Int'l consensus statement on definition of T2D "remission"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will ask the question!

Though to be fair to DUK, DiRECT is a large, ongoing, and respected piece of work and I think it would be viewed as important whoever had funded it 🙂

I will ask the question!

Though to be fair to DUK, DiRECT is a large, ongoing, and respected piece of work and I think it would be viewed as important whoever had funded it 🙂
Hi @everydayupsanddowns I'd also be interested please - I agree DUK & DiRECT are hugely important pieces of work - I wouldn't be able to participate in the NHS Pilot if it wasn't for both!

The main issue I have is that I'm finding personally that true 'remission' is well below 48 or even 42 - I would say 48 - 42 range is more like well controlled...

To me, 'Remission' means my body is starting to work properly again slowly but surely, which could come back if I slip into old ways...?

The main issue I have is that I'm finding personally that true 'remission' is well below 48 or even 42 - I would say 48 - 42 range is more like well controlled...

Yes, reading the DUK position statement, I think it was quite difficult to come to an agreement, and I suspect there were a variety of views and opinions to balance.

I will ask the question!

To be clear, I'm not suggesting the DiRECT trial is shady or in any way inappropriate, but I would like to think they looked at other ways of achieving remission, and other dietary approaches.

I'm afraid for me asking people to give up what I consider to be proper food (shakes haven't ever been part of my life, and for now, I can't ever seeing them feature), the learning what they have to do to maintain any losses achieved doesn't make sense.

I feel that all those changes are more likely to lead to a revolving door situation in terms of weight regain and potential re-crossing the diagnostic threshold.

Thought this thread, and the paper it quotes, was interesting in the context of this discussion

It specifically mentions the effectiveness of low-carb approaches, but recognises that some people can find these hard to maintain, plus the importance of being able to maintain either the weight loss, or the balance of macronutrients which have been involved in achieving the remission.

I have read before that low carb approaches seem to struggle in some clinical trials - part of me wonders whether it makes a difference whether low carb is an approach that you discover for yourself, vs one that you are told you have to do by a Dr?

Summary: Defines "remission" as HbA1c < 48 mmol/mol persisting for at least 3 months in the absence of meds.

Given that this is the consensus of of the ADA, DUK, the EASD and the ES, I guess it is now the "official" definition.

People with type 2 diabetes should be considered in remission after sustaining normal blood sugar levels for three months or more, according to a new consensus statement from the Endocrine Society, the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD), Diabetes UK and the American Diabetes Association, and co-published in Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, Diabetologia, Diabetic Medicine and Diabetes Care.

About 10% of the U.S. population has diabetes, and these numbers continue to rise. People with type 2 diabetes can achieve “remission” by sustaining normal blood sugar levels for at least three months without taking diabetes medication. There is still a lot of uncertainty around how long remission will last and what factors are associated with a relapse. A person may require ongoing support to prevent a relapse or a hyperglycemic episode, and the long-term effects of remission on mortality, heart health and quality of life are not well understood.

“Our international group of experts suggest an HbA1c (average blood sugar) level of less than 6.5% [ie 48 mmol/mol] at least three months after stopping diabetes medication as the usual diagnostic criterion for diabetes remission,” said statement author and Endocrine Society member Matthew Riddle of Oregon Health & Science University in Portland, Ore. Riddle is chair of the Diabetes Remission Consensus writing group that developed the statement. “We also made suggestions for clinicians observing patients experiencing remission and discussed further questions and unmet needs regarding predictors and outcomes.”

The authors developed the following criteria to help clinicians and researchers evaluate and study diabetes remission using more consistent terminology and methods:

1. Remission should be defined as a return of HbA1c to less than 6.5% [48 mmol/mol] that occurs spontaneously or following an intervention and that persists for at least three months in the absence of usual glucose-lowering pharmacotherapy.
  2. When HbA1c is determined to be an unreliable marker of long-term glycemic control, fasting plasma glucose of less than 126 mg/dL (<7.0 mmol/L) or estimated HbA1c less than 6.5% calculated from CGM values can be used as alternate criteria.
  3. Testing of HbA1c to document a remission should be performed just prior to an intervention and no sooner than three months after initiation of the intervention or withdrawal of any glucose-lowering pharmacotherapy.
  4. Subsequent testing to determine long-term maintenance of a remission should be done at least yearly, together with the testing routinely recommended for potential complications of diabetes.
“Diabetes remission may be occurring more often due to advances in treatment,” said Amy Rothberg of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Mich. Rothberg represents the Endocrine Society as a member of the Diabetes Remission Consensus writing group. “More research is needed to determine the frequency, duration and effects on short- and long-term medical outcomes of remission of type 2 diabetes using available interventions.”

