Insulin Vial Protectors

Amity Island

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Not something I've heard of but apparently over in the US, insulin prices can cost a monthly wage and hence you can buy vial protectors.

An article here about a new bill in US allowing similar insulins to be changed on prescriptions and shows just how expensive insulin is over there compared to our NHS.

MrDaibetes

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have heard of these, mostly vial safe in the UK. I guess it is great if you are clumsy or have a bag where it could get smashed.

helli

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I confess I have not tried dropping one from a roof top but I have, accidentally, dropped a half full vial from a table top to a hard floor and, being plastic, the vial remained entirely intact without a mark on it.

I don't want to be complacent because the NHS would just replace anything I break (they don't need me to waste their money) but it seems to me that you would need to be incredibly clumsy to need a vial protector.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
dropped a half full vial from a table top to a hard floor and, being plastic, the vial remained entirely intact without a mark on it.

Which vial was that? Novorapid vials are glass, as far as I can tell, and when I dropped a Lantus one years ago - also glass - it smashed!

I wasn't aware any insulin was supplied in plastic vials - I was under the impression that NR penfills were glass too?

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I'm as sure as you are Mike about NR vials and penfill cartridges of NR, Lantus and Levemir being glass up to 10 years ago but never had any other modern insulin in a vial or any sort of penfill cartridge since then either - I am only allowed one Levemir and one Novorapid Flexpen at a time by my GP surgery. They have consistently refused to supply penfill cartridges since I had my first pump.