Insulins Or Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep you have to pre-programme the pump with the insulin:carb ratio you have (this can vary through the day for some people, and the pump lets you set different times of day for each ratio).

I'm from Birmingham originally Amanda. I'd be happy to show you the pump I use next time I'm up. Which hospital are you with?

@ pamper sue thanks for the youtube link.... ive gone from bein completely confused and scared to actually likin the idea of the pump.. didnt realised how small the canula was, n it definately beats injectioning 3/4 times a day, n about 16,000 imjections ive given myself already bein a diabetic

how long does the process take to get a pump??? does it depent pct????

It does depend on your PCT, I think it can vary from pretty instant to waiting a couple of months (from the moment the consultant writes to get funding). That's only the anecdotes I've heard though.

@ shiv im under walsall manor hosp, but not seen the diabetes team from there in yrs as i ve just been seen under my g.p the the attached dsn. As ive stated previously in this forum i havent really taken much interest in my diabetes luckily i haven encountered any probs, havent since i was a teenager, in n out of hospital with ketonacidois. Im lucky my HbA1c levels have remained stable tbh with the way i control my diabetes. 😱

@ shiv im under walsall manor hosp, but not seen the diabetes team from there in yrs as i ve just been seen under my g.p the the attached dsn. As ive stated previously in this forum i havent really taken much interest in my diabetes luckily i haven encountered any probs, havent since i was a teenager, in n out of hospital with ketonacidois. Im lucky my HbA1c levels have remained stable tbh with the way i control my diabetes. 😱

Hi Mandamoo1983,
My son is 12 and has been on the pump for about eighteen months now - and he loves it. He has the Medtronic veo and wears a sensor which tells his pump every few minutes what his blood glucose is so it can be easier to avoid hypo's or hyper's. Injections didnt work for him as he couldnt get good control and the pump is so much better. But you do need to be able to carb count and make changes when you need them. You can always trial a pump and if you dont like it you can go back to injections.🙂Bev

Doubt ill get a pump as just read a report on spendin for walsall tpct that they have already overspent on insulin pumps by 26k oh dear

Thanks bev I understand the carb count.... Goin to request a pump wen c my gp thursday xx glad ur 12 yr as good controll mine was xx terrible.at tnat age

Doubt ill get a pump as just read a report on spendin for walsall tpct that they have already overspent on insulin pumps by 26k oh dear

Hi Mandamoo1983,
As far as I know there is not a 'pot of money' for pumps - if your Consultant says you need one then they cant use lack of funds as a reason not to give you one.🙂Bev

Have a read of this Amanda http://www.input.me.uk/
If a consultant says you need a pump you have a pump. You are there anyway as the DSN has said you would benefit.
I don't see a consultant for my diabetes, my GP fought for funding for me. Last I heard I was the only one in the country with funding like this.
INPUT were ace with their help in getting that funding as was my GP. 🙂

Amanda, as long as your consultant says you need a pump, the PCT by law must provide funding for one. They cannot 'run out' of funding. By the sounds of it, your team are keen for you to try a pump, and so you shouldn't have any problems getting funding.

Hiya

I was the same as you, didn't meet the NICE guidelines because my HbA1c was good but I was having hypos every day. Then when I said I wanted to start thinking about having a baby I was told the pump was the most suitable option.

I've been on it for one month now and it is soooo much better than MDI. I never ever have to inject, which makes it much easier at work when I need to eat. Its really easy to wear, its like when you first wear a bra and it takes you a few days to get used to it. Mine just lives in my pocket or clips onto the connecty bit between my two bra cups if I'm wearing a dress (you can't tell its there).

I can't praise it enough, its stopped the lows and my control is so much better. I too don't have time to eat sometimes but the pump keeps my blood sugar levels stable so its ok.

Basically it offers you so much more freedom, and it is a much better type of treatment for those trying for a baby.

I would suggest trying it and then you can always give it back if you don't like it 🙂

I think if a pump reduces the numbers of lows that's also part of NICE guidelines from what I read recently.

where did you find the information? (I have just discovered that my GP surgery is worse that both local and national results for diabetes!)

^they can't 'overspend' as they are not allowed to set a budget for insulin pump therapy. They are obliged by law to provide funding if a consultant requests it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back