Is my heart broken ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmmaL76

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Me again… so I’m stressing as usual. Had heart palps for a while, diagnosed anemic and started in iron. The pals have gone down considerably. In the mean time my gp wanted a cardiac work up so I went in to do an ecg, and I’m due to have a monitor fitted that i need to wear for a while. After my ecg I received a text from my doctors saying no significant abnormalities, ok I thought I’d rather no abnormalities but I will take it. Out of curiosity I went on my nhs website and downloaded my report, only to see the words incomplete right bundle branch block !!! What on earth is this? Is it indeed insignificant? Does anybody know ??

Me again… so I’m stressing as usual. Had heart palps for a while, diagnosed anemic and started in iron. The pals have gone down considerably. In the mean time my gp wanted a cardiac work up so I went in to do an ecg, and I’m due to have a monitor fitted that i need to wear for a while. After my ecg I received a text from my doctors saying no significant abnormalities, ok I thought I’d rather no abnormalities but I will take it. Out of curiosity I went on my nhs website and downloaded my report, only to see the words incomplete right bundle branch block !!! What on earth is this? Is it indeed insignificant? Does anybody know ??
Apparently not. I've had an identified systolic murmur for 55+ yrs, which was originally described as insignificant and has remained so ever since. But whenever I've been for pre-op assessment, it's never picked up - until I tell the assessor. Then I have various ECGs and it remains insignificant. I'm grateful someone checks each time, but inevitably it makes me ponder on what if something has changed ....
Have a look at:

No idea but sending (((HUGS))) for the anxiety it is obviously causing you if not the "right bundle branch block" itself.

There was a time when ignorance was bliss, when we didn't know this stuff and just took a doctor's word that we were OK. Now sadly we are quite aware that doctors are overworked and fallible and the NHS is falling apart and we need to keep a close eye on our own health and learn what all this stuff means so that we can push for more support if we need it.

Apparently not. I've had an identified systolic murmur for 55+ yrs, which was originally described as insignificant and has remained so ever since. But whenever I've been for pre-op assessment, it's never picked up - until I tell the assessor. Then I have various ECGs and it remains insignificant. I'm grateful someone checks each time, but inevitably it makes me ponder on what if something has changed ....
Have a look at:
Thankyou so much for this ! I will have a read xx

No idea but sending (((HUGS))) for the anxiety it is obviously causing you if not the "right bundle branch block" itself.

There was a time when ignorance was bliss, when we didn't know this stuff and just took a doctor's word that we were OK. Now sadly we are quite aware that doctors are overworked and fallible and the NHS is falling apart and we need to keep a close eye on our own health and learn what all this stuff means so that we can push for more support if we need it.
Funnily enough my mum just said something very similar. Thanks @rebrascora xx

Anything to do with the heart is stressful @EmmaL76 Sometimes worrying about it can cause symptoms itself. The important thing is “No significant abnormalities”. Focus on that.

I’ve taken the important bits from that article for you:

“…Instead of moving together on the left and right sides, the signal on the right side is running behind. This creates an irregular heartbeat. Usually, the problem isn’t serious.
……..incomplete right bundle branch block doesn’t increase your risk of heart attack and death.”

I totally get the worry. I had to have an ECG and they said a similar thing - insignificant/minor changes - but I still got stressed at first. If your palpitations have reduced, then that’s good. I found stress was making mine worse. I also had ectopic beats. Both these have greatly reduced and staying calm and positive has helped with that. HRT has also helped a lot. The GP said low oestrogen could cause them.

Anything to do with the heart is stressful @EmmaL76 Sometimes worrying about it can cause symptoms itself. The important thing is “No significant abnormalities”. Focus on that.

I’ve taken the important bits from that article for you:

“…Instead of moving together on the left and right sides, the signal on the right side is running behind. This creates an irregular heartbeat. Usually, the problem isn’t serious.
……..incomplete right bundle branch block doesn’t increase your risk of heart attack and death.”

I totally get the worry. I had to have an ECG and they said a similar thing - insignificant/minor changes - but I still got stressed at first. If your palpitations have reduced, then that’s good. I found stress was making mine worse. I also had ectopic beats. Both these have greatly reduced and staying calm and positive has helped with that. HRT has also helped a lot. The GP said low oestrogen could cause them.
Thanks so much for the reassurance. I have calmed down considerably now. My palps are a lot better taking the iron so I’m just thinking positive xx

I looked into automated ECG "interpretations" after my last one came up with "Premature QRS transition in right precordials" .... ie potentially worrying gibberish.