It's intriguing that the four bodies deciding this are Lobby/Pressure Groups. There doesn't seem to be any official medical body involved in it. This makes this definition of so-called 'remission' a . political decision rather than a medical one ? It's disappointing that it ignores all the other aspects of Type 2 and just focusses on the HbA1c. That plays into the narrative that T2s don't need to test because the A1c will decide everything. But according to this feeble definition of 'remission' a T2 could be taking a statin to combat their Diabetic Dyslipidemia or a blood pressure tablet to get their bp in the range for diabetics or an Ace Inhibitor for kidney problems and they would be said to be in 'remission' because they weren't taking metformin. Absurd tunnel vision. This definition seems to ignore the Metabolic Syndrome - the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse that ride together and exacerbate each other - Hypertension , Hypercholesterol, Overweight and Type 2 Diabetes. This definition of 'remission' seems to be 'golfing with one club'.

It's intriguing that the four bodies deciding this are Lobby/Pressure Groups. There doesn't seem to be any official medical body involved in it. This makes this definition of so-called 'remission' a . political decision rather than a medical one ? It's disappointing that it ignores all the other aspects of Type 2 and just focusses on the HbA1c. That plays into the narrative that T2s don't need to test because the A1c will decide everything. But according to this feeble definition of 'remission' a T2 could be taking a statin to combat their Diabetic Dyslipidemia or a blood pressure tablet to get their bp in the range for diabetics or an Ace Inhibitor for kidney problems and they would be said to be in 'remission' because they weren't taking metformin. Absurd tunnel vision. This definition seems to ignore the Metabolic Syndrome - the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse that ride together and exacerbate each other - Hypertension , Hypercholesterol, Overweight and Type 2 Diabetes. This definition of 'remission' seems to be 'golfing with one club'.
Oh, I agree. BP, lipids, kidneys are generally way more important than BG once you get down to 48-ish (or higher) mmol/mol HbA1c levels. People stressing about whether they score sub 48 or sub 42 or whatever, where the exact number makes sod all difference for health outcomes, are not doing themselves a service if it means they're ignoring the other markers.

On the other hand, reducing weight is generally a pretty effective tool (not perfect, obviously) for handling all of these issues, in particular, cutting through the metabolic syndrome nexus. That's certainly been my experience.

I will ask the question!

You can understand them not wanting to get involved in Taylor's simplistic fat shaming version of Type 2 especially as his experiment wasn't all that successful. And as Eddie Edspn keeps reminding us the benefits of the Newcastle diet's short sharp shock wash out over time as the reality of the condition, chiefly Insulin Resistance, re-assert themselves.

You can understand them not wanting to get involved in Taylor's simplistic fat shaming version of Type 2 especially as his experiment wasn't all that successful. And as Eddie Edspn keeps reminding us the benefits of the Newcastle diet's short sharp shock wash out over time as the reality of the condition, chiefly Insulin Resistance, re-assert themselves.
No, in the studies remission "washes out over time" if you stack the fat back on again, not otherwise (over the 2 year follow-up). Maintaining the weight loss is the hard thing.

No, in the studies remission "washes out over time" if you stack the fat back on again, not otherwise (over the 2 year follow-up). Maintaining the weight loss is the hard thing.
Yes, the short sharp shock hasn't done anything tp address the underlying problem. Its Insulin Resistance that's causing the weight gain.

Its Insulin Resistance that's causing the weight gain.
No. The model I know of which says something like that is sometimes called the "carbohydrate insulin" model and a series of experiments by Kevin Hall & others have pretty much put a fork in it, I would say. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/about-niddk/staff-directory/biography/hall-kevin/publications

What's causing the weight gain amongst some of the trial participants (certainly not all) is starting to eat too much again.

No. The model I know of which says something like that is sometimes called the "carbohydrate insulin" model and a series of experiments by Kevin Hall & others have pretty much put a fork in it, I would say. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/about-niddk/staff-directory/biography/hall-kevin/publications

What's causing the weight gain amongst some of the trial participants (certainly not all) is starting to eat too much again.
Exactly...

From what I can see the absolute 'key' to this is the individual person's drive & determination...long term...

I was really concerned when I started food re-introduction that I'd put all the weight back on and then some - It's no good thinking 'I've lost 15Kg and I'm in Remission' only to take your eye off the ball and go back to where you started...

The weight loss is a mechanism rather than a strategy - and you have to understand what's happenning during this process to be able to move on - the strategy is then living a healthy lifestyle once the weight is off...

For certain, I won't be able to eat what I did before, but why would I want to?! - It was altogether far too much for me to handle long term hence diagnosis of T2D in the first place...

Interesting discussion. I'll chuck in my usual comment that dumping everything into one box and calling it T2 diabetes tends to confuse the issue. I keep coming back to the idea that there should be, to start with, two sub groups. IRT2 -T2 due to insulin resistance and IIT2 - T2 due to insulin insufficiency.

