in front of people). I hope the poor womans unfortunate experience doesn't put her off eating out again.Sheena😡 p s the picture of the lady injecting looks like a pen not a needle.

I told Alex about this story and he said he would have said 'I am sorry if your children are upset by my injecting - but if I didnt inject insulin I would die - this might upset your children more'.😱🙂Bev

I told Alex about this story and he said he would have said 'I am sorry if your children are upset by my injecting - but if I didnt inject insulin I would die - this might upset your children more'.😱🙂Bev

Nice one Alex! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back