Is my heart broken ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can understand your anxiety as I was referred for an echocardiogram a few years back. Shame you had to go private but it may turn out to be a good decision.

Easier said than done I know. But cross that bridge when you get there.
You’re exactly right! Anyway I don’t have time to cross bridges yet, I’ve got 2 weeks of doctor googling to do :rofl: I’m kidding guys …. It’s only 12 days !

I can understand your anxiety as I was referred for an echocardiogram a few years back. Shame you had to go private but it may turn out to be a good decision.
Well I wasn’t going to go private but I got so fed up with waiting and when I did speak to somebody at the hospital they said they couldn’t give me a timescale. I have digestion problems and was convinced my palpitations (I have hundreds a day at the minute ) were when my stomach was playing up, the gastro guy said nope you really have to get this heart checked. So that’s what I did.

You did absolutely the right thing @EmmaL76 It’s pointless to say try not to worry, but try not to worry too much. The important thing is you’ve got it identified and are having further investigations to pin down the problem. That’s well along the way to sorting it, or, at least, making it less of a problem in your daily life.

You did absolutely the right thing @EmmaL76 It’s pointless to say try not to worry, but try not to worry too much. The important thing is you’ve got it identified and are having further investigations to pin down the problem. That’s well along the way to sorting it, or, at least, making it less of a problem in your daily life.
Ahh thanks inka, to be honest I am stressed about it but nowhere near the levels I have been in the past with this kind of thing. I just hate waiting.. that’s the worst.

You’re exactly right! Anyway I don’t have time to cross bridges yet, I’ve got 2 weeks of doctor googling to do :rofl: I’m kidding guys …. It’s only 12 days !
Friend of mine had an unexpected TIA in her 40s. Turned out on investigation, she had a hole in the heart. She had an op to fix it, and has since had a new lease of life, suddenly realising why she never had the stamina to do things that other people had, but now she has it, and hasn’t looked back!

Chest sounded clear and cardiovascular examination revealed pansystolic murmur heard at the apex radiating to the axilla and also systolic murmur heard at the left sternal edge.

I’ve just received the bill, and a lovely letter with the header query significant heart valve disease with the above extract that my consultant has sent to my doctor. Not gonna lie, it’s taking an awful lot to not google this stuff as I don’t know what any of it means 🙄 I hope all this is sorted before my holidays … there’s always something :(

Chest sounded clear and cardiovascular examination revealed pansystolic murmur heard at the apex radiating to the axilla and also systolic murmur heard at the left sternal edge.

I’ve just received the bill, and a lovely letter with the header query significant heart valve disease with the above extract that my consultant has sent to my doctor. Not gonna lie, it’s taking an awful lot to not google this stuff as I don’t know what any of it means 🙄 I hope all this is sorted before my holidays … there’s always something :(
I am reminded of the story of a new technique to check the wheels of steam engines for flaws, which was used on a whole heap of wheels languishing in a corner of the shed. One in particular was declared deeply flawed and moved to the doorway to be sent for scrapping. When its serial number was checked it was found to have been in use for many decades moving heavy goods trains, as it always 'rang true' when struck (are you old enough to remember the wheel tappers and shunters social club on 1970's Granada TV?) it was considered safe.
Your heart has been doing what it should, all be it with a bit of extra noise, from before you were born and there will be many others living with heart murmurs which are benign - try not to worry.
These days repairing a heart valve is possible without much fuss, if it has to be done. One of my cousins had a loose part of a valve secured by a couple of stitches of carbon fibre using tools fed through a tube inserted through a blood vessel and has been just fine for many years.

Ha ha, thanks so much for that! I will happy be that rusty old wheel although I was born in 76’ I love these kind of perspective stories keep em coming xx

My grandmother had a very leaky heart valve @EmmaL76 When she was around 80 and still fit and active, her GP told my mum that he didn’t know how she kept on going. But she kept on going for many years after that, staying active and healthy until her mid-90s!

I got access to my medical records recently. Very interesting some of it. I don't know much about the heart but it's good to know others do. The best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back