Insulin Sensitivity Calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember ”weetabix with butter on” but you are the first other person I have ever known to have them. Everyone else just thinks it’s another example of how weird I am.
It had to have Marmite on as well or a Shredded Wheat cut in half with butter and jam.

It had to have Marmite on as well or a Shredded Wheat cut in half with butter and jam.
Not Marmite as mom didn't buy that but we always had butter and jam, so I certainly enjoyed that, &/or marmalade if no jam I fancied.

Bit off topic, but I had to respond to this!
I remember ”weetabix with butter on” but you are the first other person I have ever known to have them. Everyone else just thinks it’s another example of how weird I am.
I'll make it 3 in that case, Weetabix with butter and vegemite, wonderful.

I also always used to have Weetabix with milk and granulated sugar on top for breakfast and bedtime snack, much to the chagrin of any dieticians in sight 🙂, though I have in recent years reluctantly changed to porridge for breakfast as a diet-driven method of stopping the GP from moaning at me about cholesterol (alongside those knock-off Benecols from ASDA/Sainsbury's)

I'm now feeling quite hungry, not sure whether the butter + Vegemite or granulated sugar will win out, assuming I can find a Weetabix that is!

My sister bought a jar of Marmite once cos some of her friends said their children liked it. Her son didn't but as they had a kids party at home for him when he was 5 and at nursery school so a collection of different children attending so amongst the help yourself selection of various buffet food she'd included a plate of bread and butter soldiers spread with Marmite. Not a single one went, so me and his Nanny Ellis (his dad's mother) each enjoyed a few each cos she liked it and having found previously elsewhere that I rather liked Twiglets, and already knew I liked bread and butter anyway so that was no surprise. Not a thing I've ever bought or ever had again either, AFAIK.

And I'll make it 4: Weetabix with butter and Bovril. We moved to the heart of Staffordshire in mid 50's and got much of our milk unpasteurised from the farmer opposite our house and fresh butter from the farmer next door.
Also slices of apple on bread, butter and sugar - probably influenced by having a flourishing orchard for a family of 2 adults and 3 youngsters, who'd left city life in busy Wolverhampton to spend 10+ years becoming integrated into the rural community.

@helli and @nonethewiser
Not just butter but we had marmalade as well, so effectively treating them like a thick slice of toast. Yummy!

I’m going to say it, people, but does the Weetabix not crumble into a pile of….er…crumbs the minute you bite into it?

I’m going to say it, people, but does the Weetabix not crumble into a pile of….er…crumbs the minute you bite into it?
No, the butter holds the biscuit together, with the bovril providing extra glue. And the fun was keeping this all together for as long as possible before having to gather the residual crumbs into one final mouthful.

I won't own up to ever sneakily licking the plate when no adult was watching.

As Roland says, the butter and marmalade in my case provided some gluing action, but yes it still created crumbs. I used to get an extra bit of butter on the end of my knife and then press that on all the crumbs that were left on the plate causing them all to embed into the butter and then when adults were not watching, put the knife in my mouth and clamp it between my lips and pull it out clean. A one time activity I should say.... no double dipping in the butter! 🙄

It needs to be slab-like cold butter and eaten before it all goes soft - same is true for butter on digestives, another thing my children don't (yet!) get 🙂

I must admit I'm less fond of large quantities of butter these days than I was when younger (though I still eat it, just less thick). I didn't find any Weetabix yesterday either :(

P.S. We really have gone off-topic 😉 Perhaps the collated wisdom of eating "unusual" buttered products should be hived off into its own thread in the Food and Recipes section? 🙂

It needs to be slab-like cold butter and eaten before it all goes soft - same is true for butter on digestives, another thing my children don't (yet!) get 🙂

I must admit I'm less fond of large quantities of butter these days than I was when younger (though I still eat it, just less thick). I didn't find any Weetabix yesterday either :(

P.S. We really have gone off-topic 😉 Perhaps the collated wisdom of eating "unusual" buttered products should be hived off into its own thread in the Food and Recipes section? 🙂
Agreed we're well off topic. But while we are here ....

I'm old enough (and I NEVER thought I'd be writing that!) to remember an early childhood before we owned a fridge. We had a pantry with a marble slab for keeping food cool, usually meats and I remember a covered area outside our N facing back door where we had a fiddly double bucket that fresh milk was stood inside along with (sometimes) butter. [Were my parents aware of the ideal storage system with dairy products away from meat?] I'm not sure if the double bucket was to get optimum shade or just a practical way of keeping the dog and 2 farm cats at appropriate distance; never ocurred to me as a 6+ yr old. But butter in those days was never 'slab-like cold', always softish and mouldable to spread thickly over the Weetabix, without crushing the biscuit into loads of crumbs. I do remember once we eventually had a fridge having to warm the butter on the edge of the Aga stove (an engineering task in its own right - warm enough to help but not hot enough to fully melt the butter; and had to be remembered or there would be Hell to pay!) just to be able to continue spreading butter on Weetabix. Not long after the fridge arrived we seemed to stop putting butter on Weetabix; was that a phase that simply passed or did it all became too much bother? Or was paying that Hell sufficient incentive to change the habit?

@helli and @nonethewiser
Not just butter but we had marmalade as well, so effectively treating them like a thick slice of toast. Yummy!

That's posh but sounds delicious, love marmite on anything.

Thick butter kinda holds it together, but yeah you get crumbs but as @rebrascora says dab of butter to mop it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back