Injections and Toilets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can inject in the dark, but I'm not a fan of doing it. I think on injections you need to learn to adapt to the situation at hand. I've sat in the middle of camden market in london and injected before - we'll ignore the druggie who came up and asked if i had any drugs!! Down a muddy ditch, ive injected myself too. Not brilliantly hygenic but needs must on some occasions. Plus, for someone who injects mud through tea so much, I think injecting in a ditch is fiiiiiiiiiine :D

yeah i inject in the dark if i need to. just have to be very aware of where my fingers are so i don't stab myself in the finger instead :d

my Freestyle Lite has a background light, and an LED that shines down from the slot for the testing strip, so testing in the dark is no problem at all. (press the light button to get backlight on as soon as i insert the strip; prick finger; press light button again to get LED so i can see where the blood is on my finger; apply blood and light automatically goes back to the backlight)

ohh my goodness i have the same meter and mine dont hav light

Some places have a first aid room where it may be possible to inject. Where I work anyone wishing to use the first aid room has to be accompanied by a member of the security staff or a first aider. When you are out it is always worth asking if the place you are visiting has a room you can use. You may have to explain, but it is worth asking. I'd hate having to use the toilet and the toilets where i work are very clean.

If darkness is a problem, how do people with no sight inject insulin?!? They just do it - that's why pen devices have click sounds so you can count the number of units as you dial up. I've counted by hearing on many occasions in darkish tents, for example. Admittedly, it takes a bit more care so you don't inject your own finger instead of your tummy or wherever you were aiming for. However, when injecting someone else, it's more tricky - you don't want to risk a needlestick injury with a needle that's been in anyone else, even your own child or partner, although that's less likely to be needed.
I'd like to join Salmonpuff's "injecting in ditches is fine" club!

i would never ever inject in the loo at all. i would have to say that i have never been asked to either and even if i was asked i would refuse due to the fact it is still a germ ridden place no matter how clean it looks.

ive sussed it i have the freestyle freedom lite

yeah your like me aint you alison,its never let me down once very sturdy little number :D

It suits me and seems reliable.

yeah i inject in the dark if i need to. just have to be very aware of where my fingers are so i don't stab myself in the finger instead :d

my Freestyle Lite has a background light, and an LED that shines down from the slot for the testing strip, so testing in the dark is no problem at all. (press the light button to get backlight on as soon as i insert the strip; prick finger; press light button again to get LED so i can see where the blood is on my finger; apply blood and light automatically goes back to the backlight)

Sounds useful. I always find injecting in the dark easier than trying to get a drop of blood on the end of my strip. :( (Mind you, I have recently discovered that the light from my mobile phone disturbs my husband less at night then the torch I used to use - and I can have a quick game of Sudoku at the same time if I want - it's an ill wind and all that. 😛 )

have you ever had to re-test on it yet?
one time it showed a HI reading for me i doubted it re tested and i was 10.4

Just once, when I was hypo and didn't believe it. The machine was right. You do get the odd dud strip, but apart from that I've had no problems.

I wouldn't inject in toilets because I can easily do it in the tum or arm at the table and if someone's got a problem with it then that's their problem not mine. Thankfully no one has ever said anything yet but have seen quite a few just stare the whole time you do it which is just rude really. I injected in the cinema just a couple of days ago and it was fine just a little difficult in the dark lol x

I am still trying to resolve the issue of having been requested to do my blood tests in the loo rather than at my desk because of H&S reasons!

I have done my insulin in the toilet, generally I just inject wherever I am if I need to but there are some situations where I feel a little uncomfortable in people knowing I have diabetes, so will inject in the toilet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back