interesting video on blood sugar control

Brambleberry

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
very interesting article. I just hope that as a result it is not abused. It would be so easy to do that! I did notice when I was away overseas when we had a celebration meal out and I had a pudding after which is not the norm my BG was perfectly normal so there must be some truth in it. But I thought about how easy that could be to be abused and certainly would not be good for my weight! But still we can apply it to every day meals we have too.

Not actually watched it all at 47 minutes long, but is she saying the humongous inch thick slice of absolutely gorgeous marmalade cake we just had with a coffee at friends is ok now?
Excellent if that is the message now. :)

No not quite. I think she was saying somewhere along the line that we cannot make a habit of eating a lot of sugar and fats but when you do there are ways to avoid getting peaks and troughs in blood sugar. She advises watching sugar intake and carb intake having fibre and avoiding too much saturated fat. But when you there is a way to do it to avoid higher sugar levels She also advocates a small amount of vinegar before a meal will reduce your sugar levels significantly....how that works for a diabetic is another thing! She says everyone is different and the study showed how peoples uptake of glucose varies dramatically from person to person , partly genetics, and sometimes hormones, or time of day, health, age so many things....I might by her book and study it a bit more. I am teaching nutrition at first year nursing degree level this year - so excited because we dont just look at nutrition and hydration we look at political directives, government guidelines and evidence based....so I have not made my mind up about this.... yet...but definitely her study findings are intriguing me.

No not quite. I think she was saying somewhere along the line that we cannot make a habit of eating a lot of sugar and fats but when you do there are ways to avoid getting peaks and troughs in blood sugar. She advises watching sugar intake and carb intake having fibre and avoiding too much saturated fat. But when you there is a way to do it to avoid higher sugar levels She also advocates a small amount of vinegar before a meal will reduce your sugar levels significantly....how that works for a diabetic is another thing! She says everyone is different and the study showed how peoples uptake of glucose varies dramatically from person to person , partly genetics, and sometimes hormones, or time of day, health, age so many things....I might by her book and study it a bit more. I am teaching nutrition at first year nursing degree level this year - so excited because we dont just look at nutrition and hydration we look at political directives, government guidelines and evidence based....so I have not made my mind up about this.... yet...but definitely her study findings are intriguing me.

Not keen of the dental aspects of taking neat vinegar though.
But I can't argue on the benefits of fibre, and the avoidance of saturated fats there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I might by her book and study it a bit more.
I wouldn't believe everything she claims. Not everyone is entirely convinced by all of her suggestions (though some are conventional ones).

which includes a link to

Well she went out of her way to say the vinegar must be: suitable for eating, ie not the extra strong type sold for cleaning; as a drink should be drunk through a straw to avoid the dental problem and is best well diluted if taken as a standalone drink. But can also just be incorporated into your meal, using all the many types of edible vinegars.

You should bother to listen to all 47 minutes before 'sniping'. There were some interesting general points.

I wouldn't believe everything she claims. Not everyone is entirely convinced by all of her suggestions (though some are conventional ones).

which includes a link to

I do find buzz words very off putting in any claim to any scientific background or research.
Maybe it's an unfair prejudice, but a "goddess" selling me a book describing her "hacks" doesn't work very well.

But I can't argue on the benefits of fibre, and the avoidance of saturated fats there.
She isn't talking about neat vinegar, just a tablespoon in a glass of water or a sprinkle on a salad in a restaurant.

I have been experimenting with a vinegar (ACV and balsamic) in water with a fibre supplement on a morning and it does seem to have a beneficial effect for me. When I get out of the routine of having it, I am more likely to have cravings and want to pick at food between meals and my relationship with food starts to slide. I also find that pickled vegetables like beetroots which is naturally quite sweet have almost no impact on my BG levels, so I don't need to inject insulin for them even if I eat quite a large portion.

Well she went out of her way to say the vinegar must be: suitable for eating, ie not the extra strong type sold for cleaning; as a drink should be drunk through a straw to avoid the dental problem and is best well diluted if taken as a standalone drink. But can also just be incorporated into your meal, using all the many types of edible vinegars.

You should bother to listen to all 47 minutes before 'sniping'. There were some interesting general points.

I didn't respond to her video.
I responded to your summary of it.
"She also advocates a small amount of vinegar before a meal will reduce your sugar levels significantly"
Possibly if you do buy her book to use to teach nutrition at first year nursing degree level, maybe include all the advice she gives?

And if you check cleaning vinegar, it's not substantially more concentrated than domestic vinegar.
But as you now say, at least she seems to say it will damage dental enamel in either form.

