Injections or Pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoebeC

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi I was just having a quick look at the threads and it seems that you all love pumps.

I must admit i nothing about them. Nobody has ever suggested i need one or even motioned them to me.
They only other person I know with type one is on injections too. she has had it for years and is on a rare pork insulin. she can only use this because its the only one her body can cope with, which is going off the subject, sorry.

I was just wondering what are the pros and cons?
And really are they better than injections?

Thanks

Nice to see you back Phoebe

There are certain criteria you need to meet to be eliagble for a pump on the NHS, set out by NICE, the main thing is an A1c of above 8.5% despite the person having a good understanding, carb counting etc, basically doing all the right things but injected basal bolus insulin doesn't meet their needs. the other part is about hypos, if you have severe, unpredictable, or reduced quality of life due to hypos then you qualify.

http://www.input.me.uk/ gives good info about what an insulin pump is.

I think that pumps are hard work but they give the best control as you can make such small immediate adjustments. I don't pump but think the number of people who go back to injections is very few.

There are 3 members who have recently started pumps so check those threads to see their expereinces.

If you are interested then speak to your DSN who will be able to give you an idea if a pump would be sutiable.

Hi Phoebe, I'm from Warrington too.

I am currently on injections (was diagnosed 13 years ago aged 18) but I have always been very poorly controlled. I have put in to go on a pump and have my first appointment with the consultant on the 10th August. From what I have read and understand, for me personaly it would suit a lot more as I would constantly have a trickling supply into my body and I do have a lot of hypos but trying to get good hba1c's (last weekend had 3 on Sunday alone). As you know, every diabetic is totally different and what works for one might not work for another. The best thing to do is have a read on here and see all of the different circumstances.

I am hoping its not too long of a wait but the first hurdle is getting accepted first!

Lesley x

Hi Phoebe i can only really go on what it is like as a parent with a child on a pump so don't know if it will be of any help. I gave a speech to consultants and DSN on behalf of Medtronic last year who wanted to know how a pump had transformed our daughter's life and how for us as a family, it's long winded but i think it reflects exactly what we feel about pumps.

"R, our daughter, is 6 years old. She was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when she was 3? years old at our local hospital. She was originally put on 3 injections a day, and it was disastrous - this is a period of our lives that we never wish to revisit. Swinging blood levels, feeling out of control and not having a clue what to do were daily. MDI was not much better.

As we wanted the best for our daughter we decided to transfer her to xxxxx, a more proactive hospital than the one that we were at. This turned out to be the best decision we have ever made for our daughter and her future. This however, is closely followed by the decision to put her on the pump. The pump has changed our lives dramatically. At our 6 week clinic, her DSN asked us how it was going, what it was like. I was at a loss for words as I couldn’t begin to describe the massive impact it had had. 4 months on and I am still struggling to get express the transformation.

We feel like we have been reintroduced to our little girl. She has more energy, is happier and brighter. 2 weeks into pumping I can remember commenting to my husband that her behaviour was so out of character. She was constantly chatting, lively, and cheeky and I felt sorry for her poor brother as she was constantly chasing him around! It came as a shock that when it slowly dawned on us that this was the real R – who wasn’t being suppressed by swinging blood levels and generally feeling groggy.

Diabetes came into our lives unexpectedly and uninvited. It disrupted and shook our world. My husband likened diabetes and injections and the decisions we had to make with insulin like driving down a busy motorway blindfolded – not knowing where we were going, what we were doing and who could help. We still have days like this on the pump but not every day. The pump has given us back control; given us our lives back; given us spontaneity and freedom that we had lost; we can relax more and bizarrely we feel like we can breathe.

It’s hard to describe on a bigger scale how the pump has worked for us. I’d like to share with you specific ways in which the pump has changed things for us as a family and for R.

On injections, R would often look pale, ill and tired. The teachers at school would often comment on her performance. The contributing factor was having to wake her at midnight most nights and give her milk, just so she would go through till morning and not go low. We tried other regimes but they didn’t work. She missed several days of school because she was just too tired to function. But NOW, on the pump the transformation is amazing. She has colour in her cheeks, she has less bags under her eyes, she’s sleeping better, we’re sleeping better and life therefore is easier with more sleep all round.

On injections, it was like having a newborn baby. Everything was so regimented with the times we ate. We were constantly clockwatching. If we went out for the day we had to pre-plan where we were going; what time we would get there; how long the journey would be; would this fit in with snacks and lunch?; where the nearest toilets were; would the outing coincide with all mealtimes?; how long would we be out? Etc. This was all before we had even left the house! But NOW, we have spontaneity and freedom back. We can eat when we want early or late. Diabetes does not dictate how we live our lives now, we dictate to the diabetes.

The toilet was R’s best friend on injections. During the morning she would go at least every ? hour. Our target range is 4-10mmol/L. She would wake at a nice figure, say 6mmol/L but 2 hours later at 10am she would spike drastically in the mid to high 20s; then 2 hours later she would crash back to her breakfast figure or even have a hypo. What effect this was having to her little body I do not want to even contemplate! But NOW, on the pump if she started at 6mmol/L she will peak around 10mmol/L and then back to 6mmol/L in four hours. The difference is amazing. It is so beneficial as her play and learning is now not interrupted and she can get on and carry on like a normal 6 year old should.

