I witnessed a hypo live on t.v.

Status
Not open for further replies.
(I've added some punctuation & capital letters to make it easier to read)

I did try to answer your questions - although since discovering he has type 2 diabetes, not on insulin, my answer probably isn't too relevant - I admit to having assumed that as he is (a) sportsman and (b) young, he had type 1. Must admit I wonder how he went hypo if he's not on tablets or medication - I can understand hypoglycaemia in someone without diabetes eg running a marathon, or having not eaten for hours, but more difficult to understand during a darts match when competitors can eat & drink while the other is working.
Runsweet really is the most useful resource for people with diabetes in the UK taking part in sport - but it doesn't mention darts, for whatever reason.

ty copepod so kind of you to correct my lack of punctuation.

it has now been confirmed he is type 1

Last edited:
(I've added some punctuation & capital letters to make it easier to read)

I did try to answer your questions - although since discovering he has type 2 diabetes, not on insulin, my answer probably isn't too relevant - I admit to having assumed that as he is (a) sportsman and (b) young, he had type 1. Must admit I wonder how he went hypo if he's not on tablets or medication - I can understand hypoglycaemia in someone without diabetes eg running a marathon, or having not eaten for hours, but more difficult to understand during a darts match when competitors can eat & drink while the other is working.
Runsweet really is the most useful resource for people with diabetes in the UK taking part in sport - but it doesn't mention darts, for whatever reason.

If he is adjusting and managing by diet and exercise then as your BS lowers to what are normal levels your body can react feeling it is being starved of carbohydrates.

As such you get hypo type symptoms, but where your BS is a 6 or 7mmols. So it's not an actual hypo, but the sensation and your body calling for energy.

The solution of feeding this craving everytime isn't I believe the correct solution, as you just up the levels to where you're comfortable instead of adapting to the proper safe levels.

Hi Steff09

Thanks for posting this.

I just love watching darts, have done for the last 30 years. I did watch this match between Barney and Kevin Painter. I did not know he was diabetic, and did wonder why he was sweating so much, so this explains why. Barney has been out of sorts lately with his darts, perhaps he should have a break to get to grips with his condition.

As you will know, the stage they play on is extremly hot with all the lighting equipment etc. This can and will play havoc with his blood sugars. I've been to Blackpool to watch the World Matchplay, and it was like a furness inside the Winter Gardens. Seen some of the recent PDC players, Taylor, Wariner, Manley, Painter and a few others who's names escape me. Back in the 80's, I seen Bristow, Lowe, Wilson, Deller and Whitcombe. I remember watching Bristow and Jocky Wilson play each other and you could feel the tension between them, they both hated each other!

Thanks again

Toby

Takes me back to 'Indoor League' on Yorkshire TV in the '70s with Fred 'I'll sithee' Truman! I think that's where I first saw Bristow and Lowe etc. Trying to remember the name of the big Welshman - help me out! I think the top players are astounding - getting three darts consistently in the treble 20 is an incredible feat of skill.

Hi Steff09
As you will know, the stage they play on is extremly hot with all the lighting equipment etc. This can and will play havoc with his blood sugars. I've been to Blackpool to watch the World Matchplay, and it was like a furness inside the Winter Gardens.

Toby

Completely agree, i once played a singles final on the Lakeside stage (many moons ago) and although i was nervous it was the heat from the lights etc... that was hard to handle, i would think that would be hard for blood levels to deal with (on top of the adrenaline, concentration and being newly diagnosed)

:D

If he's not medicating....how come he had a hypo?

I'm new to this so probably completely wrong, but thought we could only have a hypo if we were using insulin or medication.

Well atm i'm having many hypo's and are type2 diet only!

Strange - I wouldn't know if I was, I get dizzy now and again but I dont take medication or test so probably hyper rather than hypo.

Northerner

Leighton Rees, sadly no longer with us, I think he died a good few years back. Remember another welshman at this time called Alan Evans, a fiery temper on him, he also is sadly gone. Although Bristowe was the big name back then, my all-time favourite player was 'old stone face' John Lowe. A true gent of the sport, still playing at 61, but not in the big tournaments.

