ID bracelet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tersane

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
We all should have an ID bracelet or pendant stating that we are diabetics in case a medical emergency arises. Would it not be a better idea to have individual QR codes on them, giving full medication information, such as medication required supplementary to insulin? The more information that a Medic can get, the quicker your mishap can be dealt with correctly and effectively.

We all should have an ID bracelet or pendant stating that we are diabetics in case a medical emergency arises. Would it not be a better idea to have individual QR codes on them, giving full medication information, such as medication required supplementary to insulin? The more information that a Medic can get, the quicker your mishap can be dealt with correctly and effectively.
That information is in the medical Id on my phone anyway and in my medical records.

I would not be willing to do this
- I would not trust that my person data cannot be hacked it someone unsavoury came across this ID
- I am not convinced a paramedic would trust what is on the ID
- if a medic cannot see my CGM and insulin pump, I am not convinced they would see the bracelet.

I have an ICE (In case of Emergency) contact on my phone who has all the information required.
One phone number (without a name) on my lock screen is much more secure and, I understand, ICE is recognised by paramedics.

I have a MedicAlert bracelet and they hold medical info, diabetes and non-diabetes related, that could be needed in an emergency. They also hold contact numbers of family, GP, hospital, consultant, etc.

If I had to have anything like that, it would have to be in the form of jewellery I liked and would be happy to wear 365/365 24/24. Hence since silver sends my skin black it'll be gold. Can't be a bracelet, as I already have a chain one I wear all the time and my watch on the other wrist. Also got a lovely gold bangle that I haven't worn for ages - must try to remember to! and not enough fingers for the different rings I wouldn't wear the same necklace every single day since I don't wear the same clothes every day! - Jewellery is worn to embellish one's appearance and even if it also indicates eg engagement and/or marriage, you'd never spend money on something you didn't like enough to wear constantly, now would you!

Of course I've only had Type 1 diabetes for the 50+ years so far and needed a paramedic the once when I couldn't communicate with anyone and he discovered pdq why, ie my BG that low his meter wouldn't give him any reading so instantly set up the glucose drip he'd already got in his bag of tricks and carted off to A&E, by which time I could communicate anyway and after nearly an hour sitting on a chair alone in a corridor till husband got there after which I tested my own BG - now in the teens, so husband got a nurse, asked her to remove said drip (else he was going to anyway) and I discharged myself. Never saw a doctor - major accident on motorway, all available staff dealing with that and they'd evidently decided without bothering to even look at me that I wasn't urgent. Who knows - cos I certainly don't!

Happy to continue to take my chances so far. (just in case there was any doubt about that!)

I have a little bracelet with the medical sign and T1 diabetes on it. Like @helli i wouldn't be happy about a QR code. I have the meds information and emergency contact numbers on my phone.

Have little ticker tape message on phone home screen that says type 1 with wife's mobile number in case of emergency, guess is if paramedic looked hard enough would find glucose tabs in pocket & insulin pump attached, so feel well coveted without identification tag.

I debated for ages about whether to get one or not and read lots of people’s views on the pros and cons Both on here and various other websites. In the end I got a braided leather one with polished steel / magnetic fastening on which there is the medical sign and engraving of : T1D, on insulin (which seems a bit pointless now to me as by definition T1D means I would be on insulin!) and an ICE number. I got it just in case I get a hypo whilst out on my own and become unwell and can’t communicate, or worse, unconscious.

In my research, one thing I read suggested a bracelet as this is where a paramedic would check for a pulse, hence they would see the bracelet straight off.

Not convinced about the merits of a QR code or a link to a service that holds a more detailed medical history as I wouldn’t think a paramedic would have time to scan and access it, surely they would treat the person as they find them and do their own tests? If taken to a hospital then I would hope they could access your details online there if needed, or hopefully you could communicate by then?

I did have a bracelet at first, but not really a bracelet person...i did think of a wrist tattoo but then apparently paramedics don't take pulse there..i have dexcom widget which shows on locket phone and try not to go hypo - i live alone so the danger isn't really when i am in public

My OH bought me one for my first birthday after being diagnosed and it sounds very similar to yours @freesia - like @trophywench says, I had to find one that I actually liked enough to wear literally all the time!

Those who say they have an emergency contact on their Lock Screen - sorry for being a dinosaur but how do you get it to stay there? Is it part of your background? @helli @nonethewiser

My OH bought me one for my first birthday after being diagnosed and it sounds very similar to yours @freesia - like @trophywench says, I had to find one that I actually liked enough to wear literally all the time!

Those who say they have an emergency contact on their Lock Screen - sorry for being a dinosaur but how do you get it to stay there? Is it part of your background? @helli @nonethewiser
I have an android phone. I went to Settings then found Safety and Emergency and inputted info on there. The info can be accessed without needing to open the phone and you can add an emergency contact.

As @freesia says above, on my Samsung phone it comes under Emergency SOS.

Don’t agree with such free access to info but I have a bracelet staying I am diabetic on insulin as I have regular blackouts due to other issues, feel the bracelet or necklace pendants are a great idea as at least responders can check bloods straight away plus I have medical I’d on my phone.

All I want a first aider / paramedic to know really is that I’m T1. Once that is known the insulin pump and my baseline requirements will become obvious.

Like others I have a ‘T1 Diabetes’ wrist band, and emergency ICE contact stuff on my phone.

Like others I have a ‘T1 Diabetes’ wrist band, and emergency ICE contact stuff on my phone.
I’ve just got “insulin dependant diabetes” on my wristband, if t1 then yes they should know that means insulin but if t2 (or diagnosed t2 with a questionmark on whether it’s correct) then I felt like insulin dependent was a clearer message and putting t2 on mine would just confuse things.

I’ve just got “insulin dependant diabetes” on my wristband, if t1 then yes they should know that means insulin but if t2 (or diagnosed t2 with a questionmark on whether it’s correct) then I felt like insulin dependent was a clearer message and putting t2 on mine would just confuse things.

Good option Lucy!

Sounds similar to mine then, found on eBay of all places.

I checked with paramedics, and was told that if they find someone unconscious, they would always check BG. If I passed out due to hypo then that will be sorted with a drip.

I had not thought about if I had passed out for other reasons and was not hypo. I have not found any that are a piece of jewellery that I would want to wear

I found my bracelet on Etsy. Its pretty, not expensive and free delivery. I've worn it every day since i got it and often have comments on it.

I am not a fan of tattoos, but had half thought that I might consider getting 'T1 Diabetic' or something artistic which clearly indicates T1 tattooed on my wrist. But maybe a T1 Diabetic wrist band will suffice 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back