Insulin resistance changing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firsttimemum123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone!

I’m looking for advice as to whether anyone has experienced anything similar. I’m currently 15 weeks pregnant with my first child and I’ve been type 1 diabetic since I was 2 years old. Up until yesterday my insulin resistance was very similar as it was pre-pregnancy with only slightly increased basal rates but yesterday I found that I was all of a sudden insulin sensitive to the point where I spent around 70% of my day low. I didn’t have any major changes to my day or diet or dosing habits but I just couldn’t get my blood sugars to stay above 3.5. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Should I be worried about anything with the baby?
It seems to be going more back to normal today but I’m monitoring it closely.

Hi @Firsttimemum123 and welcome to the forum. I can’t help personally, as I wasn’t diagnosed with Type 1 until long after I’d had my children, but I’m trying to think of members to tag who have been pregnant and Type 1. @Inka is one, as is @PhoebeC , maybe if they see this they can help.

Hi @Firsttimemum123 I’ve had three diabetic pregnancies. I found my blood sugar was a bit higher in the early weeks, but then hypos started from around 8 weeks. By 15 weeks they could be quite bad/sudden. I had to reduce my basal rates and also some ratios. Some days I’d go low and could eat a lot of carbs and still only be 5 or 6. It was really weird, like being cured almost.

So, what you’re experiencing sounds normal. Reduce your insulin if needed and watch closely for hypos. I sometimes used to wake up to a morning low, which wasn’t nice. Keep Glucojuice and Dextro everywhere.

For anyone, diabetic or not, if you have any concerns at all, do phone your midwife. They really put your mind at rest. If you have a Pregnancy DSN you might also want to phone them for advice about basal and meal ratios. Do you have a Dexcom or Libre?

Good luck with everything. It’s an exciting time - hard work with Type 1, but still wonderful :)

Hi everyone!

I’m looking for advice as to whether anyone has experienced anything similar. I’m currently 15 weeks pregnant with my first child and I’ve been type 1 diabetic since I was 2 years old. Up until yesterday my insulin resistance was very similar as it was pre-pregnancy with only slightly increased basal rates but yesterday I found that I was all of a sudden insulin sensitive to the point where I spent around 70% of my day low. I didn’t have any major changes to my day or diet or dosing habits but I just couldn’t get my blood sugars to stay above 3.5. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Should I be worried about anything with the baby?
It seems to be going more back to normal today but I’m monitoring it closely.
My daughter is now 12 and a total pain in my everything but also the best thing I have ever done.

I never got insulin resistance at any point. By the end of my pregnancy I was on 3.5 units background and we couldn’t get my fast acting stuff right but I was on less than 2 units a meal.

My sensitivity started at about 14 weeks, with the sickness, as soon as I got under 5 I was sick.

My suggestion is change your insulin as you need. And you need to try avoid the hypos, they aren’t good for baby. And they aren’t good for you which is bad for baby.
I have never needed help with hypos apart from when I was pregnant.

Are you pumping? On a CGM?
Do you have a nurse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back