I witnessed a hypo live on t.v.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steff

Little Miss Chatterbox
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
As an avid viewer of darts me and other half where watching a game on wednesday night with a guy called raymond van barneveld playing he is dutch and recently diagnosed with diabetes, all of a sudden his darts started drifting his head and arms where sweating and he had to call for a break, i seen him slip his hand into his pocket and produce a while sweet like thing im guessing that was a glucotab?, anyways after a short while he emerged not looking tip top but he continued on and won the match, it later emerged he had to eat some dried apricots to being him back up in the interview he gave he said he just is not used to the way the sugar levels dip and the way darts is if you cant make it through a 4 set match how do you make it through 8 sets etc etc.I said to my other half surely the guy needs time out for abit to adjust but other half said he just gotta get on with it,

I just wanted to ask you guys when you where diagnosed did you need anytime away from work to adjust and if so did it benifit you and if not do you wish you had looking back?? even if you dont work currently surely you cant just continue on you need top adopt a new routine, this guy gave me the impression so what i have diabetes but my career is foremose not my health

Last edited:
Interesting issue - but I suspect this case is more about professional / high level sports than normal work. Actually, amazed that darts can be considered a "sport" *. I don't think Steve Redgrave was ever permitted a later start for his rowing races while he got his blood sugar levels under control. I certainally don't ask for extra time to be credited if I have to eat a few sweets during an orienteering run or check blood sugar levels during a mountain marathon run (out for at least a few hours, 2 days running), for example, not that it's high level competition. Basically, the answer is training - carrying out everything you'd have to do during a competition and remembering what influences blood sugar in which direction. Gradually, managing food intake, insulin doses, activity, blood sugar etc does get easier.

As long as Raymond van Barneveld's blood levels had returned to normal for a while, then no reason why he couldn't continue. Even if he did look a bit ill, it doesn't mean he actually was unwell. Personally, last thing I'd want is to be anywhere near someone who is hypoglycaemic with any sharp pointy things in his hand! So, probably a case for public protection, as well as concern for the individual to let him sort himself out.

Personally, when I was diagnosed (30 years old), things only began to improve once I started doing the things that really mattered to me - the advice from hospital clinic was all about doing boring things that didn't interest me. Had I been a professional darts player, I would have wanted to get straight back into it. There are all too many jobs that are banned after a diagnosis of type 1 diabetes - I've been at the receiving end of quite a few.

*Darts and snooker are absent from the list of sports on http://www.runsweet.com/DiabetesAndSport.html

id not like to get into the issue of darts being a sport but you do have the likes of sychronised swimming being one and also archery is one what is the diffirence both sports require you shooting a missle at a board.I think with the likes of steve redgrave for example he aint on the water that long he can eat beforehand and i know a dart player can to but the darter can either be playing 12 in afternoon but as late as midnight which it what time it was wednesday , i guess him calling for a break meant he knew he was in danger on stage so best to sort it out in private then in front of a average 2,000 crowd.he has only been diagnosed 3 month at the most and managing it will take him time, he has no idea when on stage he is going to hypo just like none of us do from what i saw he handled it well and did'nt make any fuss when he came back on stage.

Last edited:
Hi Steff

Found this link: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/more-...g-on-but-barney-s-sick-tired-115875-21934781/

It says he's a type 2. "In August, while on holiday in Spain, I discovered I was diabetic. I was waking up every morning with needles and pins in my arms, and it turned out my blood sugar level was four times higher than it should be. It's Type 2 diabetes, which means I don't have to inject insulin or take pills, but it's becoming worse and sometimes I'm so tired on the oche I find it hard to focus."

It must be so hard for him to play in front of so many people, with the lights from the stage, heat, hours they train etc.... and knowing he is going hypo. Like all sports people, the pressure and adrenaline must be hard to control as well with how they affect his bloods.

There was another darts player diagnosed recently as well but i can't think who it was (i come from a darting family 😉 )

Will have a think...

