Information gratefully received

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandyp

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Good afternoon, after a terrible spell of sciatica my Dr ran a full set of blood recently and results have come back without any major concerns. Cholesterol and kidneys all good. Bloods came back at 9.

After 10 years of Metformin Dr now wants me to add empagliflozin. Does anyone have any comments? Thanks in advance.

After 10 years of Metformin Dr now wants me to add empagliflozin. Does anyone have any comments? Thanks in advance.
What kind of diet do you have? Empagliflozin isn’t recommended if you follow a low carb diet. Also make sure you know the signs of DKA, as it’s a possible side effect (albeit rare it’s not unheard of, I had it within a few days of starting and have heard of others).

What kind of diet do you have? Empagliflozin isn’t recommended if you follow a low carb diet. Also make sure you know the signs of DKA, as it’s a possible side effect (albeit rare it’s not unheard of, I had it within a few days of starting and have heard of others).
I try to have a decent varied diet and dont count calories or follow a low carb diet, but I just try to be sensible. If I'm honest I could do better, being single and working in a very busy environment I don't make as fresh as I should. (Lazy I know)
I suppose I need to ask myself should I try to lose weight and sort the diet before attempting this new med. 6ft and 14st 12

I try to have a decent varied diet and dont count calories or follow a low carb diet, but I just try to be sensible. If I'm honest I could do better, being single and working in a very busy environment I don't make as fresh as I should. (Lazy I know)
I suppose I need to ask myself should I try to lose weight and sort the diet before attempting this new med. 6ft and 14st 12
You sound as if you are in the situation I describe as an overflowing sink (high blood glucose) where you can bail out the water (take various oral medication) but unless you turn off the tap (reduce the carbohydrates which convert to glucose ) then the sink will still overflow.
I would think you should take a serious look at your diet.

You sound as if you are in the situation I describe as an overflowing sink (high blood glucose) where you can bail out the water (take various oral medication) but unless you turn off the tap (reduce the carbohydrates which convert to glucose ) then the sink will still overflow.
I would think you should take a serious look at your diet.
That's a fantastic analogy. Time to stop making excuses and take control! Thank you

That's a fantastic analogy. Time to stop making excuses and take control! Thank you

Good luck with your new menu-tweaking endeavours.

There’s a lower carb meal plan if you are interested in exploring that option.

In that section there are also a variety of other approaches including Mediterranean, low calorie, budget-friendly, and other things too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back