Is the E600 glucose monitoring watch legit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admiral Benbow

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
So this guy on youtube has an E600 watch and says it can measure blood glucose and demonstrates it:
. My question is, what do you make of this watch?

Forget the Youtube promotional video and go and find the specifications. It somehow (does not tell you how) gets a blood glucose reading from shining three LEDs at the skin. If it were that easy, everybody would be at it. The spec does not give a tolerance level on any blood glucose reading and is accompanied by this statement:

...This product is not a medical device, and the test results are for reference purposes only, not for any medical purpose....

Roughly translated that means it is useless when it comes to blood glucose measurement. To cap it all, there is a picture showing a blood glucose reading of 0.52 mmol/l. in the specifications.

For me it is a bit of fun but of no practical use. No doubt there will be people out there (I assume like in your video which I have not watched) claiming different.

Just to let you know, I come from a technical R&D background and have seen many claims about kit that can do magic over the years. This is just another example.

Forget the Youtube promotional video and go and find the specifications. It somehow (does not tell you how) gets a blood glucose reading from shining three LEDs at the skin. If it were that easy, everybody would be at it. The spec does not give a tolerance level on any blood glucose reading and is accompanied by this statement:

...This product is not a medical device, and the test results are for reference purposes only, not for any medical purpose....

Roughly translated that means it is useless when it comes to blood glucose measurement. To cap it all, there is a picture showing a blood glucose reading of 0.52 mmol/l. in the specifications.

For me it is a bit of fun but of no practical use. No doubt there will be people out there (I assume like in your video which I have not watched) claiming different.

Just to let you know, I come from a technical R&D background and have seen many claims about kit that can do magic over the years. This is just another example.

I agree, this won't work effectively.
It will come.
Just not yet unfortunately.

That's my guess, too. The reviewer also doesn't seem that convinced. He correctly says the readings it was giving seem plausible but comments that he doesn't really believe non-invasive BG measurements.

On the positive side it does look quite cheap and I can believe the other measurements are OK (though watches vary quite a bit in accuracy on sleep tracking, step counts, heart rate, and the reviewer didn't seem to make any attempt to compare them even with other watches).

That's my guess, too. The reviewer also doesn't seem that convinced. He correctly says the readings it was giving seem plausible but comments that he doesn't really believe non-invasive BG measurements.

On the positive side it does look quite cheap and I can believe the other measurements are OK (though watches vary quite a bit in accuracy on sleep tracking, step counts, heart rate, and the reviewer didn't seem to make any attempt to compare them even with other watches).

Heart rate is probably ok.
A lot of watches seem to manage sleep quality.
I have a finger blood saturation device, that is a miracle of completely none invasive technology to read my O2 levels.
So I do believe it's coming.

Heart rate is probably ok.
A lot of watches seem to manage sleep quality.
I have a finger blood saturation device, that is a miracle of completely none invasive technology to read my O2 levels.
So I do believe it's coming.
I'd note that when tested more carefully (with devices being tested against each other and against proper medical devices) even things like heart rate and step counts vary quite a bit between devices. But I'm willing to believe this £50 watch is no worse than other similar devices.

(I think it's quite possible that (say) blood oxygen might be straightforwardly measurable in a way that blood glucose isn't. I don't know that that's the case but it doesn't seem implausible. We'll see, I guess.)

I'd note that when tested more carefully (with devices being tested against each other and against proper medical devices) even things like heart rate and step counts vary quite a bit between devices. But I'm willing to believe this £50 watch is no worse than other similar devices.

(I think it's quite possible that (say) blood oxygen might be straightforwardly measurable in a way that blood glucose isn't. I don't know that that's the case but it doesn't seem implausible. We'll see, I guess.)

I'm a Trekkie I guess.
The Voyage Home
"What is this, the Dark Ages?"

Everyday things get better.

Everyday things get better.
I completely agree with that. After all, right now we have sensors that work for 14 days emitting a glucose reading every minute while being small enough not to notice most of the time. (And my phone can play a video and produce (on the phone) subtitles, including in English even if the audio is in some other language (from a smallish set of languages, but that's nitpicking).)

I just think that some things are genuinely tricky (perhaps just not practical) and measuring blood glucose through skin might well end up being one of them.

So many millions of dollars of R&D money have been chasing the 'non-invasive' dream for decades (the glucowatch made a brief foray back in the day before disappearing because it didn't work).