Where I got to ...

These automated "interpretations" are notoriously unhelpful without actual human interpretation. In particular, they throw up lots of clinically unimportant messages. If your doc doesn't see any need to follow up, it's very unlikely that you have an actual issue. But obv you should def talk with him/her about it if you want more comfort.

(In my case as far as I can work out the indication is potentially a good thing as it happens, to the extent that it means anything at all.)

Thankyou guys. I have a follow up at the hospital but I have no idea when. Im pretty sure it’s all going to be fine. Always had a bit of heart anxiety since having preeclampsia a couple of times, then the diabetes got chucked in to the mix and my brain does overtime. Maybe it’s my brain I need to worry about more than my heart :rofl:

As they say every little bit helps. Well i went to decaf coffee & tea. Touch wood never had a palp since.

Good point. I’d forgotten that. I adore proper coffee but I gave it up too. I do have normal tea but not too strong and not too many cups (I change to decaf if I’m going to have lots). Not only did dropping the coffee help my palpitations, it also helped my stomach. I don’t drink any coffee now not even decaf. I never thought I’d be able to cut it out, but it’s made a great difference and so wasn’t as painful as I thought it would be to do.

I don’t have any caffeine at all because I have LPR ( silent reflux) I don’t like coffee and always have decaff tea. However wine, that’ll do it for me, not quite sure I’m ready to give that up just yet although that doesn’t help with the LPR either lol

How annoying! I understand why you’re not keen on giving up the wine! Have you tried experimenting to see if some wines have less effect than others? If it’s the alcohol, Old World wines might be better than New. I find I can’t tolerate the stronger red wines now. Another joy of silly old perimenopause 🙄

Oh yes inka, I experiment all the time 😉 I’ve been known to mix with soda if it’s really bothersome but that is the last resort. Thanks for the suggestion. I mainly stick to Pinot and Gavi but if I want to really set the reflux off I have Prosecco which is my fave

Anxiety and stress also put extra strain on your heart. I know it's not as simple as just turning off anxiety (I myself suffer from it) but you can control many thoughts and emotions once you recognise that you're anxious.

Simple breathing exercises, grounding techniques or simply talking yourself into positive thinking can instantly help you feel more at peace. I've learnt in my 10 weeks of having T1 that you're under constant pressure of having to manage yourself, and having additional issues on top of that can really pull you down. Overthinking and anxiety basically go hand in hand, it's understandable to worry about it but it's not productive to worry about things that you don't have control over or that you can't change.

Once you're in that fight or flight mode, your adrenaline is racing and your thought process is not going to be the same as normal.... Control the thoughts and you control the anxiety.

Sending you positive thoughts and some well wishes 🙂

My pulse is strong and smooth, but also irregular to the point that anyone actually feeling it raises their eyebrows and usually starts to ask about symptoms.
I do not worry about it at all - it used to be all over the shop after I'd had a few doses of Covid and two jabs, but I gave up the jabs and have not had a bad dose of Covid since. Mind you, five times is a bit much.
I'm not absolutely 100% now, but I am almost 72 and have to be realistic - my Mum never even reached 50 so I can't complain. When I get a bit tired on the trampoline I just have a sit down and admire the apple trees.

Have a look at:
I’m picking this up from a while ago, see I’ve only just seen a cardiologist. I was referred in March for testing through nhs but nothing happened. My symptoms got a little worse so I went to see a private cardio yesterday. I was a really good girl and kept my anxiety in check and I was very matter of fact like I knew it was nothing, but as soon as he asked me to lie down and he started to listen to my chest I felt a little panicked. Then I looked at his face and it got worse, he kept listening to the same spot over and over then he took off his stethoscope and said “have you ever had your chest listed to before?” I said not that I can remember, he said there is a substantial murmur not sure of the grade or systolic / Dystolic. He then went on to say that it could be a hole in the heart or leaking valve disease!!! No mention of the possibility of insignificant or innocent. Just you have a heart problem and we just need to know which one. So this is the point that I wanted to melt into a puddle , instead I popped my top on and said “Thankyou doctor” and headed to reception to book my echo which is on 2nd august. I am trying so hard not get overwhelmed but it’s so hard. Health anxiety is a beast… mind you is it anxiety ? Because when I feel there’s something wrong, there usually is … so maybe is nervous intuition.

Easier said than done I know. But cross that bridge when you get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back