Interesting stats these computers do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tezzz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Isn't technology wonderful sometimes...🙂

I have been monitoring my blood glucose since the discovery of my diabetes.

I got some computer software from Roche that downloads my BG readings and does nice statistics for the doctor to look at. I use it to show trends and I can add comments to any unusual readings.

I just had a look at the latest graphs and trends it produces and it says the average for the last 30 days is 5.69!

WOW. Whooppee!!

Far better than my last HbA1c result. My numbers are going down...:D:D

Sounds wonderfull. I'll have to get all the bits to down load from my monitors too.

I use a One Touch Ultra 2, which allows me to view all that sort of information on the meter itself. I can also connect it to the computer and see the results a 'big screen'.

The meter also allows me to enter meals, exercise and medications as well. I can really recommend it if you are a stats freak like me. (I have computer based bg records going back 10 years now)

Last edited:
Hi tez, sounds like you're doing really well, but remember that a lot depends on when you do your tests. If your tests include post-meal levels as well as fasting ones, then the average produced will give you a fair indication of your likely HbA1c. But if you're just taking fasting levels - then it's still very good, but may be artificially low due to not accounting for higher levels after food.

I'm sure you know what I mean! It will be interseting at your next HbA1c to compare. My last one was actually lower than my meter average for previous 3 months (meter=5.7, HbA1c=5.3). I find out my HbA1c tomorrow - my meter average for the past three months is 5.67, so pretty close to yours!

Just got my HbA1c results this morning - 5.5. Checked my 90 day average on my meter and it is 5.7 so pretty close really given mix of pre and post meal testing. Means I can reduce the gliclazide further - not yet cutting out totally as still waiting to be reviewed at eye hospital - GP been notified I have swollen macular

i must try doing that myself i have all the equipment sounds like it works x

Well done on your average BG Tez. Thats very impressive.

I'm also a technology/gadget freak and use my computer regularly to keep check of my diabetes.

I've used the One Touch Ultra 2 in the past as mentioned earlier it can record BG, food (carbs), insulin and exercise and is a great meter if you've done DAFNE or carb count. Their software is pretty good too and I'm sure they are all pretty similar. But I've now swapped to the OneTouch Ultra Easy as it's smaller and more portable, but I can still hook it up to the same software.

I've also made my own Excel spreadsheet for doing my BG's which can generate graphs as well 🙂

NiVZ

Isn't technology wonderful sometimes...🙂

I have been monitoring my blood glucose since the discovery of my diabetes.

I got some computer software from Roche that downloads my BG readings and does nice statistics for the doctor to look at. I use it to show trends and I can add comments to any unusual readings.

I just had a look at the latest graphs and trends it produces and it says the average for the last 30 days is 5.69!

WOW. Whooppee!!

Far better than my last HbA1c result. My numbers are going down...:D:D

great average tez :D glad to see things are going well for you mate

Just got my HbA1c results this morning - 5.5. Checked my 90 day average on my meter and it is 5.7 so pretty close really given mix of pre and post meal testing. Means I can reduce the gliclazide further - not yet cutting out totally as still waiting to be reviewed at eye hospital - GP been notified I have swollen macular

Wow Vanessa! That's excellent! Well done!!! Hope all goes well at the eye hospital.

wow brilliant news!

I think when I get my new monitor next week I might try putting it onto my comp 🙂

really well done vanessa

good luck with eyes x

Thanks everybody.

It seems quite a lot of us are using the technology available to us to help our control improve.

Northerner, I usually do the waking BG test, before my main meal and then 2 hours after it.

Well done Vanessa on your 5.5! I hope my next HbA1c mirrors what my meter software claims. I hope you get your eyes sorted out OK.

I just got back from the doctors re dry mouth in another thread. 🙂

I showed her the stats. She is very pleased and wants me to have another HbA1c. She thinks I can reduce the Metformin after the result to 850mg a day as she saw some low numbers. (Below 4.0)

I usually take 2 500mg normal release. Then in 3 months she thinks I can go down to 500mg a day if the projected trend of my HbA1c is correct.

And I got some more strips! I can do 3 a day now instead of the 2 a day originally agreed. (I bought a box on eBay to up my testing to 3 a day.)

I have weakend so I'm going to celebrate with one Jaffa cake. They are nearly out of date and the temptation is too strong! The other half will have to finnish off the packet!:D

With that kind of testing, then it sounds like your meter average will be pretty close I'd expect. Terrific news that you can reduce your medication - must feel like a real boost and reward for your efforts! I have a similar relationship with some of my meds - for blood pressure and cholesterol. I've managed to keep to the lowest BP medication amount and my cholesterol would probably look OK without the statin. I was on 11 different drugs at diagnosis and now I'm on 3. Funnily enough, whenever I'm asked I don't include my insulin as medication - I have a completely different relationship with that because however hard I tried I couldn't 'wean myself off it', like Halle Berry did!🙂

That's great news Tez and Vanessa. I think my stats (7.5) were near my HbA1c last week - 7.3. I can display my results to include just pre and post meals, or all the tests I do, plus several different formats. Also add notes. Unfortunately, the software was only produced for my PC, not my Mac😡

Thanks for all the "well dones" - coming to the conclusion that only other diabetics can really appreciate what those dratted blood test results mean to us!

Tez - I really admire your will power - only 1 jaffa cake so hope you really enjoy and savour it. I'm off to a formal dinner tomorrow evening so will save up for my celebratory treat until then - mind you I've asked for a low carbohydrate meal and the outfit is a little tight round the waist so I can't overeat toooooooooo much:(

I've also made my own Excel spreadsheet for doing my BG's which can generate graphs as well 🙂

NiVZ
Ditto. 😎 Although its not got graphing functionality on it. Yet! :D

Thanks for the idea. 🙂

I've been thinking of writing my own software as there are some deficiencies with some of the software I've tried. I'm also thinking of allowing it to support as many meters as possible. Just need to try to get the manufacturers to give me access to the drivers (although that wil probably be difficult). I shall make the software open source as well.

Out of interest, is there anyone on here who has any ideas or suggestions as to what they would like their software to do? (Acheivable please, I can't make it give you perfect bg levels 🙂 )

I've also been thinking of ways we could improve the meters as well. I'd like something with bluetooth and a standard interface that could talk to other devices such as mobile phones and pumps. Anyone else got any bright ideas?

I've been thinking of writing my own software as there are some deficiencies with some of the software I've tried. I'm also thinking of allowing it to support as many meters as possible. Just need to try to get the manufacturers to give me access to the drivers (although that wil probably be difficult). I shall make the software open source as well.

Out of interest, is there anyone on here who has any ideas or suggestions as to what they would like their software to do? (Acheivable please, I can't make it give you perfect bg levels 🙂 )

I've also been thinking of ways we could improve the meters as well. I'd like something with bluetooth and a standard interface that could talk to other devices such as mobile phones and pumps. Anyone else got any bright ideas?

I would like to input my insulin dose units (basal and bolus) into my meter, so it downloads with all the other info.

I would like to input my insulin dose units (basal and bolus) into my meter, so it downloads with all the other info.
You can do that with the One Touch Ultra 2, along with food intake and exercise.

alan, do you mean into the actual meter, or the software programme? I can inout all this into the software programme I use at the moment, but I'd like to actually input insulin doses into the meter, for when I'm not near the computer/away/out and about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back