She isn't talking about neat vinegar, just a tablespoon in a glass of water or a sprinkle on a salad in a restaurant.

I have been experimenting with a vinegar (ACV and balsamic) in water with a fibre supplement on a morning and it does seem to have a beneficial effect for me. When I get out of the routine of having it, I am more likely to have cravings and want to pick at food between meals and my relationship with food starts to slide. I also find that pickled vegetables like beetroots which is naturally quite sweet have almost no impact on my BG levels, so I don't need to inject insulin for them even if I eat quite a large portion.
I use balsamic vinegar on salads.
I was surprised to see the calories in it until I read the ingredients

Wine Vinegar, Concentrated Grape Must, Cooked Grape Must, Colour: Sulphite Ammonia Caramel, Antioxidant: Sulphur Dioxide.

Mostly from the carbs and sugars in the grape must.

which includes a link to

I think the research is interesting but for sure I think anything can be abused.

Wine Vinegar, Concentrated Grape Must, Cooked Grape Must, Colour: Sulphite Ammonia Caramel, Antioxidant: Sulphur Dioxide.

Interesting I love balsamic vinegar and i wonder if they are all like that they vary so much in price

I didn't respond to her video.
I responded to your summary of it.
"She also advocates a small amount of vinegar before a meal will reduce your sugar levels significantly"
Possibly if you do buy her book to use to teach nutrition at first year nursing degree level, maybe include all the advice she gives?

And if you check cleaning vinegar, it's not substantially more concentrated than domestic vinegar.
But as you now say, at least she seems to say it will damage dental enamel in either form.
Ah, I would not use her in my curriculum, I merely encourage the students to read widely. They also have to read clinical papers and understand what makes a good study ( studies can be skewed to suit the writer!).

Interesting I love balsamic vinegar and i wonder if they are all like that they vary so much in price
These puzzled me.
They seem identical apart from the label colour, and a slight different in carbs.
Maybe one has more must?

I would guess the second one is marketed as presumed to be a two leaf, but not stated.
It's got more sugar, and less carbs though.

So she may have a point if keeping in a healthy eating regime of course it could help keep of cravings and hunger. One of my problems has been finding at supper time I am starving even though I might have just had piles of veg some protein and a little unrefined carb of some sort. No idea why at bed time but keeps me awake at night so followed advice on this site and usually have something like olives, celery peanut butter or hummus at bed time maybe some ryvita and cream cheese ( I have introduced dairy to my diet since diagnosed - I had avoided it previously due to its affect on my allergies but it is more helpful than dairy alternatives it seems).

I have read her book, interesting concept. I have tried to do as she recommends but my carbs get cold..I have however ate steak and eggs and then had some pasta and my sugars hardly moved.

So she may have a point if keeping in a healthy eating regime of course it could help keep of cravings and hunger. One of my problems has been finding at supper time I am starving even though I might have just had piles of veg some protein and a little unrefined carb of some sort. No idea why at bed time but keeps me awake at night so followed advice on this site and usually have something like olives, celery peanut butter or hummus at bed time maybe some ryvita and cream cheese ( I have introduced dairy to my diet since diagnosed - I had avoided it previously due to its affect on my allergies but it is more helpful than dairy alternatives it seems).

I used to have a couple of Ryvita and a cheese slice, and a ham slice for breakfast, which worked out at a couple of hundred calories.
Dinner tonight was a salad, and a slice of ham.
It all seems to work ok for me, the only exception is a cup of soup about ten, as I'm sick of coffee or cold drinks by then.
Another 100 calories though.

These puzzled me.
They seem identical apart from the label colour, and a slight different in carbs.
Maybe one has more must?

I would guess the second one is marketed as presumed to be a two leaf, but not stated.
It's got more sugar, and less carbs though.
I wonder about the expensive balsamics. We have an Italian Deli in Edinburgh sells them and they are a lot lot more expensive. I might check them out next time I go into the city.When I do I will report back!

I think as long as you don't buy the Balsamic glaze which has added sugar, then there isn't enough difference between the carb values of the different grades of balsamic vinegar to worry about it. I am certainly not going to lose any sleep over a 1g at most difference in my 15ml portion. The acetic acid benefit probably more than makes up for that anyway.

I think as long as you don't buy the Balsamic glaze which has added sugar, then there isn't enough difference between the carb values of the different grades of balsamic vinegar to worry about it. I am certainly not going to lose any sleep over a 1g at most difference in my 15ml portion. The acetic acid benefit probably more than makes up for that anyway.

Technically sugar can't be added, but that is circumvented by adding caramel.
True balsamic is made entirely from grape must, or grape must blended with wine vinegar.

Back