Is diabetes progressive? Update….

Status
Not open for further replies.
Traditionally Total Chols recommendation for Diabetics is under 4. The current recommendations focus on the non-hdl figure and the absolute level of LDL ( the so called 'Bad' cholesterol). The total/ hdl ratio has been downgraded in importance although it still appears on NHS test results.

And don't be put off by scaremongering about statins, they are an important resource in the management of the consequences of T2 diabetes. The research on them suggests they are 'safe and well tolerated'.

It's important to knock your Lipid Panel into shape because Diabetic Dyslipidemia ( high Total Chols, high LDL and lower HDL) is one of the earliest complications and a forerunner of cardiovascular complications which are the main complication T2s are facing.
Thanks. Is it only by taking statins you an ‘knock them into shape’? My diet includes all the things recommended for reducing cholesterol and yet….. . It’s also strange that it has jumped in the 5 months I’ve been reducing in weight to improve my HbA1c.

Thanks. Is it only by taking statins you an ‘knock them into shape’? My diet includes all the things recommended for reducing cholesterol and yet….. . It’s also strange that it has jumped in the 5 months I’ve been reducing in weight to improve my HbA1c.
Diet is said to be able to reduce Total Chols by 10%. That might not be enough for a T2 with 7.5 Total Chols. I thought people with chols over 7 were tested for Familial Hypercholesterolemia, FH, and also their blood relatives ?

Low Carbing can cause chols to rise in some individuals.

Atorvastatin almost did for me - I have been encouraged to take other, similar things in the last 5 years, but I asked for information about the beneficial effects on health and life when taking statins, and so far no information has been forthcoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back