I feel rotten...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freddie99

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Ok, today has been a rather interesting day. On the plus side my funding has been cleared with the PCT and it's gotten throguh to Medtronic as I understand. On the downside I reckon I've started to come down with something. I've been snacking on doughnuts all evening but bolusing for them. I did this a few days ago and the bloods were perfect after. I've just had a blood of 20.1 mmol/L. I've given a correction of seven units and put a temporary basal of 200% on for over night. I am seriosuly fed up. I just want to curl up and give up on everything. Looks like I'm going to be awake all night playing chase the bloods and drinking copious amounts of water. I hate stress and illness. I've just changed my basals. If I'm coming down with something it can't really have come at a worse time if I'm honest. It's all begining to get a little too much for me.

Tom

*hugs" Tom

you know where i am ok xxx

Hey Tom,

Sorry to hear all this, sounds like a a bad time- last thing you need.

Is it a new set or have you done a canula change today? Are you happy it is working ok? Can you see any blood in the canula? Hopefully all these things are fine but worth mentioning.

Its a relief to hear the funding is sorted out at last.

Lou x

Look after yourself Tom, hope things are better by tomorrow.

Ruth ( mum to 3 DD, G 3 year old T1 Diagnosed 13/11/09)

New cannula is fine. I had a peak after breakfast of 13.5 mmol/L but this is something else. I can't even tell that I've gone high. I'm all too hot and a bit sweaty. It's not pleasant. I'm going to get into bed and watch a load of crap on BBC Iplayer. I'll also be playing that wonderful game that is chase the blood glucose over night. Is there anything else that I can do? I might have to go from a 200% temp basal to something even higher. Just got to fiddle with the maximum basal settings to allow that I think.

Tom

To be honest Tom, you sound like you have got it covered.

Just be cautious that a 200% basal is actually quite a bit, espec when you have given a good correction if your basal is correct.

I would set the alarm and 3 am test. You sound as if you may be coming down with something hey? In which case I would also have a couple of paarcetamol- if you can keep things at bay you might be lucky and shave a bit off the high numbers.

Sorry if I sound like a text book but dont forget keytone testing if there is no improvement. The set may look good as well but stick to the rules at this stage, no improvement? Then set change and then after that its an injection of novorapid. Hopefully things dont get that far.

Chin up- dont dispair. You do so well, this is just a blip.

Im sorry you feel poorly xx

Thanks Lou, I'll check again in a few hours to see what's happening. I might drop the basal to a 150% one if things are back on track by then. I think the high bloods are an early warning that I am coming down with something. If I feel crappy when I go to work on Tuesday at least I can wander up to A&E or the diabetes centre for a hand. Good job I've got an appointment on Tuesday morning.

Tom

Hi Tom,
Sorry you're not feeling well. Do you have an out of hours number for a DSN? I was given one for the Novo Nordisk helpline - I guess your pump suppliers have one too? You seem to have covered everything, but if possible it may help to talk things over with a clinician.
Hope you feel better soon.
Gloria

Sadly my pumps manufacturers won't give me clinical support. I do however, have the phone number for my consultant. If things aren't better in a few days I will have to give him a call.

Tom

Hope you get your levels back down quickly. Keep a look out for your levels crashing in a few hours.

Hope you manage to get sorted out Tom.. and feel better soon.

I have no words to help you with the pumping thang! Other than good luck be sensible and listen to Lou!!

Hope you can pick your head up soon

I'll have a drink for you sir!

Take care

Rossi 🙂

Will be up for a fair bit of the night seeing as I slept from half two to half six this afternoon. I'm keeping a close eye on my bloods. Next test is due in an hour or so. Will let you folks know how it's all going.

Tom

Bloods are now down to 16.9 mmol/L. Feeling better. Still chugging pints of water to help avoid any ketones.

Tom

Bloods down to 13.8 now. Basal dropped to a temporary basal of 150%. We will see what's happening in an hour or so I think.

Tom

hey tom you back at uni ...this could be a reaction to your totally amazing way you have coped over the last few weeks ..keep strong and rest a bit give yourself a bit of time get strong again xxx good luck
am

Morning all,

It's 0317 and I've just had a hypo. I'm kind of glad that I had it. It beats floating around in the 20's! Any how I've treated it and in the process i've destroyed the contents of my fridge. I've tried getting some sleep but that hasn't really worked. I'll try to get some more sleep but here in Brighton at three in the morning I can hear sirens and the occaisional smattering of bird song. That and drunken students! Temp basal of 140% now off. I'll put it back to normal now and when I wake up I will put a temp basal on if I'm coming down with something. Let battle commence!

Tom

Last edited:
Hi Tom,
You've managed great! Hope you got some sleep and feel better this morning.
G

Up in the morning to the rising sun! Or not in my case. I've just woken up to bloods of fifteen. Typical. Temporary basal of 130% on and we'll wait and see what happens...

Tom

Sorry to hear you have been having a rotten time

Look after yourself Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back