This is an odd one but on injections there would be so much resentment with my husband over whose turn it was to do the injections. Who did it last time? How many have you done this week? I’ve done “X” amount today” etc. but NOW, the resentment and burden has lifted. It has had a real positive impact on our relationship. Yes, R needs set changes but they are every 3 days. Not 4-5 injections a day.

The last point would be that on injections if R would go around a friend’s house for tea they would want a snack after finishing school. This invariably would be an ‘unhealthy’ snack. R would look with puppy dog eyes at me pleading that she could join them. But she knew that she couldn’t and a slice of ham or cheese was not going to cut it when she saw her friends eating biscuits. She would mimic me saying “After tea with my insulin…” She was impatient, I was impatient both of us hating diabetes. But NOW, on the pump it is just so liberating, so much freedom. It she wants to eat she can, we just bolus and away she goes. This is the same for lollies or chocolates that are given out if it’s a child’s birthday in class. Before, on injections she would come out, lolly in hand pleading to have it whilst watching her friend rip of the wrapper. Again, she couldn’t and she knew she had to wait for her tea to have it with, But NOW, she comes out with lolly in hand she looks at me in wonder and we are both still at that “WOW!” phase, where it’s “yes you can have it isn’t it amazing!!!!”

So, in conclusion…

Looking back I wish that R had started pumping on diagnosis. In the 2? years that have gone, as a parent I have cursed and hated diabetes. I have felt a complete failure, felt so alone, felt out of control, I’ve grieved for my healthy child, and gone through the whole “it’s not fair” process. On top of all of this we’ve muddled through with insulin injections and regimes that just didn’t work and were never going to work judging by the different basal needs that R has. I’m 100% positive that a pump would have made such a difference to how we view life as a whole from the start. Just being able to tinker with basal rates to try and reflect what a healthy pancreas would do or set temp basals for illness or reduce it to prevent lows or for exercise is amazing.

Another positive side is her HB1AC has gone from 9.3% to 8.3% within the 12 weeks pumping. But, in a way, nothing has compared to the knowledge that in just 16 short weeks we know we have improved her quality of life and met our new, happier R."

Hi Phoebe!

I've been diabetic for 30yrs now (dianosed in '79 at 11 months old...78 was a good year to be born eh Lesley!) & have been on both 2 jabs a day & Multiple Daily Injections a la DAFNE (Dose Adjustment for Normal Eating).

2 jabs a day is I suspect ok if you're a) male! (no menstrual hormone swings!) & b) have a really routine lifestyle...I don't match either of those, so doing DAFNE was like a new lease of life for me - eat what you want, when you want etc...Whilst pregnant I managed an HbA1c of 5.2% by taking a facist approach to DAFNE (testing hourly when awake, micro controling etc!), but normally I could expect to get an HbA1c of around 7.5%...

...Except that since having a baby I've developed a strong dawn phenomenon (DP)...grr...which is often apparently where pumps come in handy! Basically from about 3am my BG creeps up - if i increase the background insulin I go hypo over night, if I drop it by the time I get up at 6am my BG can be from 16 - 25mmol! Ouch. So at the moment I am getting up every night for a "booster jab" at between 3-4am. This is enabling me to get an HbA1c of 7.5%, but I'm shattered!!! I told my diabetic team & they told me that the pump is the only way to properly deal with the DP...& now I am scheduled to go on a pump next week. I think it also helps if you are planning a pregnancy too, as the pumps seem to help achieve better control whilst pregnant. So although my HbA1c was ok, I think I fulfil nice criteria under the "quality of life" "DP" & "planning pregnancy" aspects...

Hope that helps!

Twitchy 🙂

What an absolutley lovely write up. I really feel for your little girl and I am so glad that things have settled down and she is so much happier.

in a way, nothing has compared to the knowledge that in just 16 short weeks we k[/I][/B]now we have improved her quality of life and met our new, happier R."[/B][/I][/B]

Just read this & am trying not to blub!! So glad it's been such an improvement! Well done for championing your daughter's care!

Shame we don't get a choice. I'm on tablets and drad the idea of injecting. If I had the choice I think I'd prefer to pump.

Sometimes, when I am being honest with myself, I think that MDI is forcing some good habits on me. Prior to diagnosis I would graze all day and if I wasn't being very active, put on weight. Now, I do feel somewhat restricted as I don't really want to 'bolus for a biscuit', so don't have the biscuit. If I was pumping, I'd probably be eating a lot more in between meals.

Sugarbum recommended a book 'Insulin pump Therapy Demystified by Gabrielle Kaplan-Mayer', which I think I will get so I have a better handle on the pumping malarkey.🙂

Sometimes, when I am being honest with myself, I think that MDI is forcing some good habits on me. Prior to diagnosis I would graze all day and if I wasn't being very active, put on weight. Now, I do feel somewhat restricted as I don't really want to 'bolus for a biscuit', so don't have the biscuit. If I was pumping, I'd probably be eating a lot more in between meals.

