I work nights in a supermarket but they want full timers to be on a flexible rota but if course I'm type 1 diabetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst you don't need a regular schedule as a t1, i can see that if you have your diabestes organised under a regular schedule it can be worrying to have that changed. I know i felt the same at fuirst with aspects of my diabetes management.
But you may find its actually easier done than you think...and it may be a useful learning opportunity? Not so much for work, but for yourself...as not being able to be flexible FOR YOU will limit you in other areas of your life eg holidays etc

Hello,

I need some advice which would be very grateful. I work in the supermarket chain 'Waitrose' and I found out they want full timers to be flexible around their hours.

I work on nights and my concern is this:
I work Wednesday to Saturday on the night shift. It's a fixed rota with no rotation. We have to go on their computer website at work to fill out what hours we can do.

Where I work on nights Wednesday to Saturday obviously I have Sunday, Monday and Tuesday off which is very convenient for me anyway because I need that rest period. I have been Type 1 diabetic for nearly 1 year now so the situation is full timers are being asked to be flexible including nights. My main concern is I work Wed to Sat but let's say for example they said in 4 weeks time we need you in Monday to Thursday, thats just not enough rest time for myself whatsoever so that's the idea what they want but in the next several weeks they are going to discuss what they are going to do. Because I'm on a strict routine with my body, the days off, for me to change my night on a different week, I'm concerned it might screw up my blood sugars and my body will become too fatigued because if I was to agree on those terms which I haven't yet anyway because discussions are yet to be put in place, I wouldn't have enough time for my body to recover for the rest period.

I hope this information is useful of what I'm saying. Any advice please do get in contact.
Hello, would I be correct in thinking these four shifts are (in the region of) 10 hours long?
That when you finish on Sunday morning after working unsociable hours during the week/weekend, you would be catching up on sleep in the day as you would during the week?
Purely supposition on my part. It doesn’t sound to me like you get 3 full days off after a surmised 39/40 contracted week? (I’d call it 2.)

I’d personally be looking at the contractual T&Cs of my employment before any agreement on a less personally favourable arrangement.

I have created a thread for Gary's posts please use that to keep this thread on topic thanks.

Hi. I wonder what you mean by a strict routine? That in itself may not be important for a T1 but managing your BS is. That requires frequent testing and learning how much insulin to inject depending on carb intake etc. A CGM such as the Freestyle Libre 2 may help a lot. You can be flexible to some extent but only if you track your BS level and inject as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back