As an avid viewer of darts me and other half where watching a game on wednesday night with a guy called raymond van barneveld playing he is dutch and recently diagnosed with diabetes, all of a sudden his darts started drifting his head and arms where sweating and he had to call for a break, i seen him slip his hand into his pocket and produce a while sweet like thing im guessing that was a glucotab?, anyways after a short while he emerged not looking tip top but he continued on and won the match, it later emerged he had to eat some dried apricots to being him back up in the interview he gave he said he just is not used to the way the sugar levels dip and the way darts is if you cant make it through a 4 set match how do you make it through 8 sets etc etc.I said to my other half surely the guy needs time out for abit to adjust but other half said he just gotta get on with it,

I just wanted to ask you types 1's when you where diagnosed did you need anytime away from work to adjust and if so did it benifit you and if not do you wish you had looking back?? even if you dont work currently surely you cant just continue on you need top adopt a new routine, this guy gave me the impression so what i have diabetes but my career is foremose not my health

we saw that too , knew he was diabetic , i said to the other half he doesnt look good all pale and sweaty , bet hes going hypo......and he was poor barney! i am a darts widow with the other half playing and watching , also bearing in mind hes not just going to give up a life he knows because of the diabetes...the winner of that tournament get something like 200-250 thousand pounds for the winner and he has already won 15 thousand for getting this far....it is his job and his living just hope he is carefull with it...the other half is in rivalry with his cousin brain 'pecker' woods lol and we are a very darty family :D

Last edited:
Hi Steff

Found this link: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/more-...g-on-but-barney-s-sick-tired-115875-21934781/

It says he's a type 2. "In August, while on holiday in Spain, I discovered I was diabetic. I was waking up every morning with needles and pins in my arms, and it turned out my blood sugar level was four times higher than it should be. It's Type 2 diabetes, which means I don't have to inject insulin or take pills, but it's becoming worse and sometimes I'm so tired on the oche I find it hard to focus."

It must be so hard for him to play in front of so many people, with the lights from the stage, heat, hours they train etc.... and knowing he is going hypo. Like all sports people, the pressure and adrenaline must be hard to control as well with how they affect his bloods.

There was another darts player diagnosed recently as well but i can't think who it was (i come from a darting family 😉 )

Will have a think...

ty becca we subscribe to the darts mag every month and saw an interview he did it didnt say what type he was , , ohhh im a darts widow hun well and truly lol

they is a dart player called jamie caven who is nicknamed jabba for obvious reasons , but andy fordham is borderline , phil taylors wife has it and of course jackie wilson had it.

Last edited:
we saw that too , knew he was diabetic , i said to the other half he doesnt look good all pale and sweaty , bet hes going hypo......and he was poor barney! i am a darts widow with the other half playing and watching , also bearing in mind hes not just going to give up a life he knows because of the diabetes...the winner of that tournament get something like 200-250 thousand pounds for the winner and he has already won 15 thousand for getting this far....it is his job and his living just hope he is carefull with it

ohh bex so nice to meet a fellow darts windower lol. he has wonr 25k so far and i agree yes he cant let D take over his life , his career was here long before diabetes .

*Darts and snooker are absent from the list of sports on http://www.runsweet.com/DiabetesAndSport.html

At least with snooker they walk a few miles and there is a strategy and skill to work around what your opponent left on the table.

The other 'sport' I'm staggered they put on TV is poker - come on, watching rice pudding cooking in a slow cooker is more interesting than both darts and poker.

Snooker was more fun when it was Pot Black and in black and white.

One way they could make darts a challenge is to play it in a wind tunnel, with a crosswind 🙄

Personally, I don't recall taking any significant time off work, although the court system was less sympathetic then than it might be now.

After a hypo you feel and look rough, well I do, more so than normal, someone has just mucked about with the power going to your brain.

ty becca we subscribe to the darts mag every month and saw an interview he did it didnt say what type he was , , ohhh im a darts widow hun well and truly lol

they is a dart player called jamie caven who is nicknamed jabba for obvious reasons , but andy fordham is borderline , phil taylors wife has it and of course jackie wilson had it.

that jamie cavens pretty good for a guy who can only see outa 1 eye too! and the diabeties....recon it all comes down to motivation levels , also stefflet me take a wild guess.....its on the telly while we are sat at the pc ? :D

Last edited:
At least with snooker they walk a few miles and there is a strategy and skill to work around what your opponent left on the table.

The other 'sport' I'm staggered they put on TV is poker - come on, watching rice pudding cooking in a slow cooker is more interesting than both darts and poker.

