inserting canula's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Akasha,
I use the 13 mm Silhoutte. Since I've only used the inserter - afraid to try manually - my needle angle/depth should be fairly consistent at 30 deg. Maybe you can try lightening up the insertion angle to 20-40 deg (instruction spec).

It might be worth considering other sites. My sides and lower back work for me when I'm giving stomach a break. In search of more sites, I'm in the middle of 2nd run on bum.

I can relate to your jamming experience with the cgm. For me, stomach is a forbidden place, at least until I put-on some lbs. These days, I prefer sides and lower back. The readings are consistent with virtually no-pain after insertion - not so much the case with stomach. The back can be a bit tricky to set at times.

Finally....my pump trainer suggested inserting infusion sets while standing. It's been my sole method.

Best of luck,

Wow Brian, I am surprised you use 13mm if you are very slim! 😱 I insert whilst standing too.

Phil

AFAIK the 13mm is the shorter Silhouette, since it goes in at an angle the depth reached should be similar to a 6mm 90 degree one I think. Silhouettes also come in 17mm. I tried one of those (inserted manually) but it seemed to hit muscle 😱

Phil

AFAIK the 13mm is the shorter Silhouette, since it goes in at an angle the depth reached should be similar to a 6mm 90 degree one I think. Silhouettes also come in 17mm. I tried one of those (inserted manually) but it seemed to hit muscle 😱

ahhhh! thanks Mike, I've never used Sils....what you say makes sense now!

LOL Phil - you and I can't - they aren't compatible with the Combo!

Always always standing up!

I currently have inserted on onto my left side, and it feels really comfortable.

Nurse had a prod at my tummy yesterday and said that it may have just been a bad spot to try. She also said that they dont have to be inserted left to right / Right to left. I thought they did 😱

Yep, its the 13mm silhuettes. For those who havn't met me, I'm 4ft 11 and about 7 stone wringing wet 😛 I agree, the advise to insert standing up was one of the best bits of advise.

My cold is also dissappearing now, so fingers crossed it will all settle down shortly.

Inserting cannulas still stresses me out and I have been pumping nearly a year now!

I had a time when if I tried to insert it on my left side (using my right hand, I'm right-handed), it would go in at a funny angle and the sticker would get stuck to my quikserter! I just angled my hand differently and it stopped doing it.

Because I get so panicky and anxious sometimes, I tend to stick to my right side as I find it easier to insert on that side. It's fine to do this as long as you aren't sticking to the same site and are moving it around that side.

My advice is use an inserter, a second and it's over 🙂 I've rarely had cannula failures using mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back