Insulin pens

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently been given the Novopen 4 and am actually quite happy with it. I do find the plastic mechanism inside a bit flimsy but prefer it to the Novopen 3 as I find the insulin delivery better and like the fact that you can just click to see how many units are left in the pen too. I don't use the cases anyway as I keep the pen with my blood test kit.

I use Levemir prefilled pens and I do not like these at all. They are very plastiky and the dial is quite hard to press to inject the insulin.

I do not personally use a new needle each time I inject, I replace the needle when it does not go in easily or each time I change the insulin phial, whichever comes first.

Used needles

I've been told the same: needles used more than once will damage the tissue more, making it impossible to take care of your injection sites.
And no, the person who told me this did not work for NovoFine 🙂
There are different needles but the thinner it gets, the easier it's damaged.

I'll share this with you, it does make a good point. Even though it is by BD 😉

http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=7001&id=7266

Obviously it's very easy for me to choose to use the needles once when we can get an unlimited amount of supplies for E, there's no limitations on supplies for diabetic children.

I use the novoflex pens for both novorapid and levemir which I like a lot, as you can hear the clicks going both ways, and know how much you've got left in each pen.

With regard to needles, I only use each one once, because I was told that it can cause problems with the injection site, and gets more painful as they get blunt, but also if you leave the needle in the pen then there is an open tube into the insulin for pathogens to get down, and if you take the needle off and then use it again, it hasn't been kept sterile inbetween uses. Also, leaving the needle on the pen increased the possibility of air getting into the pen.

I quite like my novopen, never had any mechanical problems with it to date and think it looks fine, I have the demi pen which is blue and orange. The case doesn't bother me as I put my pens, needles, test kit etc in a pencil case to carry around.
I only use needles once. I too was told never to leave a needle in the pen as it was an air supply into the cartridge. As I don't leave it on I always put a fresh one on as it no more hassle than it would be to put on old one back on. Now lancets, that's a whole other ball game!

I have a blue novapen 4 that i use for my levemir and i am happy with that, i also use the blue and orange demipen for my novorapid, which at first i did not like as i felt i was not getting the same amount of insulin out of it compared to the novopen and was scared to use it! However after a talk and a little test that the DSN did with me i was satisfied it was giving me the right amount of insulin and i was just being paranoid!

I dont use the cases i just carry them with my meter case and they stick out of the top, but it keeps it all together 🙂 as for needles i do use them only once per injection....but if i am out and have forgoten to put new ones in my kit then needs must!!

cases

Hi Copepod,

Maybe manufacturers should look more closely at case design too. You've been very inventive with a substitute. Sounds like you have a very adventurous lifestyle - great.

Hi Barb
Pens haven't changed too much in the 15 years since my diagnosis, apart from the change from 1.5ml to 3ml cartridges.
However, I've never found a pen case (supplied with a pen) that really suits me - I find eg Humapen Luxura cases too heavy and bulky, with no space for spare cartridges (I prefer to carry spares of each type of insulin) or more than 3 needles. For morning / bedtime long acting insulin pens, I still use a really old black fabric case into which a pen slots, with a long zipped side pocket, but can't remember which pen it came with. For out and about daily use, I use a cheap pencil case, which can hold pen, spare syringe, spare cartridges, a couple of plasters in case of a leaking injection site etc.
I don't change needles each time, because it doesn't hurt until at least 20 times, and I prefer not to waste resources, both NHS finances and environmental, plus it's quicker and easier to change when it's convenient and not so rushed at home every week or so. I realise it's not recommended practice, but it works for me, even in situations when washing / hygiene is difficult eg marshalling a 24 hour adventure race this weekend, several expeditions of weeks or months in tropical, temperate and sub Antarctic regions.

pens

Quite jealous of users of Humapen Luxura and Memoir pens - they look good.

Sadly, I'm not on the Eli Lilly regime (tried their insulins but am much happier with Novo Rapid and Levemir). The only downside at present is the pens but I live in hope.

Hello,

As a Diabetic of 15 years I've used a few different pens in my time.

So far my favourite pen of all time is still the Humapen Luxura (and HD - for half doses). Available in Gold and Burgunday (the HD is green). It's a metal pen, comes in a hard case with space for a spare vial and spare needle tips. The Humapen Memoir is also good as it's metal and tells you the date and time of your last dose, although this made the top end of the pen a bit bulky for my liking.

The worst pen is still the Autopen 24. I've had two of these break during insulin delivery and are so bad I refused to use them, instead preferring to stuff my lantus cartridges into the Humapen Luxura (which I got told off for a few times)

I've now been using the Clikstar pen for just over a week to administer my lantus and although it is plastic it is a million times better than the Autopen.

Think I've had a few Novonordisk pens (blue and yellow one?) too which were ok, but the colours (especially the multi-coloured soft puch) were a bit garish.

