Ice Cream

Mark72

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Does anyone have any recipes for ice cream that they use and like? I've tried one so far with unsweetened almond milk, sweetener, vanilla and vanilla extract and it worked out to be disgusting - nice before freezing but tasted of nothing after freezing. It was also very powdery which I think means it needed mixing/churning a bit more.

I don't plan on regularly having artificially sweetened foods, I'm not convinced many of the chemicals used are particularly good for us but something like this as an occasional treat perhaps if I can make it work!

I would rather have a very, very occasional nice quality ice cream made with real dairy produce and sugar and have a good walk afterwards to burn most of it off than something sub standard made with chemicals and ultra processed foodstuffs, more frequently. I am not a fan of artificial sweeteners or plant based milks and having bought a significant number of different types of sweeteners and tried them, I have settled on not having them as they are either not sweet or have an horrid aftertaste. I maybe have 4 or 5 ice creams a year, I try to stick to having it in a tub rather than with a cone to cut carbs and stick to one scoop.

I just roughly crushed strawberries and mixed them into yogurt (half and half by weight) and froze it. As a pre-diabetic I used a small amount of maple syrup to sweeten it - it worked out 7.5 carbs per 100g.

I used lolly moulds to freeze it, but next time I will portion it into tubs, and move a tub to the fridge about 30 mins before I want to eat it (it needs to soften!)
20240629_182803 edit.jpg

Last edited:

Hannah Evans: the easiest no-churn ice cream​

The Times Magazine 20 July 2024

I will never own an ice-cream maker (my kitchen counter space is far too precious), so I was very pleased when I came across a no-churn recipe from Skye McAlpine that produces silky, rich results. I use it as the foundation for any homemade ice cream, adding ingredients such as nuts, chocolate, pistachio cream or salted pretzels.

Ingredients​

• 600ml double cream
• 397g tin condensed milk [use evaporated milk instead]
• 80ml good quality runny honey [try olive oil, cocoa, toasted almonds, peanut butter, berries, etc. instead]
• 100g dark chocolate [OK]
• Handful of salted pretzels, roughly broken [not necessary]

Method​

1. Whisk the cream until stiff peaks begin to form (take care not to overwhip as you want the texture to be smooth). Gently fold the condensed milk into the cream, then drizzle in the honey and fold all the ingredients evenly together. Toss in the chopped chocolate and pretzels and gently stir through.

2. Pour the mixture into a freezer-safe container. Cover the mixture with a sheet of greaseproof paper before putting on the lid. Freeze for 6-8 hours or overnight.

NOTE it's a method we use (with evaporated milk and without the honey) - see comments in [ ] brackets.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any recipes for ice cream that they use and like? I've tried one so far with unsweetened almond milk, sweetener, vanilla and vanilla extract and it worked out to be disgusting - nice before freezing but tasted of nothing after freezing. It was also very powdery which I think means it needed mixing/churning a bit more.

I don't plan on regularly having artificially sweetened foods, I'm not convinced many of the chemicals used are particularly good for us but something like this as an occasional treat perhaps if I can make it work!
I treat myself to this occasionally, very lush

I will never own an ice-cream maker (my kitchen counter space is far too precious), so I was very pleased when I came across a no-churn recipe from Skye McAlpine that produces silky, rich results. I use it as the foundation for any homemade ice cream, adding ingredients such as nuts, chocolate, pistachio cream or salted pretzels.

Ingredients​

• 600ml double cream
• 397g tin condensed milk
• 80ml good quality runny honey
• 100g dark chocolate
• Handful of salted pretzels, roughly broken

Method​

1. Whisk the cream until stiff peaks begin to form (take care not to overwhip as you want the texture to be smooth). Gently fold the condensed milk into the cream, then drizzle in the honey and fold all the ingredients evenly together. Toss in the chopped chocolate and pretzels and gently stir through.

2. Pour the mixture into a freezer-safe container. Cover the mixture with a sheet of greaseproof paper before putting on the lid. Freeze for 6-8 hours or overnight.

NOTE it's a method we use (without the honey)
But I think condensed milk is full of sugar

Personally I would rather have (every so often of course)a Walls Magnum White Chocolate ice cream lolly....and go for a nice long walk the next day.

Last edited:
I just roughly crushed strawberries and mixed them into yogurt (half and half by weight) and froze it. As a pre-diabetic I used a small amount of maple syrup to sweeten it - it worked out 7.5 carbs per 100g.

I used lolly moulds to freeze it, but next time I will portion it into tubs, and move a tub to the fridge about 30 mins before I want to eat it (it needs to soften!)
View attachment 31028
I tried this too. Homemade yoghurt made with whole milk. No added sugar plus fresh mashed strawberries. Tasted lovely but as I don't have an ice cream maker it was a bit grainy. I didn't beat it enough to make the ice crystals really small. Also needs a good 20 minutes in the fridge to soften. I will try it again.

