In need of help 70 hypos a week

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 12 year old daughter was diagnosed with T1 12 weeks ago.
Relentless nightime hypos and desperate for some help (or hope).

She’s no longer taking a basal insulin to try to stop these hypos and fast insulin is a really low ratio (1:30)

It’s 3am and the hypos began at 7pm and still not getting reading above 4 for any length of time. This is the pattern every night.

We’re doing what we’ve been advised by our diabetic team (hypo treatment, wait 15 mins then long carb etc) but she rarely stays up beyond 4 and now 12 weeks of this is exhausting.

Is there any help out there as this is exhausting?
Hi,

Just a few things:

Why was/is your daughter on insulin?
What levels of physical activity is she doing?

On treating hypos, the recommendation to treat, wait 15mins and eat some carbs only works when the hypo is a temporary hypo. If there is far too much insulin (how ever little that is), then I find treat, wait 15mins and treat again is more effective. Repeat as necessary.

On possible compression lows (pressing or laying on a glucose sensor attached to the arm). It's good to place the sensor when applying, slightly inwards towards the body. This prevents laying directly on the underside of the arm (it's more tucked in).

On treating hypos, the recommendation to treat, wait 15mins and eat some carbs only works when the hypo is a temporary hypo. If there is far too much insulin (how ever little that is), then I find treat, wait 15mins and treat again is more effective. Repeat as necessary.
Yes, hypos that don't end I would ignore those normal treatment rules and have more than needed. She should rise after treatment, so if she isn't I would get more fast acting in and some decent carbs.

Yesterday I was at 5 but had been dropping all afternoon, so I have a jam wagon wheel 26gs and a packet of raisins 14g carbs and I only went upto 7 so I would have crashed, if I'd done normal treatment.

Who are the “they” in your sentence? If it’s the GP/diabetes ‘expert’ nurse, it could because they’re not aware of the half unit pens and their benefits. The diabetes ‘expert’ at my surgery told me they didn’t make a half unit pen for my insulin 🙄 Then when I insisted they did, she couldn’t find it on the list and I had to find the code myself and give it to her.
My DSN, she says the same as yours, I will have to find the information/code for her I think and try again.

My DSN, she says the same as yours, I will have to find the information/code for her I think and try again.

My DSN is fabulous. The surgery diabetes ‘expert’ nurse not so much so…..

Just for balance, I have a brilliant DN (Diabetes trained Nurse) at the GP surgery who is pretty knowledgeable but also really interested to learn more about Type 1 and will go out of her way to help me with something if she can. I had been trying for 4 years to get blood ketone strips prescribed by the clinic and failed but she just wrote me a prescription and added it to my repeat list. I have also had referrals from her for the dietician and podiatry in the past.
I don't think I have a nominated DSN at the clinic. My appointments are with the consultant and these days just by telephone which is fine by me. My appointments with the DN are always very positive and she always encourages me to contact the clinic if I have a problem, so she isn't trying to tread on toes or advise me beyond her knowledge or training or anything but is very much there to support me where she can.

Yes, hypos that don't end I would ignore those normal treatment rules and have more than needed. She should rise after treatment, so if she isn't I would get more fast acting in and some decent carbs.

Yesterday I was at 5 but had been dropping all afternoon, so I have a jam wagon wheel 26gs and a packet of raisins 14g carbs and I only went upto 7 so I would have crashed, if I'd done normal treatment.
This is the difficulty (and probably why people come to this forum) with newly diagnosed, they have to rely on "guidance (standard answers)" from the hospital and Dsn's. It's not until you get to the point of self management (your own experience) that it becomes more manageable.

That’s a marmite sandwich short of being a blinding retro pack lunch
Do you ever suspend basal when going low or just treat it?

That’s a marmite sandwich short of being a blinding retro pack lunch
Do you ever suspend basal when going low or just treat it?
Yes, actually if I am about 4.8 or lower I will suspend. I hardly have hypos now I can use alarms at that point and stop the insulin and treat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back