• Please Remember: Members are only permitted to share their own experiences. Members are not qualified to give medical advice. Additionally, everyone manages their health differently. Please be respectful of other people's opinions about their own diabetes management.

Incensed!

Admin

Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi I take most things that are said about diabetes with a pinch of salt - but I have been listening to Radio 1 all day and their top news story is about the rise in type 2 diabetes (a 73% rise) due to a pres release by Diabetes UK. Anyway - in their report they defined the difference between Type 1 and Type 2 - great I thought - as I know there is so much ignorance about the difference - but do you know what their definition for Type 1 was - it is inherited.
Honestly - I have been spitting feathers and even emailed the news team there! This is such bad, bad reporting.

Anyway - apart from that great news that the story is out there - :)
Glad to see you are all doing well - am keeping an eye on you all and reading every day!! :D
Just not getting chance to post as often as I would like. I really am loving everyone's participation and so pleased we have created a great inclusive community. :)

There is so much bad science reporting out there, it really is very unhelpful. It's no wonder that there is confusion in the general public - surely it's just as easy to get the facts right? And I know they're trying to get the general message out that being overweight and lazy can lead to bad things in as short a soundbite as possible, but continually using the word 'diabetes' alongside the word 'obesity' means only one perception sinks in.

Anyone interested in how bad and often manipulative science reporting is should check out Ben Goldacre's Bad Science column in the Guardian, or read his website at http://www.badscience.net/

And you're right, Admin, this is a terrific community - thanks for making it possible!:)

Do we have a journalist member who could be our press officer ? We might then have an official (or semi-official) voice in such matters. Collectively we know more about the subject than any other group in existence and could feed accurate information to the world at large. What do you think ?

There was a piece in my Metro this morning which sai there is a link between obesity and diabetes.

If I didn't know better I'd say all the fat people in the world were diabetic.

It strikes me that if you smoke the NHS is willing to help you quit, but if you're fat, overweight, obese or just plain podgy no one realy cares. Any one important from the NHS here? Help us lose weight and stop being diabetic.

OK rant over...

I know they're trying to get the general message out that being overweight and lazy can lead to bad things in as short a soundbite as possible

I am sorry Northerner, I think it is wrong to label anyone as "lazy". If a person is fat and leads a sedentary lifestyle they should be given support and encouragement to become more active and find a diet and form of exercise they enjoy, not labelled as lazy and blamed for any medical condition they develop. Losing weight and changing your diet and activity level is a difficult thing to do and requires determination to stick at it. People are unlikely to have that determination, and their efforts are unlikely to last, if they are doing it under sufferance. Labels like this don't help. Most people don't gain weight because they are "lazy" or bad people. They gain it for any number of reasons but blame is not likely to help them, and that is why I find change4life so offensive.

There are adverts for NHS stop smoking services which stress the friendly nature of the help you can get. Some also use scare tactics, showing ill people, clogged arteries etc, but they do seem to be using more of a two-pronged approach, using the carrot as well as the stick to get people to stop smoking. Why can't they do the same for fat people? Why is the tone of the message so different? Why are there no NHS support services for people who want to eat more healthily or become more active? Or, if these services exist, why are they not advertised? It seems to be all private companies like Weight Watchers whose emphasis is on weight loss rather than on being more healthy.

I guess the problem is that 80% of people diagnosed with type 2 diabetes are overweight and it's the biggest risk factor. Sure there are others, but theres not alot you can do about your family history, or your body shape or your age. But weight is something that people can modify.

I haven't heard the explanation of type 1 being inherited, i think you were right to email to try and inform there, will be interested to hear any response. I wonder if people who have other conditions come up against the same things, eg. epilepsy, whenever there are reports in the news or characters on tv they talk on their forums about the inaccuracies of reporting/portayal.

I am sorry Northerner, I think it is wrong to label anyone as "lazy". If a person is fat and leads a sedentary lifestyle they should be given support and encouragement to become more active and find a diet and form of exercise they enjoy, not labelled as lazy and blamed for any medical condition they develop. Losing weight and changing your diet and activity level is a difficult thing to do and requires determination to stick at it. People are unlikely to have that determination, and their efforts are unlikely to last, if they are doing it under sufferance. Labels like this don't help. Most people don't gain weight because they are "lazy" or bad people. They gain it for any number of reasons but blame is not likely to help them, and that is why I find change4life so offensive.

