Is Spam ok to use in small amounts in an omelette?

Attachments

• 1723481136029.jpeg
    1723481136029.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 3
The problem with Spam, reconstituted ham and similar products is the high levels of sodium. Sodium is known to bad for BP. And high BP I diabetics increases risk of complications!
I usually boil bacon for a minute or so before cooking, but in hot weather I really need to be sure I have enough salt as I am prone to get cramps, I find salt and water are needed to keep cramps at bay.

I think we were introduced to Spam during the 2nd WW by the USA, probably because it was in their military ration packs which were much coveted not least because they were different. Post WW2 we frittered away much of the US loan (Marshall Aid) on importing all sorts of things, including Spam; and that's why I remember it in my childhood: plentiful while rationing continued and I assume cheap.

I haven't rechecked this but I think corn beef first came from Australia. We had during the 1950s a thriving export business of sending our Aberdeen Angus cattle to Australia and South America, bringing a fair amount back in corned beef tins on the boat's return trips. Total further digression, but I think mildly Interesting, during the war our cattle were big and tall at the shoulder - Aberdeen Angus particularly. So by rapidly embarking on a breeding programme we pretty quickly altered these animals to be shorter and thus cattle shipping became more cost effective by getting the cattle double stacked within the space originally needed for single animals. There are newsreel pictures of a major Scottish breeder being shorter than his prize bull and a few years later towering over his cattle! Those same newsreels showed the arrival of dozens of harvesting machines from the US, proudly being driven in a very long convoy out of Southampton docks. All part of the Marshall Plan aid. Most of that machinery couldn't be used initially; our fields were too small, the machines way too big for our country lanes and although we grubbed out miles of hedges to create 100 acre fields, our farmers still couldn't afford the already subsidised machinery from the US. That problem prevailed into the 1960s in Staffordshire, where I grew up.
That's fascinating

Why are spam and corned beef in these tins with those ridiculous turning keys ?

Are they pressure packed ?

That's fascinating

Why are spam and corned beef in these tins with those ridiculous turning keys ?

Are they pressure packed ?
I think they might be vacuum packed. The turning keys are simply the technology used when they were first devised and as it worked it hasn't been altered. Industry tends to alter only very slowly unless pushed by circumstances, due to the expense and the problems associated with making changes.

Those turning keys were commonly found on tinned meat in military ration packs, not just spam.and corned beef. Each pack also contained a simple, small, basic tin opener; this needed forcing through the tin lid then could be made to cut open that lid, leaving a nasty sharp edge. But the tins with turning keys seemed to be made of stronger metal and the crude tin opener was often insufficient for he task.

My go to is cooking bacon. We get it cheap from Morrisons. Its branded with their "Savers" branding. It comes as a vacuum packed 500g. It's all the trimmings from where they've made all their bacon rashers the same size. Often a mix of smoked and non smoked. I get a pack, chop it all up into something similar to lardons, portion up and freeze. Cheap, tasty and great for an emergency omelette filling, or even thrown into a risotto made with cauli rice.

Total further digression, but I think mildly Interesting, during the war our cattle were big and tall at the shoulder - Aberdeen Angus particularly. So by rapidly embarking on a breeding programme we pretty quickly altered these animals to be shorter and thus cattle shipping became more cost effective by getting the cattle double stacked within the space originally needed for single animals. There are newsreel pictures of a major Scottish breeder being shorter than his prize bull and a few years later towering over his cattle!

Very interesting. A lot of British beef is still at least partially Aberdeen Angus as farmers tend to use an Aberdeen Angus bull/sperm for a heifer's first calf since the breed now has small heads also, which makes birthing easier

Back