I thought I'd be safe in church...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, I realise that diabetes can lead to amputation, but only after periods of poor control, often starting before diagnosis, and generally not connected to gout. As there are many treatments for gout, amputation for that is rare - at least in recent years in the UK, which is the place and period referred to by Manjeeta's vicar. As Peter C says, the story would have been far better if the vicar had said Johnny had had a leg amputated without giving a reason, as the whole point of the story was about cheerfulness, not gout or diabetes. While good diabetic control is vital, perhaps not a traditional topic for a sermon! Although perhaps religious leaders speaking out more against unhealthy and expensive habits such as smoking would be a good idea?

In all fairness I didn't really question the gout bit... Although maybe gangrene is more accurate. Although going by a few of your posts, maybe gout is a problem! Hey ho. I do think I might say something next time I see him though. I agree, Copepod, saying 'amputation' without giving the reasons quite so discompassionately (is that a word?!) would have been more appropriate given the joyful moral.

So. I went to the church that is affiliated to my school with my class of 29 in tow for my biannual trip inside a place of worship, thinking I'd be safe. Little did I know...

All was going well. We got through readings, songs, solos. The head had a word then it was the rector's turn. He started telling us all about his friend. A man named Johnny. Who was full of joy. So full of joy he decided to sing about it, oh so joyfully. I'll admit, Johnny did indeed sound joyful. Now. Johnny came to church every week...

But... Johnny has a condition called diabetes. Diabetes caused Johnny to develop a condition called gout which led to him having his leg "chopped off". Thanks rector... My kids looked at me in horror. I raised my eyes to the ceiling. Honestly!! The moral of the story was, apparently, that you can still be full of joy with only one leg... 🙄

I think I'd be inclined to contact the rector and explain to him the true facts. Give him a few useful and well informed websites like this forum and suggest the numb skull gets his facts right.

For the record, I know several people who have gout and are NOT diabetic. They have enough problems with the gout without wishing anything else on them...

Leaving aside the theology for a moment, I have to admit that, in my experience, non-C of E religions are better & friendlier caterers - Quakers, in particular, do great soups, cheese, bread made with wheat, corn bread, and an amazing selection of puddings, so everyone could have a little bit of each, or just one piece; Methodists & Baptists are great on sandwiches, cakes, often with Caribbean & West African components, particularly in Birmingham - I've eaten some of my best food ever in Methodist International House near Birmingham University.

Happy Christmas, good food, kinship, frienship etc to everyone - and blood sugars back to nearer normal by New Year!

Leaving aside the theology for a moment, I have to admit that, in my experience, non-C of E religions are better & friendlier caterers - Quakers, in particular, do great soups, cheese, bread made with wheat, corn bread, and an amazing selection of puddings, so everyone could have a little bit of each, or just one piece; Methodists & Baptists are great on sandwiches, cakes, often with Caribbean & West African components, particularly in Birmingham - I've eaten some of my best food ever in Methodist International House near Birmingham University.

Happy Christmas, good food, kinship, frienship etc to everyone - and blood sugars back to nearer normal by New Year!

And we Jews do the best bacon butties, oops salt beef bagels 😉 😛

Jewish and Arab food, too

Agreed about Jewish food, too - parents' next door neighbours run around like crazy just before Passover, then feed all the neighbours as well as their family & congregation. Another neighbour threw a non kosher (but M&S) frozen chicken over the fence a neighbour to keep in her fridge, before the congregation ladies arrived to cook for her after her husband died. The chicken eventually came back to her freezer, after passing through several other neighbours' freezers, as they went away on holiday.
I heard a trailer on the radio for an item about the scope for humous & felafel to help with solving Middle East - perhaps a bit over-ambitious, but a definate potential source of agreement between Israel and Arab neighbouring countries. October to mid December working on a kibbutz in Israel, then Christmas with Arab Christian friends in Jordan was a highlight - we were all totally bemused by the release of "Do they know it's Christmas?", which tells you the year it happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back