I might not be able to have anymore test strips

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with the HbA1c Mike is that there's some doubt as to it's value. There's a view that it only shows your blood sugars on the date and time of the test and cannot give a clear average of your bloods over three months. I'm not sure how the testing is carried out and therefore not sure how reliable the results are. I do my morning test when I get up and usually test at night before bed. If I'm below 6, I've found my chances of a hypo during the night are much greater. Other than that I usually only test if I feel ill or the dog starts fussing at me (she usually catches a hypo before I do).

HbA1c gives an image of blood glucose level over approx 3 months before blood is taken - exact period of time depends of lifespan of red blood cells, which does vary between individuals, and it does give more weight to more recent levels over those from longer into the approx 3 month period.
Home blood glucose test strips can help people to achieve "better" HbA1c levels, but only if they can interpret and react to levels. In type 1s in particular, but also type 2s on medications that can induce hypoglycaemia, testing can also help to prevent hypos, by testing before / during driving and before / during / after exercise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back