Inaccurate glucose reading on Freestyle libre 2 app

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t have a finger prick machine
Are you in the UK? If so, as a Type 1 diabetic you should be supplied with a means of testing blood glucose via a finger prick, so that you can double check hypos and hypo recovery as well as double check high levels before calculating a correction, plus you need to carry one if you drive a car to comply with DVLA rules. If you are not in the UK then things may bwell be different but few of us would be comfortable using Libre as our sole means of tracking our levels without any back up/double checking facility. I probably only finger prick test 2 or 3 times during the life of each sensor, but those tests give me important information and in effect are more reliable than Libre, but if I had to choose one or the other I would choose Libre, even though a finger prick is slightly more reliable, (edited to add.... because Libre gives me so much more data, even when it isn't 100% reliable)

Last edited:
I believe there is a technical fault on the FreeStyle Libre 2 app it’s not giving me the right glucose readings I had my insulins I think the app is a bit faulty I have tried restarting my IPhone but nothing seems to be working
I have also found it giving false readings when I have finger pricked to double check

I have also found it giving false readings when I have finger pricked to double check
What do you mean by false readings?
When did you compare them? Were your levels stable at the time.
There are circumstances where Libre will be considerable different to Blood Glucose levels, particularly 15 mins after you have treated a hypo but also when levels are high (mid teens) or when levels are changing fast. I usually wait until my levels are steady in the 5s or 6s for at least half an hour, if I am going to do a check to assess how close a sensor is reading to my finger prick BG, because the Libre will be nearest to BG at these levels.
It is really important to understand how Libre works and it's limitations in order to get the best from it and sadly these limitations are not well publicized by Abbott, although they are frequently documented here on the forum.

I wonder @helli if we should create a sticky thread in the "pumps and technology" section so that we can refer people to it rather than have to keep typing it out to explain, as so many people come to the forum complaining about Libre because they are unaware of those limitations and foibles of the system.

I should say that I accept Libre doesn't work well for everyone, as it doesn't seem to suit some people's body chemistry but many of the issues people have are related to those limitations and unrealistic expectations of it.

What do you mean by false readings?
When did you compare them? Were your levels stable at the time.
There are circumstances where Libre will be considerable different to Blood Glucose levels, particularly 15 mins after you have treated a hypo but also when levels are high (mid teens) or when levels are changing fast. I usually wait until my levels are steady in the 5s or 6s for at least half an hour, if I am going to do a check to assess how close a sensor is reading to my finger prick BG, because the Libre will be nearest to BG at these levels.
It is really important to understand how Libre works and it's limitations in order to get the best from it and sadly these limitations are not well publicized by Abbott, although they are frequently documented here on the forum.

I wonder @helli if we should create a sticky thread in the "pumps and technology" section so that we can refer people to it rather than have to keep typing it out to explain, as so many people come to the forum complaining about Libre because they are unaware of those limitations and foibles of the system.

I should say that I accept Libre doesn't work well for everyone, as it doesn't seem to suit some people's body chemistry but many of the issues people have are related to those limitations and unrealistic expectations of it.
Barbara, @rebrascora, some of the work for a sticky thread on the limitations of CGM was done c.March 2022. Started by @helli the previous Dec and mildly tweaked by me in March.
Attached:

Why does it take longs for the Abbotts team to respond to my emails or feedback form

Yes I’m having issues with my FreeStyle Libre app it’s giving me outdated readings and in the manual one my glucose readings are a bit less

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back