Injection of Mix 30 morning Mix 30 tea time

Status
Not open for further replies.

simone3112

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Does anyone have this regime. I have just spoken to my friends brother 2n who is 32 that hasn't had an hba1c over 6.8 since being on this regime. I know every diabetic's different. He said he tried Novorapid but couldn't tell hypo/hyper's when he was on it. Mixtard works for him and has for years. Is anyone else on JUST mixtard.

I was on Mixtard for about 2 or 3 years ago, from about 2004 - 2006ish.

Thing is...if he's happy with it, he has hypo awareness, and his hba1c is good - then why not do it? He's obviously aware there are other options out there, so good for him for being on something that works for him 🙂

I was on Mixtard for about 2 or 3 years ago, from about 2004 - 2006ish.

Thing is...if he's happy with it, he has hypo awareness, and his hba1c is good - then why not do it? He's obviously aware there are other options out there, so good for him for being on something that works for him 🙂

Did you have just mixtard. Im saying this cause Harrison bloods are all over the place. His lowest HbA1c was on mix30 n Novo but he experienced more hypo that was prob why? He said when he was on mix n novo he had problems but on mix n mix he has been great. Harrison is on novo constantly. WOT IF IT'S NOVO that doesn't agree with him like it didn't agree with Chrissy? I know every diabetic is different but just weighing out my options xx

At that time, yes, I was just on Mixtard 30.

Best to talk to your team if you think he could do better on something else. My HbA1cs were better when I was on 2 x daily injections as I had a very rigid routine of eating and snacking. With the lifestyle I have now, that's just not practical at all for me!

I was on NovoMix30 for a long time and in the end it just didn't work. I was doing well over 100 units a day and could NEVER get my BG into single figures.

I am now on Levemir and Novorapid and they're working wonders. But as said, if it works for him and he's happy, he should stick with it

My son is 4 has tried mix30 n novo, levemir n novo n now pump therapy. He is all over the place. I spoke 2 someone 2n who has said mix30 morning n mix30 tea n it has done wonders for him. He never checks his bloods n has HbA1c of 6.3. He said he tried Novo n it sent him all over. Im wondering if like him Novo is the problem. Im trying to rule out the novo. Im meeting his Diabetes Nurse on Monday n thinking about asking to try this regime as the pump is not working.

How long has he been pumping? It's really good that you're going to see the DSN, they can help you loads.

There are other fast acting insulins around he could try?

How long has he been pumping? It's really good that you're going to see the DSN, they can help you loads.

There are other fast acting insulins around he could try?

He's been on the pump since Aug 09. 10 months. We never had a problem till he got an infection in Feb 10 (normal childhood virus). Since then he's been all over the place. Harry's life is ruled by blood sugar testing and programming carbs. I get up at 1.30am n 4.30am (recently fitted the sensor but still waking up those times). My friends brother doesn't carb count, eats when n how he wants n takes 2 injections a day. The end result is 6.8 HbA1c!!!! 10 BSL every carb programmed. 2 iphone app's n a food diary later. 8.5 HbA1c. A long shot I know but WOT IF??? x

Thing is - every diabetic is very very very different (I know you said that, but always worth saying again). That works great for your friend's brother, but I suspect he is not giving you the full picture if I am honest - perhaps that 6.8% is a reflection of a mix of highs and lows? It can be frustrating when someone seems to have it 'easy'. As for him not carb counting - if he's on 2 injections a day, he's going to have to be eating to match that insulin, so he probably knows by now the amount of food he has to eat to cover that insulin.

I really think it is important not to focus on what he is doing and how it's working for him - but find what works for your son. You obviously care a lot (as any mother would!!) 🙂 Have a really good talk to your DSN, tell them everything you've heard about, ask their advice - it could be something to do with his ratios, basal, all that funky stuff we all hate!

I can't comment on the mixtard, but what I would say is that there is a huge difference between a small child and an adult in how they will react. Insulin is one part of an endocrine system that includes many other hormones which are more or less active and influential at different stages of life. It's frustrating that there are no real rules, but each individual can vary so much you can only pick up on the odd clue that might be worth trying, preferabley from someone in as close a situation as possible.