Hi Lizzie, do forgive me please, I worded things badly. What I was trying to say was that the message being put out is that people are being too lazy,so that is becoming part of the stigma - that you get diabetes because you're fat and because you're lazy. I don't agree with that message because it's too simplistic and unhelpful. Hope I haven't just dug a deeper hole!

I have always been rtaher on the big side, not to put too fine a point on it I'm fat.

I tired weight watchers as an adult but they didn't adress the emotional issues around being so big.

My GP sent me to the detician when I asked for help. APart from getting the same mixed messages I get from the press/media I didn't get any emotional help.

I know WHY I reach for cetain foods, I just need a supportive shoulder to cry on sometimes and not someone who will offer me more comfort food. I wonder if those of us who want to lose weight can sue the NHS for discrimination?

Hi Lizzie, do forgive me please, I worded things badly. What I was trying to say was that the message being put out is that people are being too lazy,so that is becoming part of the stigma - that you get diabetes because you're fat and because you're lazy. I don't agree with that message because it's too simplistic and unhelpful. Hope I haven't just dug a deeper hole!

Thats OK Northerner. I feel quite strongly about the way fat people are treated at the moment. I am sure you don't share the negative views of fat people held by the government and media.

Good post!

When Alex was diagnosed we were told it was a genetic problem inherited from a family member. There was no-one we knew in our families to suggest a link - until we found out his great great great grandmother had died aged 30 very underweight and had gone blind - this was in 1902 ish - so we suspect it was diabetes she had. I really did think there was a genetic link? Are you saying there isnt?

On the subject of the NHS helping fat people to lose weight - they are - a distant member of my family is a young man aged 27 who is obese and his doctor gave him a 'voucher' to go and use the local gym for free for 6 months - he never went and is getting larger. I dont know what the aswer is about helping him anymore as he doesnt seem motivated enough to even try to go to the gym.
Bev

Good post!

When Alex was diagnosed we were told it was a genetic problem inherited from a family member. There was no-one we knew in our families to suggest a link - until we found out his great great great grandmother had died aged 30 very underweight and had gone blind - this was in 1902 ish - so we suspect it was diabetes she had. I really did think there was a genetic link? Are you saying there isnt?

On the subject of the NHS helping fat people to lose weight - they are - a distant member of my family is a young man aged 27 who is obese and his doctor gave him a 'voucher' to go and use the local gym for free for 6 months - he never went and is getting larger. I dont know what the aswer is about helping him anymore as he doesnt seem motivated enough to even try to go to the gym.
Bev

I think there is a genetic link to type 1, my dad had it and so do I.

Maybe for some people a gym voucher would help and maybe they also provide a supportive person who your relative can see regularly to chart his progress and motivate him to keep going. But just handing over a bit of paper doesn't sound enough to me. In the stop smoking ads I mentioned, they say you can attend group meetings and help each other to quit - that is the kind of thing I meant. Any lifestyle change if sustained long term requires this kind of support but it seems to be lacking for fat people. We seem to be expected to be able to motivate ourselves.

Also, maybe the gym is not a form of exercise he enjoys. Did the doctor bother to discuss with this man what he likes doing and try to find a form of exercise he might like and be motivated to do? Or did they just hand out a gym voucher and move onto the next patient? I personally hate most gyms. I find them very intimidating with the loud music and flashing video screens and the bouncy, toned staff. The only one I have found which is a remotely friendly environment for fat people is Curves. But unfortunately I can't afford to go and my doctor doesn't provide gyms on prescription, if they did it would probably be the tatty local council facilities.

Last edited:
exercise on prescription and health walks schemes

Several NHS areas have "Exercise on prescription" schemes, and many GPs suggest less-than-fit and/or more-than-ideal-weight people try walking. Walking for Health website is searchable for guided walks in England only - see http://www.whi.org.uk/
For Scotland, see http://www.pathsforall.org.uk/pathstohealth/ or http://www.csft.org.uk/health_and_exercise/health_walks for Central Scotland Forest walk maps & guides
For Wales, Let's Walk Cymru see http://www.ww2h.org.uk/
For Northern Ireland, try http://www.getalifegetactive.com/ Searchable by council area on http://www.getalifegetactive.com/whatsHappeninginNI.asp

Several NHS areas have "Exercise on prescription" schemes, and many GPs suggest less-than-fit and/or more-than-ideal-weight people try walking. Walking for Health website is searchable for guided walks in England only - see http://www.whi.org.uk/
For Scotland, see http://www.pathsforall.org.uk/pathstohealth/ or http://www.csft.org.uk/health_and_exercise/health_walks for Central Scotland Forest walk maps & guides
For Wales, Let's Walk Cymru see http://www.ww2h.org.uk/
For Northern Ireland, try http://www.getalifegetactive.com/ Searchable by council area on http://www.getalifegetactive.com/whatsHappeninginNI.asp

Those things are all great. But my point still stands - there are no support services for fat people. Fat people are just expected to suddenly start going to the gym and eating well, all on our own. That is hard if you have not eaten healthily or exercised for a while. If you are quitting smoking you can meet with other quitters in NHS funded schemes. If you want to lose weight, there are only paid-for schemes like Weight Watchers.

