Insulin question ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steff

Little Miss Chatterbox
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi guys I'm just curious to know if any of you have stopped taking your insulin for any long periods of time and if so what were the consequences.Reason im asking is my uncle has been really poorly lately he has had some complications with his eyes and it has really got him down, he is a type 1 and has been since 95 and has always been a fantastic diabetic if you get what i mean really looked after himself etc etc.But when i spoke to my dad last night he said to me he has noticed my uncle skipping his insulin, now i cant really help as im not on it so i was wondering if any of you guys could please enlighten me..

I've only been on insulin for a year but I wouldn't dream of not injecting as I know what will happen if I do.

Obviously if you fail to inject for a long period of time you BG's are going to go really high and this will lead to problems. So certainly not a good thing to do.

As a teenager on 2 injections a day (mixed) I was able to go a day or two no problem, but I think the longer you have D, the less tolerant you become to missing injections..........I have been lucky I suppose........my younger brother has experienced it all, comas from being low, comas from being high...

Mising insulin means one thing, rising blood sugars, which cause long term damage, and make you feel rough too.......

🙂 Hi Steffie well I was told if you dont have any carbs in your meal you dont have to have any insulin did your wuncle just miss 1 or more. I have never missed so I dont know what would happen. But I have a friend that did and within a few months he was in hospital in a realy bad way Iwont give you the details but it was bad😱

Hi Steff, the consequences of missing insulin injections are not very pleasant. Elevated blood glucose over prolonged period will lead to damage to the nerves and can lead to early diabetic complications, also missing the odd injection can raise bg levels to the extent that ketones are produced in the body which can lead to life-threatening ketoacidosis. I've never deliberately missed a insulin injection in 28 years of being diabetic, and as time has moved on I have realise the importance of regular injections and keeping bg as near normal as possible. Perhaps your uncle needs to discuss his diabetes management with his gp or hospital consultant to iron out any problems or concerns he may have at the moment, either way he really needs to know the importance of keeping tight control and that means injecting regular to avoid the dreaded complications and to live a long and full life.

Missing insulin is very dangerous Steff, it's what leads to DKA in people who don't produce their own, like all Type 1s. If you're missing some, but not all - say just taking your basal/long acting insulin - then you might be able to keep DKA at bay for a while but it will still have a bad effect on you - you only need to read what happens to a pumper if their pump gets blocked or stops working for a short while 😱

If insufficient insulin is available the body starts burning fat, and muscle tissue, to try and keep the brain 'fed' as it can only obtain energy from blood glucose. This can lead to rapid weight loss and muscle wastage, and at the same time the ketones will increase. Ketones also need insulin to help process them out of the body, so without it they increase and basically turn the blood to acid which can then affect all major organs. High levels will also affect the eyesight by distorting the lens of the eye.

Sorry if this sounds really scary, but it is and really needs looking at seriously if he is deliberately missing out on his insulin. I hope there is some other, less serious explanation and that he is feeling better soon!

No I really appreicate all your comments it is evident that if he does continue then it will only lead to one thing, danger .they dnt have the internet so i was thinking maybe printing this off to him and sending it to him with a letter..I dont like to think im telling my granny how to such eggs so to speak as im not a type 1 and ive not been diabetic 2 years so i dont want him to get offended with me :/

I think that would be a good idea Steffie. I think he would probably benefit from talking to a good DSN to see if she can help find the reasons he's skipping it.

I think that would be a good idea Steffie. I think he would probably benefit from talking to a good DSN to see if she can help find the reasons he's skipping it.

Thats what happens when you live away i dont even know his DSN or if she is good etc etc, he is a very closed person and often keeps things to himself, i think my dad accidently found out he was skipping his insulin.My other half is going to print it off for me i sh all wait for some more replies the now x

If insufficient insulin is available the body starts burning fat, and muscle tissue, to try and keep the brain 'fed' as it can only obtain energy from blood glucose. This can lead to rapid weight loss and muscle wastage, and at the same time the ketones will increase. Ketones also need insulin to help process them out of the body, so without it they increase and basically turn the blood to acid which can then affect all major organs. High levels will also affect the eyesight by distorting the lens of the eye.

My daughter suffered all of the above before her diagnosis and has cataracts now. My point is it does not take long to do damage - my Dad also lost his eyesight almost completely due to complications from his Type 2 - it had a terrible effect on his quality of life. If you can do anything to persuade your Uncle to take his insulin please do - its what keeps Katie alive x

Can only agree with what's been said Steff.

Even if you don't eat, your liver will secrete glucose to keep things going, which needs insulin.

