Is anyone using iOS17 with Libre?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bridges

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Has anyone successfully update despite Abbot telling you that they have not approved it?

Thanks for responding Wendal. Did you choose to ignore Abbotts advice as I want to change my iPhone and have kept it on OS16 as advised by Abbott but the new phone will of course come with OS17

No worries Bridges.I was not even aware of Abbotts advice and I only have a work phone so I automatically update any new advised software.
So I just updated in normal way and replaced my new sensor yesterday and everything works as normal.

PS I use a Reader to initiate the Libre sensor but use the App on my phone to do readings as well so I hope that does not make any difference

Just checked my phone and it is on IOS16.7.2 and says it is up to date and I have the automatic update on, so I don't know if it is because mine is an old iphone or the update roll out is staged. I gave up using my phone for Libre and went back to using the reader and far happier at that. Much more reliable and easy to use in my opinion.

Just checked my phone and it is on IOS16.7.2 and says it is up to date and I have the automatic update on, so I don't know if it is because mine is an old iphone or the update roll out is staged. I gave up using my phone for Libre and went back to using the reader and far happier at that. Much more reliable and easy to use in my opinion.
What model is it and what are the benefits of using the reader over the phone App as it means carrying more around with you?

Mine is an iphone 8 and part of the reason I like the reader so much is that I have used a reader from the start and the control are very simple and and I am used to the format and it catches the NFC signal much easier than the phone. The reader is small and neat and easy to put in a pocket. iphone is large and heavy and cumbersome and the signal drops out occasionally and to be honest I am not joined at the hip with my phone like I am the reader. I will head out and leave my phone at home or in my coat pocket hanging up somewhere, but my Libre reader is always with me. I swapped to the iphone from a Motorola on android specifically so I could use LibreLink as the Motorola wasn't compatible but I don't find the iphone controls as intuitive as android and there were a couple of times when I woke up in the night hypo and my hypo brain couldn't work out how to access the app and use it, and I got caught in a mental loop of trying to figure out how to use the phone instead of taking my hypo treatment. It probably took 5 quite frightening minutes to pull my thoughts away from being stuck on my phone and deal with the hypo. I have never had that happen with the reader and I can wake up scan, calculate how many JBs I need and be back to sleep in minutes with the reader. Don't even need to sit up in bed or put the light on. Plus the reader holds it's charge for almost a week whereas the phone nees pretty much daily charging. You don't get CGM on the reader, it is just a flash monitor, but I am fine with that. Sometimes the more clever things are, the more that can go wrong. Libre reader is simple and basic and reliable. You do need a means of downloading to LibreView like a PC though.

As you can see it is horses for courses and what works best for you.
Personally I like using both as they can provide different info so I prefer the App for the wider range of data and it is downloaded straight to my DSN and GP whereas the Reader is great for an instant picture and can be carried easily.

According to the Interweb there are 30,000+ diabetics on CGM. All the concerned parties should be hauled up in front of Panorama. The OS's are getting over complicated. I have noticed that a simple query can return utter rubbish as can predictive text! :(

Appreciate all those who have bothered to reply. However, I am puzzled as why there there appears to be no one else out there who is experiencing the dilemma of upgrading the software on their iPhone to OS17?

Is there anyone out there who has upgraded their software to OS17 following Abbott (manufacturers of Libre Freestyle 2) sent out an email recommending you not to upgrade to this software? And if so did you experience any problems?

Changes in Apple’s iOS 17 could affect the way Libre users get alerts.

Have any Libre-users on the forum upgraded to iOS17? Does it work OK? Was it relatively easy to set the alerts to continue to happen properly?

I had read that problems had been experienced so I turned my auto updates off just in case. Until I hear otherwise I’m happy to stick to what I’ve got. Sorry that’s not what you want to hear. I thought we might have heard more from Abbott re this but nothing so far.

I merged your earlier threads with one I started following a query this morning to the forum inbox @Bridges (so that the link I sent that person still works!)

From what I can tell it seems to be a settings thing rather than a compatibility / not working thing (as Abbott say ‘if you choose to upgrade’ rather than ‘don’t upgrade or it will stop working’?)

I’m running ios 17 and my Dexcom G6 still seems to be perfectly happy, and alarms are coming through OK. I have Critcal Alerts and Time-Sensitive Notifications enabled, and have ‘Show Notifications’ enabled under the new ‘Standby Mode’ in Settings

Last edited:
I have been running ios 17.1.2 since it was released and have had no problems at all with my Libre (if anything it is working better!)

Having heard nothing from Abbott about the compatibility issue of sensors and upgrading to iOS 17, I emailed them and got a reply saying this has now been resolved. However, since upgrading to iOS 17.5.1 I find that my iPhone will no longer continuously monitor my sensor. Abbott has kindly provided me with solutions, but the problem persists. I can only get a reading if I scan the sensor. Does anyone else suffer from this problem?

Having heard nothing from Abbott about the compatibility issue of sensors and upgrading to iOS 17, I emailed them and got a reply saying this has now been resolved. However, since upgrading to iOS 17.5.1 I find that my iPhone will no longer continuously monitor my sensor. Abbott has kindly provided me with solutions, but the problem persists. I can only get a reading if I scan the sensor. Does anyone else suffer from this problem?
Hi, I’ve stayed on iOS 16 but really want to upgrade so I have the up to date security etc for my phone in general but am concerned about effecting the effectiveness of my libre 2. Spoke to someone today at Abbott and you can’t get a straight answer - just constantly referred to online statements which are vague & unhelpful. I was about to take the plunge & update & check my settings when I saw this post - the advisor today mentioned you may no longer get continuous updates and would need to scan in order to get an up to date reading. I’m on iPhone 11 - what’s everyone’s experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back