Insulin amounts ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Bobbingbuoy you ask what are typical insulin doses at the beginning. There is no such thing as “typical”. For example, an adult with Type 1 may start on very small doses as their beta cells slowly die off. At first, our pancreas may be producing a significant proportion of the needed insulin. Others may lose their beta cells quicker and need to inject higher doses sooner.
As @Inka mentioned, it is common to slowly increase our dose rather than risk sudden BG drops.
It is also common to start on fixed doses to keep things simple as we learn to give ourselves insulin.
That said, with Type 1 (apologies I do not know if this would be the same with 3c), very high BG can result in Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA). With your numbers it may be worth testing for ketones as high levels of ketones can be dangerous, I recommend asking about this when you talk to your DSN.
Thank you , yes I’ve been testing my ketones and they appear to be stable at 0.2 and 0.3 mostly

It will take longer than 3 weeks to get to the right dose. Bgs have to be lowered slowly, reducing too quickly can damage your eyesight.
Ahh that’s good to know , thank you, I thought 3 weeks was a long time ……but I’m impatient haha

Thanks, I’ve not been given any information yet in relation to carbs etc. I read up quite a bit online and have a rough idea but every so often I hit a stumbling block and a webpage will tell me to do the exact opposite that I’ve previously read ?

Make sure you’re reading about 3c or Type 1 (3c is often treated similarly to Type 1). It’s likely you’ll eat a pretty normal healthy diet. As an example, the diet recommended for Type 1s is the same healthy diet recommended for everyone else. That includes carbs like cereal, bread, pasta, rice, etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back