I work nights in a supermarket but they want full timers to be on a flexible rota but if course I'm type 1 diabetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanGoku28

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello,

I need some advice which would be very grateful. I work in the supermarket chain 'Waitrose' and I found out they want full timers to be flexible around their hours.

I work on nights and my concern is this:
I work Wednesday to Saturday on the night shift. It's a fixed rota with no rotation. We have to go on their computer website at work to fill out what hours we can do.

Where I work on nights Wednesday to Saturday obviously I have Sunday, Monday and Tuesday off which is very convenient for me anyway because I need that rest period. I have been Type 1 diabetic for nearly 1 year now so the situation is full timers are being asked to be flexible including nights. My main concern is I work Wed to Sat but let's say for example they said in 4 weeks time we need you in Monday to Thursday, thats just not enough rest time for myself whatsoever so that's the idea what they want but in the next several weeks they are going to discuss what they are going to do. Because I'm on a strict routine with my body, the days off, for me to change my night on a different week, I'm concerned it might screw up my blood sugars and my body will become too fatigued because if I was to agree on those terms which I haven't yet anyway because discussions are yet to be put in place, I wouldn't have enough time for my body to recover for the rest period.

I hope this information is useful of what I'm saying. Any advice please do get in contact.

Do you have other health issues that affect you? T1 diabetes shouldn’t mean that you need so many days rest between shifts.

Hello,

I need some advice which would be very grateful. I work in the supermarket chain 'Waitrose' and I found out they want full timers to be flexible around their hours.

I work Wednesday to Saturday on the night shift. It's a fixed rota with no rotation. We have to go on their computer website at work to fill out what hours we can do.

Where I work on nights Wednesday to Saturday obviously I have Sunday, Monday and Tuesday off which is very convenient for me anyway because I need that rest period. I have been Type 1 diabetic for nearly 1 year now so the situation is full timers are being asked to be flexible including nights. My main concern is I work Wed to Sat but let's say for example they said in 4 weeks time we need you in Monday to Thursday, thats just not enough rest time for myself whatsoever so that's the idea what they want but in the next several weeks they are going to discuss what they are going to do. Because I'm on a strict routine with my body, the days off, for me to change my night on a different week, I'm concerned it might screw up my blood sugars and my body will become too fatigued because if I was to agree on those terms which I haven't yet anyway because discussions are yet to be put in place, I wouldn't have enough time for my body to recover for the rest period.

I hope this information is useful of what I'm saying. Any advice please do get in contact.
My concern for doing night shifts (if, as you are a type 1 diabetic) is the effect it may have on insulin ratios. I know from experience, doses/ratios are not dependant entirely on the time of day, but on the time of waking, plus; there are issues with the impact on circadian rhythm.

How have you found/dealt with changing waking times and insulin? Typically for bolus/meals mine is say 3:1 (e.g 3units of insulin to 10g carb) upon waking, 2:1 at lunch (4 - 7 hrs later) and 1:1 7 hours or later onwards. Do you need to use same or different ratios depending on whether on a shift or not? Complicated by the first night shift where you would effectiely be still awake from the same day.

I'm interested in how this works.

Do you have other health issues that affect you? T1 diabetes shouldn’t mean that you need so many days rest between shifts.
I don't to be honest but let's just say my last night shift is Saturday which means I go home Sunday morning. Like I said I have Sunday, Monday and Tuesday off. It might be something out of nothing but I want my manager and myself to come with some agreement. I don't really want to change shifts as long if its not all the time if you know what I mean. It might not be as bad but I'm just hoping I get listened to.

My concern for doing night shifts (if, as you are a type 1 diabetic) is the effect it may have on insulin ratios. I know from experience, doses/ratios are not dependant entirely on the time of day, but on the time of waking, plus; there are issues with the impact on circadian rhythm.

How have you found/dealt with changing waking times and insulin? Typically for bolus/meals mine is say 3:1 (e.g 3units of insulin to 10g carb) upon waking, 2:1 at lunch (4 - 7 hrs later) and 1:1 7 hours or later onwards. Do you need to use same or different ratios depending on whether on a shift or not? Complicated by the first night shift where you would effectiely be still awake from the same day.

