I hope you are well

Status
Not open for further replies.
70! Mostly at night. Some of them because I lie on the sensor at night. Sometimes I get dehydrated and my BG wiggles in and out of the wrong side of 3.9 multiple times in the night, and they all record as separate hypos. My hospital clinic aren’t particularly concerned.
A8839C2E-015C-4ABF-B225-CA948A00DB73.jpeg

70! Mostly at night.
You both beat me. I'm at a mere 31, which I think includes a few hours of the non-functioning Libre 2 (though maybe it decided it was broken and those lows have been removed).

AGP says I spend 0% of the time very low and 1% low, which I count as unusually good. (15% high, 1% very high. With, unsurprisingly, 83% in target.)

22 in 90 days - quite a few at night but I’m a light sleeper so the alarms wake me up

strangettly ebough when on the libre at least to begin with I was having a lot more then libre remembered so only a few would show on that graph of low glucose events but it would be every couple of days.

6 in last 90 days. Since starting on libre 2 they have reduced dramatically must admit, mainly in part to having alarm set higher to warn of dropping bg, have it set at 4.8 & always check which way arrow is pointing before deciding what to do.

Get what you mean benny, those hypo discussions were uncomfortable, sometimes come away feeling like one big failure, share libre data with clinic now so shouldn't have those feelings again.

Hi @Robin, do you use a night time alarm? Does it wake you up?
No, I switch it off at night, else some nights I'd get no sleep.. If I'm genuinely hypo, I wake up on my own. My 'below target' is currently 4%, and my ‘very low' stats are zero. I do have a very peculiar night time pattern, where my BG always falls as soon as my head touches the pillow (irrespective of when or how much basal, I have done a lot of experimenting) then hovers just above the red, or just dips in, for a few hours, then rises again from 4am.

I find this interesting when compared to finger pricking only and wonder how many of those "hypos" matter.
I am not belittling the danger of hypos and try to avoid them. But when finger pricking we only know our readings at the point we prick. We do not know if we go just below 4 or just over 10 because the timing of out bolus was "off" for example.
I thought about his when I was completing my DIAB1 form for my driving license. In the past, I was unaware of any of those dips below 4 and, to the best of my knowledge, I answered "No" to the "Have you had a hypo in the last year?" question. On my latest form, I answered "Yes" although I doubt there is a huge amount of difference in my hypos (I fair better in the top end so my HBA1c has come down) as most hypos are short dalliances into the 3s.
I wonder if, in the world of CGMs, this question will be considered more to weed out those who are hypo unaware or lying or will DVLA start asking about Time In Range?
As I was honestly able to answer the question regarding assistance to treat my hypos with a "No", my license was renewed within less than a week.

I can’t decide if I’m just an A* diabetic or a fraud! 😉
PS no showing of “high events!” 😳

Attachments

• D237D581-678A-45AF-B724-9CD53C6B72B1.jpeg
    D237D581-678A-45AF-B724-9CD53C6B72B1.jpeg
    38.6 KB · Views: 9
I don’t get ‘number of events’ on Dexcom Clarity, but my 90 day report seems to suggest a smidge over 2% below 4.0, and the majority of that in the 3s.

I've had 24 - 11 of em were between 18.00 and 24.00 apparently, which is odd cos I've been higher (high single figures/low double) at that time for at least a week now, so ditto when I get out of bed in a morning.

I have to add that whenever I have set the alarm and checked one of my overnight 'hypo' readings that hasn’t woken me up naturally, a finger prick has confirmed that I'm over 4. I think I’m just one of those people for whom the Libre reads a bit low at the bottom end. I still wouldn’t be without it.

I find this interesting when compared to finger pricking only and wonder how many of those "hypos" matter.
I am not belittling the danger of hypos and try to avoid them. But when finger pricking we only know our readings at the point we prick. We do not know if we go just below 4 or just over 10 because the timing of out bolus was "off" for example.
I thought about his when I was completing my DIAB1 form for my driving license. In the past, I was unaware of any of those dips below 4 and, to the best of my knowledge, I answered "No" to the "Have you had a hypo in the last year?" question. On my latest form, I answered "Yes" although I doubt there is a huge amount of difference in my hypos (I fair better in the top end so my HBA1c has come down) as most hypos are short dalliances into the 3s.
I wonder if, in the world of CGMs, this question will be considered more to weed out those who are hypo unaware or lying or will DVLA start asking about Time In Range?
As I was honestly able to answer the question regarding assistance to treat my hypos with a "No", my license was renewed within less than a week.