NiVZ

pens

Pleased you get on with your pen, there are good and bad features with all models.

One of my main gripes is the disposable nature of current pens - they used to be made to last and consequently were made of more resilient materials. I think I paid around ?20 for my original NovoPen and it was well worth the outlay. Rather than the flimsy freebies of today I'd be happy to pay for a reliable model. Today, I follow user instructions to the letter but still have problems, even with brand new pens.

Occasionally I will use a needle more than once. When you need to do injections in a public place you need some privacy but when you have to change needles and prime pens before using them you can draw a lot of unwanted attention! Oh for a reliable device you can bung into your calf under a restaurant table without anyone noticing!

OTE=aymes;154480]I quite like my novopen, never had any mechanical problems with it to date and think it looks fine, I have the demi pen which is blue and orange. The case doesn't bother me as I put my pens, needles, test kit etc in a pencil case to carry around.
I only use needles once. I too was told never to leave a needle in the pen as it was an air supply into the cartridge. As I don't leave it on I always put a fresh one on as it no more hassle than it would be to put on old one back on. Now lancets, that's a whole other ball game![/QUOTE]

i used to have a novopen 3 for ages, but a guy at work showed me his luxura pen and it was so much better! i now have all 3 of the different colours of the luxura pen! and a rubbish autopen 24 with all the low unit numbers rubbed off for lantus! (although i use a luxura when im working away from home)

hello,

The Clikstar pen has a 'normal' plunger instead of the useless button on the Autopen which then plunges the dose automatically.

It's that part of the mechanism that broke on me twice during Autopen injections. Instead of the plunger coming down when I pressed the button it sprang up the way and completely off the pen rendering it unusable and delivering no insulin.

NiVZ

I use the autopen 24 and it's rubbish really. Quite awkward to use at times and I've noticed the gold numbers on the dose dial rub off quite quickly. It's like a toy and it's only good point is that its lightweight. I use the humapen luxura for my shortacting insulin and like it much better than the old one I had. The case though is too heavy as somebody has already said. I now carry both pens in a frio case which is ok but there's nowhere to put extras like needles. I reuse needles until they become uncomfortable, it's just habit and laziness! I too come from the age of glass syringes and the old ways of using the needle till it's blunt - you just kind of get used to it!

hello,

The Clikstar pen has a 'normal' plunger instead of the useless button on the Autopen which then plunges the dose automatically.

It's that part of the mechanism that broke on me twice during Autopen injections. Instead of the plunger coming down when I pressed the button it sprang up the way and completely off the pen rendering it unusable and delivering no insulin.

NiVZ

I've had occasions where I've had to press the button several times before the thing spins round and delivers the dose, or sometimes it'll do part of the dose and I have to press it again. I'm on the hunt for a Clikstar at my next GP appt.! What units do they do? I had to change my 2-unit Autopen when my lantus requirements dropped from 20 to 7 and I needed 1-unit adjustments.

Hi Northener,

The Clikstar goes up in 1 unit clicks up to 57 units (although there is a number for 58 I can't get it to turn the last click)

NiVZ

Hi Northener,

The Clikstar goes up in 1 unit clicks up to 57 units (although there is a number for 58 I can't get it to turn the last click)

NiVZ

Wow! That's a big improvement on the autopen choice of 2-42 or 1-21! Think I'm due a new pen after 2 years! Wonder if I can flog the autopens on ebay? 😉 Actually, I'd probably just give them back to the DSN

Hi Northener,

NiVZ

Which colour one have you got? I've got the blue clikstar and it goes from 1-80.
You should be able to get them on prescription now as they are officially out.

I like my novopen demi, but do wish that a novopen4 would come out that does half units.

hello,

NiVZ

Hi NiVZ, that sounds loads better than my autopen. Hadn't realised how much I hate it till I got chatting on here! I'm definitely going to pester my DSN for a Clikstar on my next appt - thanks for the info.🙂

Hi Sofaraway,

I also went for a blue one and you're right it does go up to 80 units.

However, if theres less than 80 units left in the vial it will only let you dial up how much is left! Earlier it was 57 and now I can only dial 32 as thats what is left.

Now thats clever - liking this pen more and more 🙂

NiVZ

Yeah I like that too, very frustrating with the autopen24 when you dial the dose and inject and realise that there wasn't enough to give full dose and you have to change cartridge and jab again.

Hi Sofaraway,

I also went for a blue one and you're right it does go up to 80 units.

However, if theres less than 80 units left in the vial it will only let you dial up how much is left! Earlier it was 57 and now I can only dial 32 as thats what is left.

Now thats clever - liking this pen more and more 🙂

NiVZ

Now I REALLY want one! 🙂 Actually, I want two because I'll need a spare, or do you think that's asking too much and I should just keep the autopens as standbys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back