Ive just signed up

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppanagi

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I've just signed up to Diabetes UK. I have been type 2 for about 5 years and am 67 years old. I have a family history and my mother has lived with type I and insulin since 1969! I have a monitor and take 3-monthly HbA1c tests (about 30% difference). They show very different averages. I have posted a question on the general forum to see if anyone else has come across this. I also take Metformin slow release 1000mg, Rybelsus 7mg, Dapagliflozin 10mg and Ramipril 2.5mg to offset the side effects on my kidneys. I can't find oout what my daily sugar intake should be. I've managed to lose about 5 kg in weight. Has anyone got any ideas! I probably need to be a little more careful with my diet although I generally eat very healthily. Thanks for having the patience to read this thread.

Welcome @ppanagi 🙂 If it’s average blood sugar your meter is giving you then that’s different from the HbA1C test. The one to go by would be the one from your doctor.

It’s not just sugar you need to watch, it’s all carbs both sweet and savoury. So, you might need to reduce portions of things like potatoes, pasta, rice, bread, etc etc, because they all contain carbs.

I've just signed up to Diabetes UK. I have been type 2 for about 5 years and am 67 years old. I have a family history and my mother has lived with type I and insulin since 1969! I have a monitor and take 3-monthly HbA1c tests (about 30% difference). They show very different averages. I have posted a question on the general forum to see if anyone else has come across this. I also take Metformin slow release 1000mg, Rybelsus 7mg, Dapagliflozin 10mg and Ramipril 2.5mg to offset the side effects on my kidneys. I can't find oout what my daily sugar intake should be. I've managed to lose about 5 kg in weight. Has anyone got any ideas! I probably need to be a little more careful with my diet although I generally eat very healthily. Thanks for having the patience to read this thread.
The thing you should be considering is your CARBOHYDRATE intake not sugar as all carbs convert to glucose.
You may need to be cautious about going to low on carbs because of the medication you are taking. I assume that you didn't make any dietary changes since you are taking that many meds.
If low carb is suitable for you then the suggested amount of carbs per day is no more than 130g.
Have a look at this link for some ideas on some dietary changes. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
Your monitor will tell you your blood glucose at any moment in time and measures something different form the HbA1C test so they will be different.
You can use your monitor to test the effect of your meals by testing before you eat and after 2 hours when you would be aiming at no more than 2-3mmol/l increase or no more than 8-8.5mmol/l post meal. You would be aiming at 4-7mmol/l before meals or fasting /morning readings.

If low carb is suitable for you then the suggested amount of carbs per day is no more than 130g.
They take dapagliflozin, you are advised not to low carb on that

Welcome to the forum @ppanagi 🙂

Hope you can develop a good balance between your menu and your meds 🙂

Why cant you use a low carb diet if your on dapagliflozin, just curious as ive been reducing my carb intake for a few weeks now and i wasn't aware that this is not suitable untill i read this post

ive been getting some spikes in my glucose levels and put it down to when i eat carbs , as i'm keeping a food diary and sum days my levels go higher than normal after eating and i cannot explain the levels

I have been trying to find out what the lower limit on carbs is if taking the 'flozin' medications but all you seem to be able to find is that people should seek advise for their GP or dietician before having a low carb of less than 130g per day and should not have keto.
There have been some research with people who go low carb but they are obviously closely monitored and have had success.
It would be interesting to know how many carbs people actually do have if on those medications.

hi thanx for that , ive been keeping my carb counts low for a few weeks and seem to be losing a bit of weight , ive got my annual review in 2 weeks and i believe ill be getting my hb test done aswell , what i can't understand is why my levels seem to go up when i havent eaten , and when i do eat sumthing they climb higher than 3mml , im eating healthy but sum days the blood readings dont make sense to me or have no reason why they should be what im seeing

There are over 40 different things that can affect your blood glucose test result. Us 'old hands' know there are so many, we joke that it can depend on what colour socks/underwear we have on and whether there's an R in the month. If we didn't have diabetes, it would still go up and down all day but of course if we didn't have diabetes we wouldn't have the slightest idea that it does that or that our own body is taking care of the fluctuations without any fuss cos it's just what the body does 24/365 when there's nowt wrong with it.

Turns out this 'ere 'uman body thing is a mega complex piece of machinery.

hi thanx for that , ive been keeping my carb counts low for a few weeks and seem to be losing a bit of weight , ive got my annual review in 2 weeks and i believe ill be getting my hb test done aswell , what i can't understand is why my levels seem to go up when i havent eaten , and when i do eat sumthing they climb higher than 3mml , im eating healthy but sum days the blood readings dont make sense to me or have no reason why they should be what im seeing
Looking at your readings in relation to when and what you ate may explain why you are seeing more than a 3mmol/l increase.
Levels going up when you haven't eaten can be glucose release from your liver or the food you ate previously being slower to metabolise.

i'm still trying to get my head round it tbh , i only got diagnosed 3 years ago and had no idea at all , i have a better understanding of living with it , in my day to day life i dont know of any other diabetics to ask questions so still learning quite alot from everyone on here

i'm doing regular fasting have been for weeks so no eating from tea time around 6ish , fasting untill dinner next day usually around 12ish or if my levels get too low , i don't tend to go below 5 so when it gets around there i eat sumthing and check a few hours later , your probably correct about the liver re leasing that would explain the readings while im in the fast state

Why cant you use a low carb diet if your on dapagliflozin, just curious as ive been reducing my carb intake for a few weeks now and i wasn't aware that this is not suitable untill i read this post
Because of the risk of DKA. Should be covered in the patient information leaflet.

Oohh i see :( ah well that's me back to basics again nothing easy when it comes to managing this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back