Snooker was more fun when it was Pot Black and in black and white.

One way they could make darts a challenge is to play it in a wind tunnel, with a crosswind 🙄

Personally, I don't recall taking any significant time off work, although the court system was less sympathetic then than it might be now.

After a hypo you feel and look rough, well I do, more so than normal, someone has just mucked about with the power going to your brain.

Darts is a sport, and as such is recognised by the British Sports Council and is actually eligible for consideration as an Olympic sport.

It requires exceptional hand-to-eye co'ordination.
Good mental skills, in particularly mathematically.
Strong mental focus and stamina.
Abiliy to perform under stress.

Comparing darts to any other sport, be it snooker or whatever, is a pointless argument. Try walking to the dartboard and back during a long match and then work out the distance you've walked - there won't be much difference between snooker and darts on that point.

The fact that many don't regard darts as a sport, is purely down to ignorance.
Try playing it at a decent level and the you'll have more apreciation for what is involved.
I can't stand watching cricket, snooker and a good many other sports, but i don't write them off as rubbish and undeserving of being classed as a sport.

Last edited:
that jamie cavens pretty good for a guy who can only see outa 1 eye too! and the diabeties....recon it all comes down to motivation levels , also stefflet me take a wild guess.....its on the telly while we are sat at the pc ? :D

YESSS and always the same hun lol

id like to stress please that my thread was simply not whether darts should be labelled as a sport or not and i DONT want to wonder off topic so if any offence was caused to a reply i made to einstein then it was not meant but for something i feel passionate about being rubbished i will step in

id like to stress please that my thread was simply not whether darts should be labelled as a sport or not and i DONT want to wonder off topic so if any offence was caused to a reply i made to einstein then it was not meant but for something i feel passionate about being rubbished i will step in

I totally aplogise for my last post it was filpant and totally unnecessay

Last edited:
Thanks for Becca's link.
Personally, I'm more concerned about his comment "I think you can get rid of diabetes but I'm too lazy - I like my food, I like a drink." I hope he gets sorted in the coming months....
Sure there's strategy and skill in darts, but equal strategy & skill, plus more strength is needed for archery, for example. I'd just like to see more variety of sports covered on TV - when did you last see canoeing or kayaking (both sports in which Britons do very well, not that that's the only criteria), orienteering (a friend living in Sweden tells me when he sees it on TV, each time he gets his hair cut), volleyball (6 a side - beach volleyball is on Channel 4 on Sunday mornings), adventure racing (a British team won world championship in November 2009, but no TV coverage due until mid Jan 2010)? So, if that means slightly less of sports like darts, snooker, cricket, football, tennis etc, I'd be happy.

comparing darts to other sports is once again going off the topic , maybe i have wrote the whole post wrong and should of used another example.maybe my skills in this forum are beginning to lag .

If he's not medicating....how come he had a hypo?

I'm new to this so probably completely wrong, but thought we could only have a hypo if we were using insulin or medication.

If he's not medicating....how come he had a hypo?

I'm new to this so probably completely wrong, but thought we could only have a hypo if we were using insulin or medication.

As far as im aware and this is after me asking in here a bit ago, we can all have hypos but there more common in 1's i asked a question becoz i have not had a hypo in the 11 month i have been diagnosed only had hypers. but im not entirely sure someone will correct us im sure x

I just wanted to ask you guys when you where diagnosed, did you need any time away from work to adjust and if so did it benefit you and if not, do you wish you had, looking back?? Even if you don't work currently surely you can't just continue on. You need to adopt a new routine. This guy gave me the impression "So what? I have diabetes but my career is foremost, not my health"
(I've added some punctuation & capital letters to make it easier to read)

I did try to answer your questions - although since discovering he has type 2 diabetes, not on insulin, my answer probably isn't too relevant - I admit to having assumed that as he is (a) sportsman and (b) young, he had type 1. Must admit I wonder how he went hypo if he's not on tablets or medication - I can understand hypoglycaemia in someone without diabetes eg running a marathon, or having not eaten for hours, but more difficult to understand during a darts match when competitors can eat & drink while the other is working.
Runsweet really is the most useful resource for people with diabetes in the UK taking part in sport - but it doesn't mention darts, for whatever reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back