Is anyone else having problems with their Libre?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beckyb300

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

Yesterday, I applied my third Libre in 3 weeks as I keep getting the ‘sensor error’ message after one or two days of having them - I’ve just had to take the third one off too due to a sensor error. I’ve used Libre for a year without any problems (other than a few have fallen off) so I don’t understand why three in a row have all broken.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I’m applying in the correct places so I don’t think it’s my application that’s causing it.

Faulty batch? I had one recently that the filament was just folded up at right angles between my skin and the sensor so simply hadn't inserted and wouldn't start. The one immediately after so off the same prescription was AOK but then the next, which was the one Abbott sent me - expired 2 days early. Sodding nuisance - but couldn't be bothered to ring em.

Hi,

Yesterday, I applied my third Libre in 3 weeks as I keep getting the ‘sensor error’ message after one or two days of having them - I’ve just had to take the third one off too due to a sensor error. I’ve used Libre for a year without any problems (other than a few have fallen off) so I don’t understand why three in a row have all broken.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I’m applying in the correct places so I don’t think it’s my application that’s causing it.
Is the error message happening when you NFC scan? Are you using a phone? Android or Apple, if using phone?

I recently had a load of CGM errors. I do not use Libre but wonder whether the issue was similar.
I thought I was putting my sensor in the right place but after a couple of days (or during start up in one case) it was erroring. When I got in touch with the product support, I think we worked out that the issue was where I was placing my sensor had insufficient fat. The filament needs to go into fat, not muscle and as my arms are reasonably muscly, I was did not have enough fat where I placed the sensor.
I now use a slightly different area which is fatty enough and have experienced no further issues.
I would like to use the previous area and considering purchasing some dabbers and heading out to the bingo hall to build up my "wings" 😛

I've had the last (iirc) 5 fail in a row now (4 under-reading, one Bluetooth failure), I'm ever hopeful it's a bad batch and they've got rid of them all, we'll see.....

I had a couple that would not connect via bluetooth, both replaced and now OK

Libre is a great innovation, and enabling me to titrate down my bolus insulin. However, I have had 4 startup errors over a few months. But the biggest problem, a few days ago, which caused me to go to A&E, was the sensor showed a glucose spike >22. My normal is 7-10. The reading just kept going up and rapid acting (Penfill) didn't work. I got very worried about DKA. Finger prick @ A&E showed 12 and 14, with normal lactate, so sensor faulty. Moral? Take lancets and meter with you at all times to double check Libre reading. The Libre readings could have led to an insulin over-dosage and a very dangerous hypo.

But the biggest problem, a few days ago, which caused me to go to A&E, was the sensor showed a glucose spike >22. My normal is 7-10. The reading just kept going up and rapid acting (Penfill) didn't work. I got very worried about DKA. Finger prick @ A&E showed 12 and 14, with normal lactate, so sensor faulty.
That sounds like you’ve not read the instructions properly to be honest. You must always check highs and lows with a fingerprick before correcting, not correct and go to a&e without even checking. You must also always carry fingerprick meter and strips with you on every single journey you drive.

Your comment was fairly blunt, tbh. I am not sure the finger-prick testing was mentioned in the Libre instructions quite as you described. I checked the information I have but, of course, I may have missed it. So I would like to know where you found this instruction. It certainly wasn't mentioned by the customer services agent at Abbott. In fact the user instructions indicate that Libre can be used instead of finger-prick testing for the most part. Nevertheless, your comment is sensible guidance even if it is not detailed fully in the Libre instructions. Technology is never 100% foolproof so it is worth having an independent method of validation.

Your comment was fairly blunt, tbh. I am not sure the finger-prick testing was mentioned in the Libre instructions quite as you described. I checked the information I have but, of course, I may have missed it. So I would like to know where you found this instruction. It certainly wasn't mentioned by the customer services agent at Abbott. In fact the user instructions indicate that Libre can be used instead of finger-prick testing for the most part. Nevertheless, your comment is sensible guidance even if it is not detailed fully in the Libre instructions. Technology is never 100% foolproof so it is worth having an independent method of validation.
I notice recently they have changed their advert to say 'no more ROUTINE finger pricking' which I'm sure it didn't before giving the impression that people didn't ever need to.
Sometimes information is very hidden.