I'm interested in how this works.
Well when I have lunch for my insulin on nights I have to use say for example a ready meal pasta. Instead of 7 units of insulin I use 6 instead because I have had hypos which are controlled anyway.

Shouldn't be a problem, had type 1 for 41 years & worked all sorts of shift patterns in that time, when my kids were little was sometimes working 7 days a week, that was without help of tech we have now.

Really having type 1, especially if young & fit, it shouldn't interfere with any of your work or social life @DanGoku28

Shouldn't be a problem, had type 1 for 41 years & worked all sorts of shift patterns in that time, when my kids were little was sometimes working 7 days a week, that was without help of tech we have now.

Really having type 1, especially if young & fit, it shouldn't interfere with any of your work or social life @DanGoku28
Yeah thats absolutely fine I mean being newly diabetic from last year I just thought I'd ask because the company are changing their structure around and my discussion with my manager is yet to be discussed in the coming weeks because I'm one of these people where I usually agree on something and when I do, it ends up being a mistake.
I'll probably work something out to be honest because at the end of the day I have to work so I'll just go from their.

Yeah thats absolutely fine I mean being newly diabetic from last year I just thought I'd ask because the company are changing their structure around and my discussion with my manager is yet to be discussed in the coming weeks because I'm one of these people where I usually agree on something and when I do, it ends up being a mistake.
I'll probably work something out to be honest because at the end of the day I have to work so I'll just go from their.

Sounds like good idea discussing things with manager, keep thread updated on how things go.

For what it's worth, T1 diabetes is classed as a disability from a work point of view. Employers are required to make "reasonable adjustments" to suit e.g. giving you a clean and sanitary place to test. Whether that includes shift patterns I do not know. This page gives good information from JDRF on UK laws in that regard. Otherwise ring Diabetes UK's helpline for up to date advice on

0345 123 2399​

I don't to be honest but let's just say my last night shift is Saturday which means I go home Sunday morning. Like I said I have Sunday, Monday and Tuesday off. It might be something out of nothing but I want my manager and myself to come with some agreement. I don't really want to change shifts as long if its not all the time if you know what I mean. It might not be as bad but I'm just hoping I get listened to.
3 days off sounds plenty enough, more than most people get. There’s no reason diabetes means you need more time off between shifts.

Welcome to the forum @DanGoku28

I can understand why these possible changes to your shift patterns might feel unsettling, especially so early in your diabetes career, and with you having worked out a sort of viable system!

There are some helpful links about employment and your rights under the law here:

Presumably they aren’t wanting you to work unlimited hours? So is it just the loss of routine that concerns you?

3 days off sounds plenty enough, more than most people get. There’s no reason diabetes means you need more time off between shifts.
I was only saying this because my workplace is planning to do a full flexible rota. I was only just be curious.

Hello,

It's essential to prioritize your health and well-being, especially given your medical condition. Here's some advice on how to approach this situation:

1. Medical Documentation: Before discussing anything with your employer, consider visiting your doctor or endocrinologist. Explain the situation and your concerns about the potential impact on your health. If they agree that such a change in your schedule could be detrimental, they might provide you with a medical note or documentation to support your case.
  2. Open Communication: Approach your manager or HR department with your concerns. It's essential to be transparent about your medical condition and how a change in your schedule might affect your health. Share the medical documentation if you have it.
  3. Propose Alternatives: If possible, come up with alternative solutions that might work for both you and the company. For example, if they need flexibility, maybe there's a way you can adjust within the days you currently work or offer to take on additional responsibilities during your current shifts.
  4. Know Your Rights: Familiarize yourself with employment laws in your country or region. In many places, employers are required to make reasonable accommodations for employees with medical conditions. If you're in the UK, the Equality Act 2010 protects employees from discrimination based on disabilities, and Type 1 diabetes can be considered a disability under certain circumstances.
  5. Stay Calm and Professional: It's essential to approach the situation calmly and professionally. Remember, it's in the best interest of the company to have employees who are healthy and can perform their duties effectively. By explaining your situation and the potential risks, you're helping them understand the importance of maintaining your current schedule.
  6. Seek Support: Talk to your colleagues, especially those who might be in a similar situation or have faced similar challenges. They might offer insights or strategies that you haven't considered. Additionally, consider seeking advice from unions or worker's rights organizations if you feel your rights are being infringed upon.
Remember, your health and well-being are paramount. It's essential to advocate for yourself and ensure that your work environment supports your needs.