Hi Lizzie,

Please dont take me wrong - i wasnt in any way being 'judgemental' about all fat people being lazy/ and or not motivated. I am not skinny myself - my weight fluctuates a lot - but i do go to the gym and go on the tread machine - yes its boring but i wear headphones and choose my own entertainment - and i go in the swimming pool - but i have to say that NEVER have i felt intimidated by anyone there - most people have the same goal in site and are more likely to help out if your having troubles. There are only a few 'toned bodies' there and nobody looks or makes fun of anyone! I also feel mentally 'happier' after exercising which in turn stops me wanting to eat 'junk food' so its a winner in every way.
The young man concerned asked the doctor for the gym vouchers - i dont know why he didnt go - but its very sad for him that he didnt see it as an opportunity to 'start' down the more healthy road.
I also agree with you that gyms are not for everyone and they can be expensive - but walking is free and you get a much nicer view. But i do understand that some people get into a rut and just dont know where to start!:)Bev

Genetic link?

I think there is a genetic link to type 1, my dad had it and so do I.
Maybe for you Lizzie - but certainly not for me and a lot of others. It's like most things with diabetes - everything put under one blanket and what's right for one is not for another. What I objected to in the report was it was making the assumption that all people with Type 1 diabetes had it because they had inherited it - and this just isn't so.

Hi!
So if not all diabetes type 1 is genetic - what is the cause? Do we know? Bev

Hi!
So if not all diabetes type 1 is genetic - what is the cause? Do we know? Bev
I've heard/read that it can be genetic OR an auto-immune issue where the auto immunity systems targets and destroys the beta cells in the pancreas OR an illness can wipe the beta cells.

Not sure how accurate or correct any of those three are, but they are the main causes I've found out about.

I find that the media as part of the "Ministry of misinformation" will only put out what will be good headlines or viewing ratings pullers.

So much good research is abstracted to suit the editor/presenter. The latest on this evening's ITV news compared the UK with USA and quoting stats from unsubstantiated sources stated that obesity related T2 was worse here.

Having had to scrutinise PhD students' past work, in many cases found that it had been sponsored by the companies who were seeking "Academic support" for their sales and in fact other students could have done the same research and found totally contradictory evidence.

Hi I take most things that are said about diabetes with a pinch of salt - but I have been listening to Radio 1 all day and their top news story is about the rise in type 2 diabetes (a 73% rise) due to a pres release by Diabetes UK. Anyway - in their report they defined the difference between Type 1 and Type 2 - great I thought - as I know there is so much ignorance about the difference - but do you know what their definition for Type 1 was - it is inherited.
Honestly - I have been spitting feathers and even emailed the news team there! This is such bad, bad reporting.

Anyway - apart from that great news that the story is out there - :)
Glad to see you are all doing well - am keeping an eye on you all and reading every day!! :D
Just not getting chance to post as often as I would like. I really am loving everyone's participation and so pleased we have created a great inclusive community. :)

Hi, i heard the radio 1 report whilst driving home from work at 6 pm. Like you i was appauled at their total lack of knowledge on the description of type 1 and 2! you would think that if they are doing a big thing on the increase of type 2 they would at least get their facts right! Been on the tv news too, but they just went on about obesity and incidence of type two, not as bad as radio report. Honestly so annoying:mad:

Maybe for you Lizzie - but certainly not for me and a lot of others. It's like most things with diabetes - everything put under one blanket and what's right for one is not for another. What I objected to in the report was it was making the assumption that all people with Type 1 diabetes had it because they had inherited it - and this just isn't so.

Ditto admin! thats why i was annoyed also. I know of no one in my immediate and extended family who has type 1 or type 2 diabetes for that matter. My brother, parents (THEIR SIBLINGS 9 ON MOTHERS SIDE, 8 ON FATHERS), cousins etc, no one has diabetes to my knowledge, we are talking a lot of people. the report clearly said, type one IS INHERITED.:(

Back