Toby

Northerner

Leighton Rees, sadly no longer with us, I think he died a good few years back. Remember another welshman at this time called Alan Evans, a fiery temper on him, he also is sadly gone. Although Bristowe was the big name back then, my all-time favourite player was 'old stone face' John Lowe. A true gent of the sport, still playing at 61, but not in the big tournaments.

Toby

other half has just got his book for xmas(john lowe) he aint put it down, he is getting crafty cockneys new book for his birthday in 2 weeks as well.

I just wanted to ask you guys when you where diagnosed did you need anytime away from work to adjust and if so did it benifit you and if not do you wish you had looking back?? even if you dont work currently surely you cant just continue on you need top adopt a new routine, this guy gave me the impression so what i have diabetes but my career is foremose not my health[/QUOTE]

Hi Steff I took time off uni when i was diagnosed. I found out I had diabetes 3 months after i had moved to a new city for uni so it wasnt gr8 timing for me i moved home and started uni were i left off the yr after. I think it was necessary for me to do this bsco its such a huge adjustment to make and as id only been living their for a few months all my friends were new and i didnt have family around. As far as uni goes i did find it harder to adjust when i went back as every1 else in my new year had had time to get to know each other so that was def a drawback for me. I think it all depends on ur own situation whether or not u need the time off but i definetly did. It also didnt help that i study nutrition and one of my 1st lectures back talked about how high blood sugar levels are and i quote, "toxic" to the body that mite have been a tad too much for me newly diagnosed it was bad enuff a yr later. Sorry cant comment on darts iv never watched it but mite have to tune in to see what the fuss is about :D

cheers ang im always intrested in how each individual copes with there news and how it impacts them and work life/uni life if at all.

well if u have sky sports it is on 2moro lol

I was diagnosed wrongly as T2 during the summer between my 3rd and 4th years of uni, but I was working full time and didn't take any time off. I was back at uni when I was diagnosed as T1 a few weeks later and put on insulin. Fortunately, although displaying some ketones, I wasn't in DKA and was put on insulin during the day and sent home without having to stay in at all. I went straight back to uni and carried on as normal. In hindsight however this maybe wasn't the right thing to do as I took quite some time to get to grips with it all and pretty much ignored it for the first 18months or so, maybe if I'd taken some time out that would have been different.

We were watching too! we love darts in this house and i said to my husband i wonder if barney is diabetic then when he walked off stage for the break i saw him put some glucose tabs in his mouth i knew! Poor thing, he was sweating so badly and looked like he could go any minute.

We have been to the Circus Tavern many times, it doesnt seem the same now its at the Ali Pali.! 🙂 x

We were watching too! we love darts in this house and i said to my husband i wonder if barney is diabetic then when he walked off stage for the break i saw him put some glucose tabs in his mouth i knew! Poor thing, he was sweating so badly and looked like he could go any minute.

We have been to the Circus Tavern many times, it doesnt seem the same now its at the Ali Pali.! 🙂 x

o/h went to ali pally last yr he did nt like it , he played alot better 2night jimmysmums was no sign of the same .

It's all a bit hazy, but i'm pretty sure I went back to school right after diagnosis. It's possible I was diagnosed during a school holiday though, I'll have to ask my mum!

i was diagnoised in the morning....went home and cried....rang boss who was also a T1 he was very sweet, he said dont worry... went in next day felt well strange, dizzzy when trying to draw my head was so fuzzy...carried on coping for about another week then had to commute by car to a job, 400miles a day return journey, for 3 days in a row....it shattered me...i told boss that i found it although acheivable to work that way that it was unacceptable and within a week i d been told that sadly there was no more work for me to do....so i went to my computer deleted all the work id done sent the rest of team an email saying my contract had been terminated cos i didnt draw fast enough and flounced out......drove 1/2 way home realised i still had the keys to office so had to creep back in to return them ...opps 😱
End of career...

well after watching barney play there he seemed to be ok, slightly sweaty but thats the lights etc he did get beat but his opponent is on from of his life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back