The idea that losing weight and then eating any old diet that maintains that weight loss works well for those with IRT2 caused by excess fat around the body. Keep the weight down, a good idea for all sorts of reasons, and the diabetes is no longer a problem no matter what you eat and that is something that can be called remission.

When it comes to IIT2 things are a bit different. In that case, there is a limit to the amount of glucose the system can deal with and any old diet is not going to work. If you do not limit carb intake when your body weight is OK then your blood glucose will rise whilst your weight stays the same. To me that is not remission, it is best described as control.

Personally I consider myself in the second category. BMI fine, HbA1c well below diagnosis level but I reckon a slice of flapjack would give me a double figure spike and readjusting my diet to double the carb intake without a calorie boost would soon put me over the diagnosis level without any weight increase. It's a guess, and would need a trial to confirm, but it is one experiment I am not going to do.

One of the things I find most frustrating is that once T1 is ruled out, no effort is made to identify the underlying reason for high blood glucose for any individual. Casting the runes seems to be the order of the day and how you get on has more to do with the luck of the rune caster than objective science. You also get analysis heavily influenced by opinion and prejudice, and that may have something to do with the origins of this discussion.

I was reading this Diabetes UK position statement on how the consensus was put together a couple of days ago.

There’s a more person-with-diabetes-friendly version which explains things here too 🙂
I'm confused - the top says three months but the link says six?

Interesting discussion. I'll chuck in my usual comment that dumping everything into one box and calling it T2 diabetes tends to confuse the issue. I keep coming back to the idea that there should be, to start with, two sub groups. IRT2 -T2 due to insulin resistance and IIT2 - T2 due to insulin insufficiency.

The idea that losing weight and then eating any old diet that maintains that weight loss works well for those with IRT2 caused by excess fat around the body. Keep the weight down, a good idea for all sorts of reasons, and the diabetes is no longer a problem no matter what you eat and that is something that can be called remission.

When it comes to IIT2 things are a bit different. In that case, there is a limit to the amount of glucose the system can deal with and any old diet is not going to work. If you do not limit carb intake when your body weight is OK then your blood glucose will rise whilst your weight stays the same. To me that is not remission, it is best described as control.

Personally I consider myself in the second category. BMI fine, HbA1c well below diagnosis level but I reckon a slice of flapjack would give me a double figure spike and readjusting my diet to double the carb intake without a calorie boost would soon put me over the diagnosis level without any weight increase. It's a guess, and would need a trial to confirm, but it is one experiment I am not going to do.

One of the things I find most frustrating is that once T1 is ruled out, no effort is made to identify the underlying reason for high blood glucose for any individual. Casting the runes seems to be the order of the day and how you get on has more to do with the luck of the rune caster than objective science. You also get analysis heavily influenced by opinion and prejudice, and that may have something to do with the origins of this discussion.
Perhaps you are being unnecessarily frugal in allowing only 2 types of T2. When I was dxed in 1992 it was commonplace to hear that Type 2 Diabetes was a label covering half a dozen different conditions with a common symptom. In the late 1990s we heard a lot about about Amylin, that excess amylin was the major problem for some T2s. It was seriously proposed by some authorities that up to 10-15% of T2s should be redxed as 'Amylinotics' but that would mean testing newbies for amylin levels which is never going to happen. And of course investigations have shown that between 20 and 30% of T2s have malformed insulin without the tethers needed to tether themselves to the insulin receptor port on the cell wall. That's the cause of their Insulin Resistance. Again are they going to test the insulin of every new T2 ? No way, even though that research suggests that up to 30% of T2s just need insulin injections from the get go to replace their wonky stuff.

Some researchers have identified many Types of Diabetes, but it has not received as much publicity as the Newcastle findings.

Some researchers have identified many Types of Diabetes, but it has not received as much publicity as the Newcastle findings.
Diabetes UK has invested too much time, money and emotional capital in Direct trial. And that inappropriate term 'remission', is seductive and beguiling newbies into believing they can return to 'normal' with a quick shake of Sooty's Magic Wand.

Perhaps you are being unnecessarily frugal in allowing only 2 types of T2.
Quite agree @Burylancs but you have got to start somewhere. My underlying point is that the more precise the information, the better the decisions made on the basis of it. All too often more effort is spent arguing about the meaning of limited information than would be spent getting better data.

Good spot Adrian - I hadn’t noticed that!

The position statement says ‘at least 3 months’, which could suggest maintaining it through 2x HbA1cs, usually 3months apart?

Makes a difference to me - I had an HbA1c three months after coming off metformin. So by one definition I'm in remission by the other I will have to wait for my next test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back