In the Garden

I’m very excited. Our aubergine plant, which we started in a propagater from seed in January, has a flower and I think maybe another two may be on the way. Not sure if it’ll get any fruit but I’ve got all my ( not green) fingers and toes crossed.
The flower is not much special but I hope you get aubergines . Good luck

Lovel understatement there - hardly an ideal candidate to add to a herbaceous border!
I was so expecting a great exotic flower. Almost thought a weed. Oh your flowers are different guess a different variety.
1723373879922.jpeg

Last edited:
At last we’ve got carrots! Fourth time of trying this year. Dwarf ( am I still allowed to say that?) French beans have started producing too. King Edwards a bit small but edible. Hoping the next lot will be bigger. Swedes doing well. Of course the ever reliable courgette does what it does best, over producing! This year’s veg has been a long time coming.

Attachments

• IMG_5860.jpeg
    IMG_5860.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 4
At last we’ve got carrots! Fourth time of trying this year. Dwarf ( am I still allowed to say that?) French beans have started producing too. King Edwards a bit small but edible. Hoping the next lot will be bigger. Swedes doing well. Of course the ever reliable courgette does what it does best, over producing! This year’s veg has been a long time coming.
Well done! I have yet to get any carrots to grow for me. My beans and courgettes this year were all eaten by snails and slugs. I lifted more than a hundred snails daily., I gave up and did not buy any plants. Our potatoes were good. We did get bits and pieces Raspberries are a great harvest this year as were the early mange tout. our straws were a bit hit and-miss some were eaten some we picked. No apples. Let's hope where I move to is better. It's not all a learning curve sometimes its weather some years are good some bad. What we do grow we Love. oh and Tomatoes are later but good too.

I had been away for a week so a mega crop of French beans, 2 massive cucumbers, 6 very ripe figs, tomatoes, blackberries, an aubergine big enough and of course the inevitable courgettes. There is still rhubarb. We don't seem to have been troubled by slugs.

I had been away for a week so a mega crop of French beans, 2 massive cucumbers, 6 very ripe figs, tomatoes, blackberries, an aubergine big enough and of course the inevitable courgettes. There is still rhubarb. We don't seem to have been troubled by slugs.
Don't get me wrong we have enough but I just stopped when we had all the slugs eat the seedlings it was soul-destroying. Pleased you do not have the slugs we had I was getting over a hundred a day and that is not an exaggeration.

Don't get me wrong we have enough but I just stopped when we had all the slugs eat the seedlings it was soul-destroying. Pleased you do not have the slugs we had I was getting over a hundred a day and that is not an exaggeration.
They probably all drowned as our allotment was flooded in the spring so we were really late in getting things in the ground.
We just have badgers to contend with. They ate all my carrots but hoping for better luck than last year with the sweetcorn.

At last our sweet peppers and chillis are turning red. Never thought it was going to happen. And this blooming aubergine is taking its time! Mind you Mr Eggy has just bought two in Tesco ( 95p each but I’ve so many courgettes I need to turn at least some into ratatouille ) that aren’t much bigger. Even the professional growers must be struggling! One more peaking through and two more flowers, but the nights are getting much cooler so not holding my breathe. Not sure we’ll grow them next year. They’re hard work for little ( none at the moment) reward.

Attachments

• IMG_5972.jpeg
    IMG_5972.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5975.jpeg
    IMG_5975.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5976.jpeg
    IMG_5976.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 3
Back