Sugarbum recommended a book 'Insulin pump Therapy Demystified by Gabrielle Kaplan-Mayer', which I think I will get so I have a better handle on the pumping malarkey.🙂

Yes same here , I think twice now before eating that biscuit or chocolate where as before I would have just eaten it , MDI makes me think of the consequences more of the things and quantity that I eat. I think of MDI possitively to be honest .

Just ploughing through it now - it's interesting! Not much techincal bumpf, but lots on the day to day & "touchy feely" issues of pumping...I'd definitely recommend it if you're thinking about pumping / about to go on a pump...it's just helped the penny drop about my horrendously high BGs the last few days - stress! (Duh...)

As for not being sure "what all the fuss is about"...ouch, harsh! Although I've had diabetes 30 yrs & never had an issue with injections since going onto pens, I would not judge someone being wary of any change in their control regime and I can imagine that if you've not been exposed to them before, the idea of "lots of jabs" could be very scary. Personally, MDI just didn't work for me, it didn't cut it with my hormonal swings & DP, but all the same is my familiar "way of life" & frankly I'm widdling my pants at the prospect of a major change in my control regime...starting to appreciate what it might be like to be diagnosed at a sentient age!

I think the word 'injections' is what bothers people, but with these pens it's really a bit of a misnomer. There ought to be another word for it, 'penpricks' perhaps 🙂 The problem with MDI is control and flexibility, as you say Twitchy.

Just ploughing through it now - it's interesting! Not much techincal bumpf, but lots on the day to day & "touchy feely" issues of pumping...I'd definitely recommend it if you're thinking about pumping / about to go on a pump...it's just helped the penny drop about my horrendously high BGs the last few days - stress! (Duh...)

As for not being sure "what all the fuss is about"...ouch, harsh! Although I've had diabetes 30 yrs & never had an issue with injections since going onto pens, I would not judge someone being wary of any change in their control regime and I can imagine that if you've not been exposed to them before, the idea of "lots of jabs" could be very scary. Personally, MDI just didn't work for me, it didn't cut it with my hormonal swings & DP, but all the same is my familiar "way of life" & frankly I'm widdling my pants at the prospect of a major change in my control regime...starting to appreciate what it might be like to be diagnosed at a sentient age!

I am sorry you seem to have taken offence at my "what all the fuss is about" comment , I assure you it was not meant to cause any offence so I will appologise now to any who were offended .

Hi Phoebe

My son started on a pump three weeks ago. My thread is called 'started on pump'. You can read about our experience of it on there.

So far, I would highly recommend a pump but that is not to say they are without drawbacks.

My son is hugely happier on one rather than mulitple injections. But, of course, it is a personal choice.

You have to fit certain criteria to get one.

Feel free to ask questions on my thread or pm me anytime.

Mand 🙂🙂

I am sorry you seem to have taken offence at my "what all the fuss is about" comment , I assure you it was not meant to cause any offence so I will appologise now to any who were offended .

D'oh! Personally none taken! Just not too slick at getting a "tongue in cheek" coment across in type sadly! Also a bit concious that not everyone's as robust as some of us...over the years I've been amazed at what people take offence at!...Nightmare eh?!

D'oh! Personally none taken! Just not too slick at getting a "tongue in cheek" coment across in type sadly! Also a bit concious that not everyone's as robust as some of us...over the years I've been amazed at what people take offence at!...Nightmare eh?!

Good point but I also need to remember that although Ive personally grown up surrounded by needles and vials not everyone has and it can be daunting to be faced with the prospect of MDI for some people , I was not overjoyed at the idea of it originally when I went on Insulin , but as I had seen people use syringes and I use a pen , I'm affraid thats where I picked up the "whats all the fuss about " attitude 😱 I am a total needlephobe but pen needles as I am sure you are aware are so much different and tiny compared to proper needles . Hence my love of MDI , I can lead a normal life and more importantly I can live .

I've noticed that I'm snacking less also, and I think I've lost about half a stone, over the last few months, not that I was aiming to! Mind you last time I saw the doc, he said be careful being diabetic you'll find it easy to put lots of weight on!!? So in a way this diabetes thing for me and the MDI has been a wake up call to think about what I eat too. And currently wouldn't even consider a pump, not that I know too much, but I realise we're all different and if my control was worse and I suffered from DP I may well have a different view.

I am a total needlephobe but pen needles as I am sure you are aware are so much different and tiny compared to proper needles . Hence my love of MDI , I can lead a normal life and more importantly I can live .

Totally agree!! This will make you laugh...I jab myself at least 6 times a day (more like 10 some days doh!) but...I can't watch someone else being injected!! How daft is that?!! 😱

I also use to hate having blood taken...then when I was pregnant they took so much I got used to it...til I swelled up with pre eclampsia & they had trouble finding the veins, so when they were taking bloods at least daily it became a game of "hunt the vein", literally digging around blindly...oouch!! It got to the point where at the sight of anyone walking onto the ward with a kidney dish my legs started visibly shaking he he!! :D How embarrassing...!! On the plus side, now when I have blood taken it feels like no trouble at all - silver lining eh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back