Insight handset battery issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just catching up and seen this thread - I'm frankly astonished that the latest model of Roche's pump should be so restrictive - how would one manage if camping or trekking and no access to electricity for this daily charging nonsense? Whoever thought this was an improvement on the previous iteration of the pump is a fool! Sounds like they wanted it to be more like a smartphone or something.....

Just catching up and seen this thread - I'm frankly astonished that the latest model of Roche's pump should be so restrictive - how would one manage if camping or trekking and no access to electricity for this daily charging nonsense? Whoever thought this was an improvement on the previous iteration of the pump is a fool! Sounds like they wanted it to be more like a smartphone or something.....

What I've seen of it the handset certainly looks more like a smartphone...
We are due for new pump next summer and unfortunately daughter has already decided that she wants to stay with Roche, mainly because being able to do everything on the handset and not have to get pump out from under her clothes at all is massively important to her, she still really struggles with self-consciousness issues. I'd have another Combo in an instant, but I very much doubt there will be any still available by then :(
That's a good point about camping, not that we go very often but if we do end up getting an Insight next I shall have to remember to ask the rep that question!

If you go camping in your car just plug it into the cig lighter. If not - or in any case cos they are so portable and obviously easier to use in a tent - get one of the up to date battery charging pack gizmos you can now get and use that instead. I asked about that cos we spend months at a time abroad in our Moho off EHU, since we have two ruddy gurt solar panels on the roof to recharge both the hab batteries and the residue into the vehicle battery. We also favour Moho aires rather than campsites so EHU is far rarer than on a campsite. In the UK we use a lot of CLs and CSs, ditto.

It is a lot different from the Combo, you do FAR more via the handset only, eg TBRs.

Tee hee @trophywench 🙂 you have slipped in to forum abbreviations from a completely different world.

I'm pretty sure EHU must be Electric Hook Up, but I'm afraid you;ve lost me with CLs and CSs 🙂

CL-certificated location. CS-certificated site. The first run (or rather administered,run by their owners) by caravan club,the second by camping and caravanning club. Both are smaller sites that have been certificated to be up to club standards but often dont have hook-ups (EHU) and other facilities (showers for example).

They are small campsites Mike and only licensed for up to 5 units at a time, Certified Locations (CL) is what the Caravan Club call them and Certified Sites (CS) is the Camping & C'van Club nomenclature for the same thing. EHU does stand for elec hook up and is common parlance all over the camping fraternity - whatever you happen to camp in!

An Aire - Aire de Stationnement de Camping Cars - Stellplatz in Germany, other names in other European countries is what it says - like a carpark but specifically for actually camping on (which is banned in 'normal' car parks - you can neither sleep nor cook on them but shush, we have been known to make a cuppa on a carpark notwithstanding that! Mind you - we've been known to do that when in cars when we're on the way to somewhere with tent and all the junk on board) but without fancy facilities - sometimes they are free or a very small charge, like €6 a night instead of eg €36 on a proper campsite. Idea is to bring passing trade to the local area, be that Disneyland Paris/the Puy du Fou or a town like Niort or Narbonne. Also at beauty spots - beaches and lakes, or ski resorts etc. where you just don't want to pay several arms and legs for a sanitary block, swimming pool and kids playground, onsite restaurant etc. that you have no intention of using or desire to look at! A lot have fresh water and wc cassette emptying/waste water disposal on site (as all CS and CLs have to in the UK) and some don't.

It is a totally different mindset again to tent or caravan camping! (or indeed having a Moho, but only ever staying on 'proper' campsites) In the UK, many pubs are now providing facilities for overnighting Moho visitors, very often free for one night if you eat in the pub.

TW! For the first time here I understood a whole post! Fellow moho'er here.

DH retires in a whole 21 days so come June we will be heading south for the tunnel and then 2 months wherever the wheels take us :D

I'll carry on charging mine when it's almost flat as this is working ok. I haven't had any electrical errors at all. If the nurse tells me differently when I ask her next week then I'll go with her advice. I guess we all have to do what works for us and our gadgets.

Lynn - what with my and my husband's current reliance on the NHS, we've spent less time sur le continong in the last year than we did when we were both fit and at work! Ruddy Tesco vouchers will be out of date soon LOL (for the Tesco tunnel, as it's called in our house)

Tesco tunnel :D

I'm waiting for February to get my vouchers as I am a pound short of 30 quids worth of vouchers and that will probably be the last time mr t pays for most of our tunnel fare!

I'm registered on motorhome fun but lurk mostly. I use ukcampsite from when we were campers.

Lurkings fine! Do you still have access to all the technical info as a lurker though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back