That time will come, dvla checking cgm data to monitor incidents of hypos, especially as libre data can be shared if permission is given.

Always answered Yes to hypos on form because I have them & likely always will, can answer No to assistance with them as so far been lucky to manage them all myself.

Looks like I might be the biggest sinner here so far. 🙄 Think I am probably getting a D- grade for my diabetes management.... In my defense, I still managed 88% TIR for the same time period with just 5% below.IMG_20220224_114953636_BURST000_COVER[903].jpg

That is pretty standard for me since starting on Libre a year and a half ago. I average just under 1 hypo a day.

I am still using original Libre so no alarms and happy to continue that way as I have good awareness and often feel them in the low 4s (BG).
Don't think I have ever had a compression low, so no excuse there but Libre exaggerates a lot (ie it usually reads at least 1 mmol lower than BG), so my guess would be that at least half of those were probably not real hypos and the remainder were mostly very mild ones.
I am very prone to nocturnal hypos after exercise and my evening basal dose is a bit of an educated guessing game almost every night because my night time needs seem to vary significantly. It doesn't worry me and I have good awareness and my consultant is not concerned either and is very happy with my results. I actually prompted a discussion of this very subject last month during my telephone appointment.
The benefit to this situation is that I have gained a lot of confidence in dealing with hypos and they don't scare me to the point that they impact my lifestyle, it is more of an inconvenience than anything else these days. I used to really live in fear of night time hypos during my first year and that was much more debilitating than the reality of suffering them. I had a spate of a week where I had them every night, despite reducing my Levemir each evening eventually down to 0 units and was still hypoing and that spell really helped me overcome the fear! I am very aware that mentally this is dangerous ground which is why I broached the subject with my consultant but as long as I adjust my insulin to try to prevent them and I am self aware, then he is fine with it.

I am very prone to nocturnal hypos after exercise and my evening basal dose is a bit of an educated guessing game almost every night because my night time needs seem to vary significantly. It doesn't worry me and I have good awareness and my consultant is not concerned either and is very happy with my results. I actually prompted a discussion of this very subject last month during my telephone appointment.
I've found that my hospital clinic conversations have always been sensible, and their concern is making sure I have full hypo awareness (they obviously have a tick box, because it gets awarded a score when they write their report). Though having agreed with me fully, the last doctor I spoke to then suggested I set the low glucose alarm at a low level, despite just having discussed with me the futility of doing so! I guess he had another box to tick - 'Advised Patient to set alarm'. A previous doctor also wrote on the report that I should lower my night time basal, despite having agreed with me on the phone that it wouldn’t work!

19 in 90 days, but the alarms have deffo helped me fend them off. Prior to Libre 2 my rate would have been much higher.

What number do you set your Low Alarm at @Pattidevans ? I find if I set it too high, it keeps alarming when I’m not actually that low (confirmed by finger-prick).

In the old finger pricking days the Consultant or DSN would ask at the yearly check in 'How is the hypo situation?' I would shrug my shoulders and we would discuss other things. In this age of Libre snooping, there is no hiding the hypos, or hypers.

Forgive me Consultant/DSN, it's been too long since my last confession, in the last 3 months I have commited 47 hypos.

View attachment 20182

If any of you sinners would like to compare and contrast, feel free to unburden yourself.
Screenshot_20220224-204833.jpg
The trouble is that many of these are false readings from failing sensors or just in spec low-reading sensors and very few were deep hypos. I'm not in denial on this, just frustrated that this statistic doesn't stand up to scrutiny.
But you've got a good spread across the 24 hrs!

The trouble is that many of these are false readings from failing sensors or just in spec low-reading sensors and very few were deep hypos. I'm not in denial on this, just frustrated that this statistic doesn't stand up to scrutiny.
But you've got a good spread across the 24 hrs!
Given finger prick meters have a 15% accuracy on tolerance, carbs quoted on food are averages, there are many things that affect blood sugars, no one who understands diabetes is looking for “statistics to stand up to scrutiny”. It is about living within guide rails.
Personally, I prefer the the graph which shows the average readings during the day and variance from it (I think it is available on LibreView) as it doesn get bogged down when I have a a day of tempermental lows or a week of Christmas cake, mince pie and Quality Strret highs (I wonder when that was) and shows how low (or high) I go (with an indication of how often). Taken with the Libre accuracy tolerance, my engineer’s mind is happier with this than a count of how many times my low alarm went off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back