We have tried..........Mix30 morning Novo tea. Mix30 morn, Novo dinner, Novo tea. lev morn, nov dinner, nov tea. lev morn, novo dinner, nov tea, lev supper. Lev/novo morn, nov dinner, nov tea, lev supper. Lev/novo morning, novo dinner, novo tea, lev/novo supper.
Pump therapy Aug 09. Changed basal/sensitivity/raitos so many times.
No 2 days r the same!!!!I understand as a 4yr old this is normal.
Im a mother n my son goes to school in september without constant supervision!!!! Harry lives his life by carbs n BSL. Wot if novo doesn't agree with him??? It's worth a try? Believe me I will talk this through with my nurse on Monday. Harry is used to living with the pump n the last thing I want to do is disrupt him anymore than I need to. BUT WOT IF NOVO IS THE COMMON DENOMINATOR. As a mother I can't rule out the possibility!!!!!!!!! Harry is a million 2 1 in diabetes n personality. He could be the million 2 1 person in insulin preference????????

Simone, it may be that an animal insulin might work better for him - I know we have had members in the past who do much better on them than the synthetic stuff like novorapid. Just something else to throw into the equation when you speak to the nurse.

Simone, it may be that an animal insulin might work better for him - I know we have had members in the past who do much better on them than the synthetic stuff like novorapid. Just something else to throw into the equation when you speak to the nurse.

Thank u from the bottom of my heart!!!! I know Im looking for answers that may never well be found but I just want as much info as possible. If I accepted the constant flucuation in BSL AS being a 4yr old being 4yrs old then I wouldn't be a MOTHER. Harrison should be able to enjoy life and the trouble being 4 brings (like climbing on my car roof n dancing!!). Im not optimistic by any means but tonight by chance i've found a possible alternative. To describe my son it would be 'the littlest hobo' he's constantly dirty, never wears shoes (i do put them on) n wanders into neighbours houses (uninvited). I hang my head in shame most of the time a the state of him (today spent the day with only 1 shoe on!!!) I want to keep him like that. The older he gets the more diabetes RULES. He a loveable rogue! Thank u again. With diabetes everyone expects u to accept it n get on with it. I can't accept it n keep trying. 2n has showed me a possibility (however small) that I can stop worrying about BSL and start worrying about him falling out of trees lol xxx

I can't tell you what to do, so I'm just writing down our experience with all the different insulins my daughter has been using the last 3 years.

When C was first diagnosed aged 10 she was given Mixtard30, to be injected by syringe. This seemed to work quite well.( I'm now putting it down to the "honeymoon phase".) After 4 months we asked if we could change from syringes to the pens. So they also changed the insulin to NovoMix30. At first that was ok, but as time went on we noticed that she always went hypo in the morning, despite her snack and then was high at tea time.

As she couldn't do her own injections I didn't want her to go on to MDI. So the doc suggested NovoMix30 in the morning, NovoRapid at the evening meal and Levemir for bed. That wasn't ideal either, but at least we could bring her "down" with extra NovoRapid in the evening.

Now, she's on MDI(since oct 09) and we haven't looked back. I can't say her levels are perfect, but her control is much better and the regime isn't quite so regimented.

We were told that keeping a child's blood levels "good" is harder than an adult's, because they're growing and therfor releasing growth hormones, which affects the glucose.

One thing is for sure, as a mum you will NEVER stop worrying about the BSL whatever insulin your child is using. Well, I won't anyway!😱

It's got me thinking. Like u said before they put you on Novo30 it was fine before (honeymoon period) Novorapid is an anologue insulin where as mix30 is human/animal insulin, could this not be a factor in control???

Never used mixed insulins so cant comment. I think it would be helpful if you post a full days readings and what food and carbs he has eaten so we can get an idea if there is something odd going on.🙂

Post his basals and his carb intake and ratios and any activity he has done. I am not doubting what you are saying - its just that sometimes it takes a third party to spot something.🙂Bev

I started off on mixed insulin and found that it wasn't quite right - the base dose didn't seem to be high enough, and the rapid worked at the wrong speed and I ended up hypo, particluarly late morning, then high in the afternoon.

Since going to MDI (about 10 days ago only I'm afraid) it's been a lot more straightforward - morning levels have been steadier and its good being able to have the ability to correct if necessary, however, not much help for a 4 year old who doesn't have constant supervision I'm afraid... Just my feeling, but I didn't find the ration in the pre-mix was quite right for me.

Hope this helps a little,

R

Hi Bev.