As Northerner said, he may be takign basal but it's a dangerous game to play. It's possible that he may have another problem that's causing him to skip meals/injections. I hope it's just that he's feeling a bit under the weather.

Rob

I missed taking any insulin when I was on 2 injections a day, for maybe 1 1/2 or 2 days. Both times I ended up in hospital with DKA, for a week to get stabilised. I was a kid at the time - 11 the first time and 12 I think the second. (clearly I'm a slow learner... :D)

25 ish years later, I have retinopathy in both eyes and have had a vitrectomy in one eye to restore the sight. Fortunately, that's worked very well, I'm very lucky.

Thank you everyone I will hang back till Friday before this is printed off i've spoken to my dad tonight as i did tell him i was going to be putting a question on here about it and he said hopefully it will open his eyes and stop him being stubborn x

Hope your uncle gets back on track Steff, he's lucky to have you there sorting him oot!

I had a week off it once but not basal, mainly because it was hot and I was active.

Take care

Rossi

Many years ago when I was far less experienced, less informed and without a resource like this forum to refer to, I had a period when I had very little or no insulin over a period of about a week.

At the time I was on two injections a day, quick acting insulin in the morning and medium to long acting in the evening. Thinking back I wonder how this regime by itself ever gave me anything like good control and yet I was on it for a few years and I was quite confident about looking after my diabetes.

At one point I became ill and completely lost my appetite causing me to eat very little or nothing for a few days. The problem was that I had not be told, or at least it had not registered, that I still needed to take the longer acting insulin as a bolus dose. I thought both doses were just to deal with the food I was eating. I therefore cut both injections down to either the bare minimum or missed them altogether, depending on whether I had eaten a little or not.

The consequences? I slowly became more and more ill although this was before I was encouraged to take regular blood tests so it did not register immediately that my BG was rising so I put it down to the original illness. I had also recently changed location so I was unable to visit a local GP to ask why I was feeling so ill. Eventually I ended up in A&E with quite bad DKA and subsequently moved to the Intensive Care unit for, I think, three nights with another four nights on a ward. My recovery was quite swift but I realise now that I had essentially got very very lucky, first that I survived and second that I did not suffer any immediate complications nor, as far as I know, anything since that I can directly relate to this event. It did have the benefit of making me realise that I did not know enough about my diabetes and that I needed to pay more attention and respect to it. It would have been much better however had I learned this lesson without having to spend any time in Intensive Care.

People here have explained what happens if you miss injecting for a long time.

Well, my daughter only once forgot to do her Levemir (basal) before bedtime. She was seriously poorly the next morning and it took about a week to get back on track.

Just wanted to tell that, as it is slightly different from the others.

HUGE thanks to everyone.

Happy to tell you all my uncle has now started taking hsi insulin when he should he had a chat with his DSN today and feels alot happier... I am still getting this printed off tomorrow though x

Excellent news Steff. Good on ya for taking his health seriously.

Rob

I considered registering a 2nd username to reply to this as I feel embarrassed and ashamed to admit it but I know that wouldn't solve anything now. *

So... Confession time...*

As I've said in other threads, my control went worse after leaving the pump around 20 years ago even though I was behaving at the time. After a couple of years back on injections I started to lose interest for want of a better phrase, and started skipping the odd injection. Then another. And another. Suddenly I was getting by on a single slow acting injection per day (sometimes not even that) and a very occasional quick acting. A single cartridge of QA might last 2 months or more. In the last 15 + years I've developed retinopathy in both eyes and neuropathy in both legs/feet. I'm sure I don't have to tell anyone with these how rotten they are. Or how frightening! *I'm also having some early kidney signs.*

It's taken this lot to make me actually think about it. Even the first few years of being lasered didn't have the effect. It scared me, but didn't make me act. So now I'm on more pills than my grandad was on at nearly 3 times my age as well as the needles I should have been doing.*

You mention your uncle getting down about it all. Forgive me if I grabbed the wrong stick - nevermind which end - but I can go along with the idea as I was recently treated for depression and anxiety which to be honest I had bouts of varying lengths of since being a kid. They have got worse though and I think the guilt plays a big part. I've got myself into this spot so tough luck... I don't think all the booze, cigs and other erm... things... helped the situation.*

Great to hear he's getting his act together and looking after it now. I know I've not been so well controlled for ages as I am now even though there's loads of improvement still needed I've taken a step (quite a few steps) in the right direction. It's become an obsession of late but hoping obsession turns to natural way with time.*

All the best... ThunderBolt!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back