It's essential to prioritize your health and well-being, especially given your medical condition. Here's some advice on how to approach this situation:

1. Medical Documentation: Before discussing anything with your employer, consider visiting your doctor or endocrinologist. Explain the situation and your concerns about the potential impact on your health. If they agree that such a change in your schedule could be detrimental, they might provide you with a medical note or documentation to support your case.
  2. Open Communication: Approach your manager or HR department with your concerns. It's essential to be transparent about your medical condition and how a change in your schedule might affect your health. Share the medical documentation if you have it.
  3. Propose Alternatives: If possible, come up with alternative solutions that might work for both you and the company. For example, if they need flexibility, maybe there's a way you can adjust within the days you currently work or offer to take on additional responsibilities during your current shifts.
  4. Know Your Rights: Familiarize yourself with employment laws in your country or region. In many places, employers are required to make reasonable accommodations for employees with medical conditions. If you're in the UK, the Equality Act 2010 protects employees from discrimination based on disabilities, and Type 1 diabetes can be considered a disability under certain circumstances.
  5. Stay Calm and Professional: It's essential to approach the situation calmly and professionally. Remember, it's in the best interest of the company to have employees who are healthy and can perform their duties effectively. By explaining your situation and the potential risks, you're helping them understand the importance of maintaining your current schedule.
  6. Seek Support: Talk to your colleagues, especially those who might be in a similar situation or have faced similar challenges. They might offer insights or strategies that you haven't considered. Additionally, consider seeking advice from unions or worker's rights organizations if you feel your rights are being infringed upon.
Remember, your health and well-being are paramount. It's essential to advocate for yourself and ensure that your work environment supports your needs.

This is a template letter you could email to your employer if this helps

[Your Name]
[Your Address]
[City, Postal Code]
[Date]

[Employer's Name or HR Manager's Name]
[Company Name]
[Company Address]
[City, Postal Code]

Dear [Employer's Name or HR Manager's Name],

I hope this letter finds you well. I am writing to discuss the recent changes proposed regarding the flexibility of full-time hours, specifically for those of us working the night shift.

As you may be aware, I have been a dedicated employee with Waitrose for [X years/months], consistently working the night shift from Wednesday to Saturday. This fixed schedule has not only allowed me to serve the company efficiently but has also been crucial in managing my health. Approximately a year ago, I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, a condition that requires a strict routine and consistent management to ensure my well-being.

The proposed changes to our schedules, which might require me to shift my working days with short notice, present a significant concern for my health. Altering my routine abruptly could lead to fluctuations in my blood sugar levels, increased fatigue, and other complications. The rest period I currently have from Sunday to Tuesday is essential for my body to recover and maintain a stable health condition.

I understand the company's need for flexibility and am always willing to contribute to the best of my ability. However, I kindly request that my medical condition and its requirements be taken into consideration when finalizing these changes. I have consulted with my medical practitioner, who shares these concerns and can provide documentation if necessary.

I am open to discussing alternative solutions that might meet the company's needs while ensuring my health is not compromised. I genuinely believe that with open communication and understanding, we can find a solution that benefits both the company and its employees.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my concerns. I am grateful for the opportunity to work with Waitrose and am hopeful that we can find a way forward that ensures the well-being of all involved.

Warm regards,

[Your Name]

Feel free to adjust the letter as per your specific details and requirements.