I could go through his daily totals he averages out 10 bsl 100-140 carbs n between 40 - 50% basal n 40 - 50% bolus. 10 - 14 units.

On average everything looks the same but going off my knowledge. Basal couldn't keep him on a level all day!!! He hypo's, change the carb/sensitivity he still hypo's. He hypo's randomly - esp at night 1.30am 3am 4.30 am 11.30pm etc - no active insulin. Most days between 12pm - 3pm. It's been this way since diagnosis in Nov 08.

He hypos on average 2 times a day sometimes minor 3.9 other times lower! He has atleast 1 high over 16 per day.

We've went back to basic with the settings n sensor this week. Bad week as he has been off so hasn't had normal routine! However the same patterns have happened just at different times.

Looking at the bigger picture and his 2.5 yrs of BSL. His patterns have never really changed and we have never had 2 days of consistant readings.

The pump has made no really difference apart from nightime hypo's being able to reduce/suspend pump - for me I still react the same way as I would with injections n check constantly!

Harrison is like the littlest hobo n loves being out doors. Everything he eats is monitored - no avail - BS are still done as often but his HbAc1 levels are higher than what he was when he was on injections.

I worry about him starting full time education in september!!! Will they check n correct him like I would? Will they honestly watch him n carb count his dinner? Will they even care?

Im looking at the bigger picture. I have religously monitored him carb counted everything n if I had perfect levels or even near on perfect I would accept this.
We don't n have normality n Harry half the time doesn't know whether he's low or he's high!!!!

Maybe their's a chance that it's the novo that isn't working.
Maybe it's him n his age that keeps his bsl irrational. Either way I have no control over his BSL. Im not making any decisions until I talk with my nurse 2m. In context.... Ur son is diagnosed with diabetes u can.... 1). have 2 injections a day n he can eat wot he wants. 2). insulin pump, programme every carb into it n still make corrections. ITS THE SAME OUTCOME IN CONTROL AT PRESENT.

I know what people think about injections n how good pump therapy is. It hasn't worked like that for us.
Harry doesn't know what hypo's n hypers r! Extreme hypo's 2.4 n lower he feels tired (you can imagine my reaction if he falls asleep during the day)!!! The pump has reduced the extreme highs but not the extreme lows. It's double the work, double the control over harrisons freedom but not the results. x

hi simone from reading through i can no way comment re the insulin etc etc BUT i see that one of you major stress worries at mo is going to school....do you know the school already ? can you start going to see them with maybe the dsn to discuss H needs re CARE ...isnt there some sort of care plan or something that needs to be agreed ..other parents will im sure help you out or there maybe even a template ....??
the school will be busy with end of term but get in now make the appointments get the balll rolling so to speak ...

good luck from a parent of an asthmatic son just about to leave the school system ....phew !

In context.... Ur son is diagnosed with diabetes u can.... 1). have 2 injections a day n he can eat wot he wants. 2). insulin pump, programme every carb into it n still make corrections. ITS THE SAME OUTCOME IN CONTROL AT PRESENT

I just wanted to give you my personal experience of life on 2 x injections a day. I was on it for over 15 years (age 3 to 18). It definitely wasn't the case of being able to eat what I want - if you think about it logically, it just can't work like that, as where is the bolus insulin coming from?

I used to have to eat 3 meals and 3 snacks a day. Which might sound good, but trust me, it gets very boring very quickly, especially when you're not hungry. You have to eat the meals/snacks at roughly the same time each day.

If someone had a birthday at school and brought in sweets, I couldn't have them, because I would go high as I couldn't bolus for them. I could have cake only at other children's birthday parties.

Because there was no way to correct my BG levels with only 2 injections a day, I'd have to be very careful about the type of food I ate. I remember the days of being high and having to run up and down the stairs to try and bring my BG levels back down. Ultimately, diabetes definitely had the upper hand, as I was totally ruled by the regime. Being spontaneous was difficult - when I was in college, I couldn't just go out with my friends after college as I'd need to go home and get my insulin. Eating later than normal could risk a hypo. etc etc etc.

Simone - have you got in touch with the Children With Diabetes emailing group? There are hundreds of parents on there that could give you help/advice 🙂

edit: just found this thread from a few weeks ago: http://www.diabetessupport.co.uk/boards/showthread.php?t=8311

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back