Injections and Toilets

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCH

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
I was out with a friend who is a nurse. (She is type 2 and has recently started on insulin.)

We were talking about injecting and she said she would not inject in a toilet because it is so unhygenic as someone else could easily flush a toilet while your needle is exposed. :(

I know it sounds daft now, but I hadn't even thought about this. I have always kind of assumed that as long as the toilet looked fairly clean it wasn't a major problem - now all I can think about is all the germs floating about in the air. 😱 😱 😱

Hmm ignorance is bliss!!

Cheers for the heads up I will re think my public house backside injections from now on!🙄

had not thought of that myself either. I always get told off for injecting through my clothes rather than going to the toilets and doing it properly. That image is not going to help.

Hmm, hadn't thought about that aspect of it! I did hear once that whenever a toilet is flushed an aerosol of particles from the toilet is thrown up into the air, so it's not recommended to keep your toothbrush near the loo at home either.

Hmmm, that is actually the precise reason I will not inject in a toilet inless forced to!!! Yet, this is only because of threads brought up here time and time again. Before I joined here (and not all that long ago!) I used to inject in a toilet without any qualms whatsoever!!!!

Injecting in toilets should be banned. It is so unhygenic and potentially bad with all those disgusting germs.

I would have never ever injected Jessica in a toilet/bathroom area. Stuff anyone who says something. I know I'm talking about injecting a child and I have no idea how you all feel doing it to yourself. I think, that knowing my attitude to most things these days I would inject in public and stuff everyone else.

I did occasionally do it through Jessica's leggings.

This is the point of view from some one who does not inject just 2 points

1/ sometimes the need to inject takes over from the surroundings you do it in ?? just an opinion
2/ if a child is seen in a car with its mum injecting nobody thinks a thing or do they? but if someone in there 20's was seen in the toilet injecting would people jump to all sorts on conclusions?? and of course the clenliness of the toilet is key i guess , sometimes toilets are so dirty i would not even use it to wee in never mind inject

Last edited:
Adrienne, i'm more embarrassed about applying make-up in public than injecting. Seriously, I never apply make-up when i'm out, but I always do my injection :D

This is the point of view from some one who does not inject just 2 points

1/ sometimes the need to inject takes over from the surroundings you do it in ?? just an opinion
2/ if a child is seen in a car with its mum injecting nobody thinks a thing or do they? but if someone in there 20's was seen in the toilet injecting would people jump to all sorts on conclusions?? and of course the clenliness of the toilet is key i guess , sometimes toilets are so dirty i would not even use it to wee in never mind inject

I haven't come across anyone, except Daniela, who has been berated for injecting in public place ie restaurant. I have however had a friend who was told off for testing her baby boy's finger in..............a hospital ! She let rip !

Daniela, again her situation involved a nurse. These seems to be a common element here. In a hospital and then a nurse. (not having a go at all nurses here by the way)

I think injections these days are somewhat different to using the syringes of old. I would think that the majority use pens. The needles are small, they are not as fussy and can be done discreetly if that is your aim, at a table. If an adult was to get out a syringe in a toilets then I may question it, depending on the circumstances and what I saw of course, so yes jumping to conclusions.

I used to have to mix insulin and saline in a syringe for Jessica. I always had to do that at home, the mixing was big mathematical sums and I'm rubbish at maths so couldn't do that out.

I agree with your number one, that must happen.

However, I have never had a problem with injecting Jessica in public, just let someone dare tell me otherwise. I do, however, welcome questions from people. I will talk about diabetes till the cows come home and I get in all the awareness stuff etc etc

Adrienne, i'm more embarrassed about applying make-up in public than injecting. Seriously, I never apply make-up when i'm out, but I always do my injection :D

🙂
The difference there though is that make up is just an added extra. The insulin is part of you.

so if a child was in the cinema lets say for example and needed to inject what would happen then ?

Sorry steff, don't understand your point? they would just inject...

no no , wasnt a point was question, would the darkness of cinema not hamper injection no?

no no , wasnt a point was question, would the darkness of cinema not hamper injection no?

Yes of course but you would avoid that scenario. With a pump its easy, you turn the back light on.

If Jessica was on injections and wanted popcorn and had to have an injection to cover it, I would do it in the light in the foyer. Most cinemas have a seating area of some sort or before the lights when down. She would start eating straight away.

When you have injections, you learn to adapt to suit the scenario you are in or going into so you wouldn't be caught short like in a dark cinema. Everything has to be thought through beforehand.

I tell you going out for the day or away for the weekend, even just to my mums, is a military operation. You take the medical suitcase/box and I often forget stuff for me as I have my head in medical gear !

oh right, I see, sorry lol. Personally I can do my injections in the dark, on a rollercoaster etc (Ok, I havent tried on a rollercoaster, only a car). In sweet this month there was a piece about useful things to have and a woman said she has a light that she takes to the cinema so she can test, it was a reading light.

I guess a parent would take their child outside into the hallway.

right thank you gals i was just curious , i guess its planning

I did inject in the dark last time I went to the cinema actually, because I had a big bag of sweets and forgot to do it before I went in 😉

Thats it Steff planning, something I never used to do🙄 but you gotta roll with it

yeah i inject in the dark if i need to. just have to be very aware of where my fingers are so i don't stab myself in the finger instead :d

my Freestyle Lite has a background light, and an LED that shines down from the slot for the testing strip, so testing in the dark is no problem at all. (press the light button to get backlight on as soon as i insert the strip; prick finger; press light button again to get LED so i can see where the blood is on my finger; apply blood and light automatically goes back to the backlight)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back