Approximately a year ago, I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, a condition that requires a strict routine
This part, and several others, aren’t true though. If they’re true for the OP then that must be due to other health issues on top. T1 by itself doesn’t mean you need a strict routine.

You're right. Type 1 diabetes (T1D) management varies from person to person. Some individuals with T1D might manage their condition without needing a strict routine, while others might find a consistent schedule beneficial for their blood sugar control. The advice provided was based on the context given by the user, who expressed concerns about their routine and health.

If you have T1D and are considering changes to your work schedule or any other aspect of your routine, it's essential to consult with your healthcare provider. They can provide guidance tailored to your specific situation and needs.

@gary-in-kent I notice from your profile that you do not have diabetes.
As much as we care for people, it is only when you live with a condition like Type 1 diabetes that you know what it means.
As you say, we are all different but views like "a condition that requires strict routine" is very old fashioned and based on treatment that was no.longer prescribed when I was diagnosed 20 years ago. Whilst some older people with type 1 may have chosen to continue with that treatment, someone diagnosed a year ago will not.

With Type 1, it is very important to manage our condition and be confident to make changes ourselves rather than "consult with you health care provider" every time you want or need or are asked to make a change to your work schedule or any other part of your routine. This is definitely not the case. I have changed my.job multiple times, I have travelled extensively working long hours in different time zones, others have had babies who.completely turn their routines around, I know do paramedics and doctors and lawyers and more with Type 1 and very irregular work schedules. I know students with Type 1 who have no concept of "work schedule" - they work when they need to.

I appreciate your desire to help. But suggest you familiarise yourself with Type 1 management in the 21st century. There have been amazing advancements since I was diagnosed so know that advice is constantly changing to allow people with Type 1 to live very full lives with little restrictions.

@gary-in-kent I notice from your profile that you do not have diabetes.
As much as we care for people, it is only when you live with a condition like Type 1 diabetes that you know what it means.
As you say, we are all different but views like "a condition that requires strict routine" is very old fashioned and based on treatment that was no.longer prescribed when I was diagnosed 20 years ago. Whilst some older people with type 1 may have chosen to continue with that treatment, someone diagnosed a year ago will not.

With Type 1, it is very important to manage our condition and be confident to make changes ourselves rather than "consult with you health care provider" every time you want or need or are asked to make a change to your work schedule or any other part of your routine. This is definitely not the case. I have changed my.job multiple times, I have travelled extensively working long hours in different time zones, others have had babies who.completely turn their routines around, I know do paramedics and doctors and lawyers and more with Type 1 and very irregular work schedules. I know students with Type 1 who have no concept of "work schedule" - they work when they need to.

I appreciate your desire to help. But suggest you familiarise yourself with Type 1 management in the 21st century. There have been amazing advancements since I was diagnosed so know that advice is constantly changing to allow people with Type 1 to live very full lives with little restrictions.
Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective and insights on living with Type 1 diabetes. I genuinely appreciate the depth of your experience and the nuances you've highlighted.

I want to clarify that I do not have diabetes myself. However, I am a caregiver for my wife, who has faced numerous challenges with her diabetes over the years. This has led me to extensively study diabetes, but I recognize that studying and living with the condition are two very different experiences.

Your emphasis on the advancements in Type 1 diabetes management in the 21st century is crucial. It's evident that the landscape of diabetes care has evolved significantly, and it's essential to stay updated with the latest practices and understandings. I acknowledge that the idea of a "strict routine" may not resonate with many who have been managing their Type 1 diabetes with the newer treatments and technologies available today.

Your experiences, along with those of many others who lead dynamic lives while managing Type 1 diabetes, are truly inspiring. It underscores the importance of individualized management and the empowerment of patients to make informed decisions about their care.

Again, thank you for sharing. I will continue to educate myself and strive to be more informed about the current realities of living with Type 1 diabetes in today's world.

Then perhaps it would be helpful for your wife to join this forum @gary-in-kent ? Does she have Type 1 or Type 2? There’s a wealth of knowledge here and personal experience - hundreds if not thousands of years of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back