One of the first diabetes events I was invited to was for C8 Medisensors (see the comments on this post) device based on raman spectroscopy. They had a CE marked product, and some clinical trial data. But the company haemorrhaged R&D money trying to get their wearable prototype to work more reliably and iron out the wrinkles. Apparently Apple hoovered up the IP and some of the R&D team, but that was a decade or so ago, and I don't think even the mighty fruit-based company can get non-invasive right yet.

Neither can Google (remember Google Glass??).

In short, there have been lots of attempts... but nothing has been able to make the grade yet, even with eye watering investment. So this device seems unlikely to be worth a shot.

So many millions of dollars of R&D money have been chasing the 'non-invasive' dream for decades (the glucowatch made a brief foray back in the day before disappearing because it didn't work).

One of the first diabetes events I was invited to was for C8 Medisensors (see the comments on this post) device based on raman spectroscopy. They had a CE marked product, and some clinical trial data. But the company haemorrhaged R&D money trying to get their wearable prototype to work more reliably and iron out the wrinkles. Apparently Apple hoovered up the IP and some of the R&D team, but that was a decade or so ago, and I don't think even the mighty fruit-based company can get non-invasive right yet.

Neither can Google (remember Google Glass??).

In short, there have been lots of attempts... but nothing has been able to make the grade yet, even with eye watering investment. So this device seems unlikely to be worth a shot.
It's a cheap toy.

So this guy on youtube has an E600 watch and says it can measure blood glucose and demonstrates it:
Hi,

I think for someone diagnosed with diabetes, this device wouldn't be accurate or reliable enough for day to day management. However, I think it does have some merit, in that it would be enough to establish someone's blood sugars are either thereabouts "normal" or excessively high. In other words, it may lead to people seeking further medical tests to establish a proper diagnosis.

It's a cheap toy.
One of the comments on another one suggests that's the case,

Dave is correct. The blood glucose is totally fake on these watches. I have tested one here vs an Accu-Chek unit and it is just guessing your glucose level based on the time of day. It is fake, fake fake!!​

Truely fake product that does nothing accurately. All reading is fake and randomly generated. Don't buy this fake chinese toy.

Welcome to the forum @IamReal2023

Diabetes UK have been getting a few enquiries about these recently. And you are right, they are not recommended.

• There is currently no regulation for this technology to be tested for accuracy in the same way that glucose sensors (CGM and Flash) are.
  • Where accuracy data is available and from customer reviews, this technology does not currently provide accurate enough data (especially for anyone living with type 1 diabetes)
  • People should continue to use the blood glucose monitoring equipment supplied by their diabetes teams.
  • If an individual with type 2 diabetes is considering purchasing one as a guide, they should discuss this with their diabetes healthcare professional. We should also make them aware of this GOV.UK webpage - Know what you're buying! which has information to help people buy medicines and medical devices online safely. Please note – this is not an endorsement of buying medicines/medical devices online – it is information on what people should look out for and check when looking at these products online
  • We would not recommend purchasing as a gift for a friend with diabetes

I have an E600.
Attached are my glucose reports. My daily activities, meal and waking times vary but my readings do not appear to vary much.
Is this possible or normal or are the readings being simulated?

Attachments

• blood glucose.jpg
    blood glucose.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 19
All the daily plots seem to be exactly the same shape which is a bit silly - blood glucose does not vary like that.

I am afraid you have been conned mate, and I would suggest that it would be unwise to make any decisions based on what the watch says!

Alas those do look like they are not genuine reflections of glucose variation @cruise - they are just too even.

By contrast here are my plots from an invasive (filament under the skin) Dexcom G6 - you’ll see that even with the benefit of hybrid closed loop there is still far more variation in rises and falls around meals and in between.

1688884150753.jpeg

Alas those do look like they are not genuine reflections of glucose variation @cruise - they are just too even.

By contrast here are my plots from an invasive (filament under the skin) Dexcom G6 - you’ll see that even with the benefit of hybrid closed loop there is still far more variation in rises and falls around meals and in between.

View attachment 26572
Nice graphs Mike. A good advert for closed loop.

Thought so. Didn't cost too much thankfully.
The rest of the readings appear more accurate and detailed than my Samsung Watch 3.
So not a total loss.
Thank you all.

No chance you could return it @cruise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back