Is it possible to go into remission/reversal type 2 diabetes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all your responses guys and I’m sorry if I’ve driven us a little off course. Im just dashing out but wanted to say I have antibodies. But produce pretty adequate insulin. Im slim and was very fit (now I’m a lazy sod) To start off with I was told on discovery of antibodies defo type 1, since then I have been told I’m more likely a type 2 although an unusual one. Now I hear of all these phenotypes of type 2 and im so confused. Apparently antigad doesn’t always rule out type 2. Please admin can we have a mouth wide open and crying emoji

It appears that T2 with antibodies does indeed exist, but they call it LADA in this paper (Just to add to the confusion) and it seems LADA itself isn't heterogeneous and has many different types:

A number of patients with type 2 diabetes are GAD antibody positive. A Diabetes Outcome Progression Trial (ADOPT) is a randomized, double-blind clinical trial in recently diagnosed drug-naïve patients with type 2 diabetes that allows for the evaluation of GAD positivity in the context of anthropometric and biochemical characteristics.

It's a complicated condition and not all that much is known about it.

Why does he think you're LADA? Looking at your history it would seem... unlikely!

He is mainly fixated on me having SOMETHING auto-immune because there are swathes and swathes of the conditions in the family and I have tested positive for,................................ none. That I had a historic diabetes diagnosis just gave him something to cotton onto and secondly, whilst a senior Endo, I don't think he has much to do with T2 patients. His real, real passion are thyroid conditions (the reason I see him, for my apparently non-auto-immune thyroid challenges).

He is very interested in me and has run antibody tests for rafts of conditions, including some very scary options.

His parting words to me are almost always, "when your numbers start to rise, don't be too alarmed if they won't play ball. Just come back and see me."

Anyway, he transformed my life by largely sorting out my thyroid. I'd prefer a tweak or two, but he thinks best not to rock a far more settled boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back