I wish I was an idiot

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are all intelegent people and we are all different.

Personally I think the thing to do is read through the posts, look at the alternatives and work out what is right for us as individuals. Certainly we should aim to eat a balanced diet but I know because of various reasons not everyone is able to eat everything, and there is still room in there for a treat or two too.
Thank you for your reply. I agree with you laughter is good medicine.

BE HAPPY

Dear williams89,

Welcome to the forum, your confusion is not uncommon. There is plenty of info' out there, the trick is finding it. As others have said, you need to learn what will work best for you, by the way, do you have a blood glucose meter?. Most people on this forum would not be without one - your DSN may be able to give you one. If you look at Diabetes UKs (DUK) web site they have a definition of type 2 diabetes: "Type 2 diabetes develops when the body can still make some insulin, but not enough, or when the insulin that is produced does not work properly (known as insulin resistance)". The upshot of this is that when you consume carbohydrate it raises your blood sugar too high (unless you only eat a small amount).

There are two ways around this:

1. Eat plenty of starchy carbs - Then take oral diabetes medicine to get rid of them or

2. Restrict your carbs - So that your blood sugar does not rise too high anyway.

The former is the advice that DUK and probably your diabetes team will give you. They will not condone the second alternative

So the choice is yours. BTW I have adopted the second approach and am still "diet controlled" after 15 years - however this approach is not easy because carbs are addictive! Also exercise is important no matter which approach you adopt!

Regards Dodger

Hello and thank you for your comments.

BE HAPPY

Ive never heard a medical profession say do not cut down on carbs. I told my doctor that my levels were a bit better because I cut down on carbs and she said "oh, well done!". You don't have to go to the extreme that Dodger does, as this may not suit everyone. Everyone recommends a 'balanced' diet, so why should this mean a shit load of carbs and less of everything else?

Hello Katie. Thank you for your reply.
I have lost a few pounds since starting the more balanced diet so for me that is a big bonus. I am $* stone and intend taking at least ^&*" off.

BE HAPPY

Hi williams89 and welcome to the forum.

There certainly is a lot of conflicting information out there but you're certainly doing the right thing reading up on everything. I think the amount of different opinions out there reflects the fact that diabetes is such an individual thing, what works for one may be dreadful for someone else. It's not really about high carb/low carb/ no carb or any of the steps in between it's about working out what works for you. In my opinion the best way to do this is to test you blood, see what different foods and activity do to your levels and use that information to inform what you do next time, of course others may have different views!
There is a book I've heard recommened a lot on these boards that several here have found extremely useful when diagnosed. I'm sure it's mentioned on the book board but think it's called something like, diabetes, the first yet. I'm sure someone else will be along to correct me!
Sorry to hear you've not had more support from your nurse. Is your care with your gp or a diabetes centre at a hospital. A lot of people say they feel better supported when they're with the dedicated diabetes centre as they tend to have more knowledge than a lot of gps so asking for a referal might be worth considering?

Hello Aymes. Thank you for your comments.

I am being treated at my local G P surgery. The nurse may have been having a bad day so when I see her in a few days time I will go in with a big smile and see how we progress from there. I will have a look for the book. My wife purchased a BMJ book for diabetics and that has been the best reading todate.

BE HAPPY

Dear katie,

You're absolutely right, people may not need to restrict carbs to the level I do - we are all different. As you know, I have been controlling my carbs for over 12 years. When I first started the level of carbs that I could eat was much higher, however as beta-cell function declines the amount I can eat has diminished. What I was advocating was restricting carbs so that blood sugar does not go too high i.e. meets your targets. BTW "Eat plenty of starchy carbs" is a quote from DUK

Dear Williams89,

You can see how "animated" this topic can get so let me repeat: It is your choice what you do. The fact that I am a low carber (not by choice) has nothing to do with the choices you will make.

Warmest Regards Dodger

Hello Dodger
Thank you for your comments. My head is spinning at the moment (answering posts). I hope I have not missed any of the people who took the time to post their thoughts to me.

BE HAPPY

hi williams89
I am new to all this as well all i can add is take time to calm down and take one day at a time i have not seen the dsn yet got app tues but i have read a book called the first year of diabetes type2 by gretchen franklyn which i bought from amazon you can keep going back to things you have forgotten which i do quite frequently.i am also writing questions down to ask dsn nurse. sorry i cant be more helpfull but there are a lot of lovely pple on this site so just keep posting all the best lynne x

Welcome aboard

I must say I love that phrase..."... about as helpful as an ashtry on a motorbike" I may borrow it.

Erm yeah all I'll say is it is well worth writing down the hundresd questions you have, and ask your nurse them all, it helps me every time!

Hi williams89. Glad you are still around and we haven't put you off.

People here have different opinions. The reasons you see so much conflicting information is that diabetes can be a very different thing for many people, whether they themselves have it or not. Don't ever be afraid to offer up your own opinions (but be prepared to be shot down if someone disagrees) That's all part of the group experience.

As to your nurse, it is often difficult to give everyone the help and information they require as there is so much of it, especially when you have only just been diagnosed.

Hopefully, when you see her again, you will be a little more prepared yourself and know what to ask. There is a great deal to learn, even for someone who has been dealing with it for a long time.

Take it easy and try to pick out the the bits that you need to know now.

Again, hope all goes well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back