But I think condensed milk is full of sugar
They had used to apparently also make unsweetened condensed milk which used to appear in some American recipes when I was growing up - but mom never found any on sale in Brum. (even in Barrows food hall where she had to go to get the citron peel for the Xmas puds and mincemeat and we all loved going in there because of the wonderful smell of the ground coffee in there - and that was by no means common in the 1950s!)

I know it's not helpful, but I'm currently in Portugal and they have sugar free ice cream over here. So far I've had the chocolate one and starting the vanilla one today , tastes lovely too.

They had used to apparently also make unsweetened condensed milk which used to appear in some American recipes when I was growing up - but mom never found any on sale in Brum. (even in Barrows food hall where she had to go to get the citron peel for the Xmas puds and mincemeat and we all loved going in there because of the wonderful smell of the ground coffee in there - and that was by no means common in the 1950s!)

You missed out, shame !!!

Quote: Evaporated milk is known in some countries as unsweetened condensed milk. Similarly to condensed milk, evaporated milk is made by heating milk until about 60% of its water has evaporated, but without adding any sugar. Then, it’s homogenised, packaged, and sterilised. The final product is dense, creamy, highly concentrated milk that can be stored in cans for several months. The high temperature during processing adds a caramelised taste and darker colour than regular milk. It’s commonly used in baking, coffee, and tea. Evaporated milk can be found as fat-free, low-fat, or full-fat.

A long time ago I used to make a very easy mousse by blending whipped evap with double strength jelly. However, evap is a totally different texture to condensed milk, and I doubt if it would substitute well in recipes with condensed milk.

Evap with bottled or tinned fruit was a frequent easy choice for pudding in our household in the 50s/60s. Fresh cream was very rare,

True ice cream is an egg custard which has been chilled and whipped.
I make custard from eggs and cream and add flavouring, not lots of fruit. - I used cooked peas and salt and it tastes like peanuts (I think the clue is in the name).
My grandmother's ice cream was famous. It was recommended for children who did not thrive, by the local HCPs. It was sold as 'forget me not' and used the cream from a local prize winning herd of Jersey cows, and eggs from their own hens.

I wouldn't dream of calling evaporated milk 'condensed' - both purveyed contained in tins, but made by entirely different companies. Condensed - Fussells. Evap - Libby or Carnation. In the 1950s when I grew up ordinary families didn't have refrigerators (unless they were lucky enough to live in a council pre fab) or their dads earned more than mine so Sunday tea was cooked meat and salad, followed by tinned fruit and evaporated milk (Or indeed 'Operated milk' as my 3-4 year old nephew called it!)

I would rather have a very, very occasional nice quality ice cream made with real dairy produce and sugar and have a good walk afterwards to burn most of it off than something sub standard made with chemicals and ultra processed foodstuffs, more frequently. I am not a fan of artificial sweeteners or plant based milks and having bought a significant number of different types of sweeteners and tried them, I have settled on not having them as they are either not sweet or have an horrid aftertaste. I maybe have 4 or 5 ice creams a year, I try to stick to having it in a tub rather than with a cone to cut carbs and stick to one scoop.
I agree: making ice cream from scratch has always seemed too much faff to me, given how easy and cheap it is nowadays to buy really nice ice cream 🙂

I agree: making ice cream from scratch has always seemed too much faff to me, given how easy and cheap it is nowadays to buy really nice ice cream 🙂
The trouble is that the ice cream on offer is so sweet - tossing in a shovel full of sugar increases the amount and decreases the cost to produce.
Last time I went into Tesco they were babbling on (over the PA system) about how super sweet their tomatoes are - the developers and breeders are working hard to increase the sugar content, and to me they taste vile. I have to ask for green salad, or that tomatoes not be included, if I eat out of the house.

Here's something easy, copied from my earlier post. Just use evaporated mik instead of condensed, omit the honey and the pretzels and add your own flavourings. We put the mixture into single portion pots and freeze. Virgin olive oil ice cream is great, a tip from Nikki Segnit's Flavour Thesaurus.

• 600ml double cream
• 397g tin condensed milk [use evaporated milk instead]
• 80ml good quality runny honey [try olive oil, cocoa, toasted almonds, peanut butter, berries, etc. instead]
• 100g dark chocolate [OK]
• Handful of salted pretzels, roughly broken [not necessary]

NOTE it's a method we use (with evaporated milk and without the honey) - see my comments in [ ] brackets.

Re 'plant breeders making things sweeter'- i'm not convinced. I have an allotment. I have a laxton superb...a victorian apple, unchanged for over a century. It's as sweet as modern apples, as are cox's. Similar with heritage tomatoes compared to shop bought ones.
To be honest, modern plant breeding is more about getting stuff to ripen at the same time, look good, and have a long shelf life. Taste, inc sweetness, comes down the list.
Claims about sweetness are more for advertising in my opinion.
End of day, if you are looking to reduce empty carbs, its not fruit or veg you need to concentrate on

Back