Insulin Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dotty2

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have been Type 1 diabetic for over 40 years and for many years I have had a regime of Humulin S before meals and Insultard nocturnally. Healthcare professionals now wish me to change to NovoRapid during the day and Toujeo nocturnally. Does anyone have experience of this change and any resulting difficulties?
Thank you for reading.

Hello @Dotty2

Welcome to the forum!

Those are quite old insulins! It’s been a while since I was on Insulatard, and while I wasn’t on Humulin S, I did use Actrapid which was a non-analogue rDNA predecessor of NovoRapid.

You should ask your clinic for detailed advice, as they will know the specifics of your situation, and the reasons behind the suggested change.

From my experience I think that you probably won’t find it a straight swap, but that after a bit of experimentation you may well find it a more flexible and precise option. It might be a bit unfamiliar and frustrating to begin with though.

I’m making some pretty big guesses here - you’ll have to let the forum know a bit more about your insulin use at the moment if I’m way off-base.

My suspicion would be that at the moment you are generally eating fairly fixed amounts of carbs per meal (I certainly had to on those insulins).

Humulin S has a fairly long ‘tail’ like Actrapid I think (6-8 hours?), so my guess is that your meal doses are overlapping during the day to also cover your daytime background needs. Insulatard has a fairly short profile if I remember right, about 12 hours I think? So it’s most likely not covering much more than your overnight basal. It also is quite ‘peaky’ compared to basal insulin analogues so you are probably a bit more at risk if overnight lows in your current system.

Toujeo is supposed to have a long flat profile that extends for more than 24 hours, so in theory it will be covering your daytime and nighttime basal (background) insulin needs. NovoRapid lasts approx 4-5 hours so can just cover your meals without hanging around and causing mischief as it fades away.

Have you ever been offered an education course like DAFNE or BERTIE? That might really help you get the most from your new insulins.

Out of interest - was there a particular reason why a change was suggested?

Hi. NovoRapid is one of the most popular Bolus insulins and has no specific problems; it's the one I use. I use Levemir as the Basal and I believe Toujeo is relatively knew and probably good and it would be good to hear the experience of those who use it.

Welcome to the forum @Dotty2

I have not used Tuejo, but use Novorapid as my Bolus for meals.
It covers meals well, and I find that I can be very flexible in what I eat as I learnt how to count the carbs, and use my ratios to sort out how much insulin I need for each meal. As @everydayupsanddowns says it would be good to ask your team about any education courses around you (DAFNE or BERTIE) to help you to make best use of the new insulins you are using. Not only did Inlearn a great deal on the course but I also found it helpful meeting others with T1.

Thanks everyone for replying. I am taking advice from my local diabetes centre. The switch is to attempt to achieve better overall control. I am attending an ICE (insulin carbohydrate exchange) course.

I was changed to Toujeo 2 or 3 years ago - can't quite remember when. I was on Lantus which I used to split for both morning and evening injections.

I was initially reluctant to change because I was told that Toujeo could not be split - just one injection before bed. I am now used to it and have had no problems that I can relate to its use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back