Injecting in public

Status
Not open for further replies.

ali

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I am doing a report into diabetes and am interested to find out how other people deal with injections when they are out. Do you go to the bathroom to inject, do you do it where you, are have you had any problems from other people offended by you taking injections ect.

Injecting

Never had any problems injecting at the table when I am out or anywhere tbh, other people have horror stories though, there is also a message thread on here somewhere about some silly nurse who put a story in the Balance mag about how you should go to the loo's etc which caused uproar as toilets are the dirtiest place you could inject in, germs and the like 🙂

The simplest way to it do it is discreetly at the table, toilets are not very hygienic. It is quite easy to hide. I am more worried about testing in public, but didn't have any problems with either. yet 🙂

i do inject in public and i do it discreetly but i have had people occasionally make comments. My brother who is also diabetic knows someone that was confronted by a manager at a resteraunt and accused him of taking drugs. I am surprised at how ignorant some people are to diabetes. I was made very unwell at a resteraunt before as i cant tell the difference between diet and regular coke all of a sudden by bm shot up and i get very good warning signs for hypos and hypers

just because u said this, next time i eat out im going to stand up, lift my top up and jack up!!

(im such a rebel)

Be careful how high you lift that top katie, otherwise it might not be only the nurses in the restaurant who are shocked!😱:D

I am doing a report into diabetes and am interested to find out how other people deal with injections when they are out. Do you go to the bathroom to inject, do you do it where you, are have you had any problems from other people offended by you taking injections ect.

When I was first diagnosed I was very self conscious about it and used to go off to the toilets to inject. That didn't last a huge amount of time though as I soon realised that I didn't feel I should have to hide it. I'll usually inject and test my blood very discreetly under the table and often the people I'm with won't even realise. I've had a few odd looks along the way but no one's ever said anything to me.

Hi Ali
I am fairly new to this but i do inject in public and try to be discreet. I am still very self conscious about it but my husband is great and always tells me there is nothing to worry about and if other people don,t like it then it is their problem not mine.

Thanks for responding so quickly i'm glad everyone feels the same as me

The only time I dont inject in public is if I wear a dress. Its not that easy to be discreet if ur pants are showing!!! I have used toilets on a few of these occasions but only if someone has been with me who can hold everything while I do. Wouldnt want to put anything down in a toilet.

I am defo new, and at the mo, do not need to inject. My point (and I await my fate from the lady's), is that it seems to be exceptable for woman to breast feed in public.........so hey!!, go for it.

I am defo new, and at the mo, do not need to inject. My point (and I await my fate from the lady's), is that it seems to be exceptable for woman to breast feed in public.........so hey!!, go for it.

really? because ive heard it's not really accepted, which of course is terrible - surely it's one of the most natural things in the world?

but hey, that's another debate lol.

just because u said this, next time i eat out im going to stand up, lift my top up and jack up!!

(im such a rebel)

I think you should stand on the table and inject in your bum! :D

I went out on friday with a group of diabetics and it was really cool to be sat in the restaurant and everyone was testing and injecting

I always inject in public if i need to... why hide we're not doing anything to be ashamed of 🙂

I think the problem that non-Diabetics have with us injecting in public is they think we're being rude in not offering them any.

So go ahead, offer a non-Diabetic some insulin and see what they do then! :D

I think the problem that non-Diabetics have with us injecting in public is they think we're being rude in not offering them any.

So go ahead, offer a non-Diabetic some insulin and see what they do then! :D

Ha ha ..good point ... i think i know a few people i wouldnt mind sharing my insulin with 🙂

Alex always tries to inject discreetly - mostly because he feels embarrased as he is 11!

BUT - we have just come back from the weekend with 35 type 1 children and he said it was the most relaxed he has felt - being able to inject and finger prick etc in front of lots of people and no-one batting an eye! He also loved seeing the various types of pumps etc and the sensors etc..🙂Bev

Alex always tries to inject discreetly - mostly because he feels embarrased as he is 11!

BUT - we have just come back from the weekend with 35 type 1 children and he said it was the most relaxed he has felt - being able to inject and finger prick etc in front of lots of people and no-one batting an eye! He also loved seeing the various types of pumps etc and the sensors etc..🙂Bev

thats great bev, glad alex enjoyed the weekend. Hope all went well at the hospital. 🙂

I think you should stand on the table and inject in your bum! :D

I went out on friday with a group of diabetics and it was really cool to be sat in the restaurant and everyone was testing and injecting

omg 😱 hahaha, i would never get my bum out :D

where did you find a group of diabetics??? hehe, it sounds fun, i want to do that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back