Your comment was fairly blunt, tbh. I am not sure the finger-prick testing was mentioned in the Libre instructions quite as you described.
It’s on the homepage of the abbot website, in the FAQs, and in their training videos. If you didn’t know that you need to fingerprick any time your sensor results don’t match expectations then the problem is that you haven’t read the instructions properly. Sorry if that sounds blunt, it wasn’t mean to upset you.
IMG_3708.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I am kind of with you there. I genuinely cannot remember the last time I routinely pricked my finger when Libre told me I was high or low, otherwise I would still be pricking it 10 times a day. The whole point of Libre (which was sold to me) was it is no longer required. I tend to know instinctively if my Libre is "misbehaving" by how I feel, and generally speaking have had no issues correcting without pricking my finger.

I am kind of with you there. I genuinely cannot remember the last time I routinely pricked my finger when Libre told me I was high or low, otherwise I would still be pricking it 10 times a day. The whole point of Libre (which was sold to me) was it is no longer required. I tend to know instinctively if my Libre is "misbehaving" by how I feel, and generally speaking have had no issues correcting without pricking my finger.
It's very hard to feel the difference if there's say a 2mmol/l offset which has gradually occurred over the life of the sensor, unless you habitually run at the lower limit of the CGM (which would then make you hypo if it's reading low, which you would feel.) If it's actually overreading then you may be completely oblivious even for larger offsets.

I try to do a couple of calibration blood tests every day, ideally one at a lower level and one at a higher level (as the the calibration curve gradient can change too)

The whole point of Libre (which was sold to me) was it is no longer required.
That's most certainly not why I started buying sensors (or why it was suggested as something I might consider). I wanted to see what was happening when I wasn't testing, in particular overnight. (Next closest would have been an overnight stay in hospital being woken up every hour or two for blood tests, which was offered. They also put me on a waiting list for a CGM loan, but the machine was apparently broken so that would have taken a while.)

Could you have been dehydrated at the time of the false high readings? I’ve read that this can affect the viscosity of interstitial fluid. And throw blood readings too in extreme cases?

No the point of a CGM such as LIbre is to see what is happening between finger pricks.
It says clearly finger pricks are required if symptoms don't match readings or alarms. I am not saying I am correct, what I am saying is that generally speaking it works for me without having to prick my finger.

It says clearly finger pricks are required if symptoms don't match readings or alarms. I am not saying I am correct, what I am saying is that generally speaking it works for me without having to prick my finger.
I am not suggesting it cannot replace most finger pricks.
What I am saying is that is not the "whole point" of a CGM. The point of a CGM is being able to see what happens to your BG all the time rather than just the 4 times you used to prick your finger.
I never had any problems with finger pricking but I was frustrated not to know whether my BG was at 6.0 because it was coming down from 12 or because it was rising from 4.0. Having this data has enabled me to smooth out the highs and lows that I never knew I was having. Or to warn me that was BG was falling so I could treat it before I reach hypo level.
And, that is the WHOLE POINT of a CGM. It is not replacing finger pricks because there are far worse things associated with having diabetes.

Last edited:
I have had problems with every single sensor so far. They fall off, 15 attempts to scan. stop scanning altogether and most recently an error message saying it had stopped working and I should apply for a new one. I am type 2 so I am paying for mine, £100 per month or thereabouts. Not great value and very inconvenient.

My friend's son, who is type 1 recently went on a week long trip to Prague and took 3 with him because they are so unreliable. At least he doesn't have to pay for his.

@ToniMc having Type 1 and a sensor falling off or failing is more than an inconvenience. It is a loss of support and guidance avoiding dangerous hypos. Yes, we can apply another one but until we get back to where the next one is, prepare our skin, apply it and wait for it to warm up, we are without that very beneficial assistance. Yes, many of us survived for years without a CGM but that does not mean we should go without now.

Whether we pay for them or not (and anyone who pays taxes pay for sensors provided by the NHS), we need to report the problem to Abbott. Usually, they will replace them. So, it does not work out expensive when they fail. In fact, it probably works out cheaper because you get the days before it failed, effectively, free.

If you are finding lots of sensors fall off, maybe you need extra protection for them such as a cover or a strap to hold them in place and remind you it is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back