Injection of Mix 30 morning Mix 30 tea time

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's got me thinking. Like u said before they put you on Novo30 it was fine before (honeymoon period) Novorapid is an anologue insulin where as mix30 is human/animal insulin, could this not be a factor in control???

I don't know whether it was the change from Human to Analogue Insulin that upset the whole thing, but I agree, it could be a possibility. But she is now on NovoRapid and Levemir. Both are Analogue Insulins and they seem to work fine for her.

I have a list from Diabetes UK with all the insulins available. There are still some Human/Animal fast acting insulins still available.
And long lasting ones are available too.

If you really think you're having all this trouble because he's using Analogue Insulin, then DO discuss it with the Diabetes Team.

To touch on the point you made about having 2 injections and still eat what you want. I don't agree that is the case at all. With 2 injections he will have to eat to order basically. He will have to eat when he doesn't feel like it and at other times he will want to eat something and you'll have to say no, because it might/will make him go high. As shiv already said it all, I won't repeat it.
I thought that my daughter would miss having her 2 biscuits in the morning and 2 in the afternoon and her bedtime snack, when we changed to MDI, but she said it was much better that she doesn't have to eat them anymore. Although she does sometimes have a snack at bedtime even though it means injecting for it.

Hello,

I was on Human Mixtard 30 for the first 4-5 years after being diagnosed and it used to give me great control.

In year 2 or 3 I was also given some ActRapid (fast only) so I could use that to bring my BG down if it was too high, and also to cover the occasional naughty snack.

I'm now on multiple daily injections (MDI) using seperate Fast and Slow insulin, but this was a personal choice to give me more flexibility over the times I choose to eat.

If you're happy with the Mix 30 then I'd say stick with it, but you might want to discuss the possibility of using some fast only insulin to cover snacks, or to use for correction doses if his BG is higher than your target range.

NiVZ

Thanks everyone for the information.
My DSN has been tonight and we went over the sensor graphs on the computer. It was a good eye opener and the averages aren't to bad although the hypo's n the highs are leveling out the average. So she has made a slight change to his settings and we are going to use the sensor again for another 6 days then see what changes are to be made and where.
The graphs can be really daunting but when your shown where to look and which ones to use they aren't actually that bad.
So I have a bit of confidence again to keep trying.

I got so excited speaking to my brothers friend on Saturday that lived on 2 injections aday I didn't look at it rationally for a 4yr old.🙂

I'm glad your DSN has restored your confidence in continuing with the pump therapy. Personally, I know nothing of it. But C and I both agree that she'd never go back to 2 a day.

I know it can become quite disheartening when you don't see the good results you'd like to see.

I wish you good luck and keep my fingers crossed that the adjustments will improve the levels. Keep strong! 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back