I am type 2 for certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steff

Little Miss Chatterbox
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hey all well eventually had my appointment at the hospital this morning seems like the 6 weeks have dragged, anyway she sat me down showed me all the figures and levels which left me bedazzled lol well after all it seems i am type 2 im not LADA nor MODY, the one thing that does do it set my mind at ease knowing what i definetly am lol.I have had my appointment to the DN moved forward as a request by my doc at hospital which is not the 22nd but the 16th now he says in his opinion the quicker i go onto insulin the better.

Good to have your results back and know what is going on. Did they mention which insulin regimen you will be going on? How do you feel about it?

I'm glad you've got the diagnosis cleared up at last. Maybe the insulin will help you get better control. What kind will it be do you know?

hi nikki and alison, firstly he mentioned no regime i dont think he wanted to bamboozle me with to much info to soon, he may leave all that to my DN next week i aint to sure, the one he mentioned was Insulatard apparently that will control my blood sugars throughout the day.As ill be new to all this insulin lark ill have alot to learn.

Nikki ive been doing loads of research and i kinda psyched myself up but now the doctor has actually confirmed it i can imagine myself being a jibbering wreck this week.

So pleased they've finally got things cleared up for you Steff. And, of course, you know you will get all the supprot you need from us when you start the insulin 🙂 You probably know an awful lot already, which is good, and something that most people don't have, so hopefully this will help you.

So pleased they've finally got things cleared up for you Steff. And, of course, you know you will get all the supprot you need from us when you start the insulin 🙂 You probably know an awful lot already, which is good, and something that most people don't have, so hopefully this will help you.

Yes I have that as well northey thanks, I cant quite get my head around finally knowing im type 2 but also i now know im going onto insulin.Its like i failed im a way on the pills but i know really i have gave it my best shot and i just need that little extra help which is what ill get from the insulin.

Yes I have that as well northey thanks, I cant quite get my head around finally knowing im type 2 but also i now know im going onto insulin.Its like i failed im a way on the pills but i know really i have gave it my best shot and i just need that little extra help which is what ill get from the insulin.

I've said it to other Steff, and I'll say it to you - you have not failed in any way, any more than me or anyone else who needs insulin. It's just the way your body works. Personally, I think you should be very proud of the way you have handled things over the past year or so. I've 'known' you since you were diagnosed, and I know how much effort you have put into it, whilst at the same time providing tremendous support to others - you've done a fantastic job :D

Steff, at least you know now. I guess it will take a while to get your head round. I was diagnosed as type 2 and when they confirmed I was type 1 actually, it messed with my mind a little.

We will support you with insulin. Its a lot to take in but you will do ok.

Hugs x

Steff, at least you know now. I guess it will take a while to get your head round. I was diagnosed as type 2 and when they confirmed I was type 1 actually, it messed with my mind a little.

We will support you with insulin. Its a lot to take in but you will do ok.

Hugs x

Thanks Lou I know ill not be on my own, in a way if i was not a part of this forum i dont know where i'd be 😱
The waiting and wondering was the worse part the 6 weeks seemed like years

The waiting and wondering was the worse part the 6 weeks seemed like years

Waiting is so painful, I waited a bit longer than that to know if I even had diabetes, can really mess with your head. Getting answers at least allows you to work it through.

In that sense I guess I've been lucky, I had both my initial diagnosis and re-diagnosis within two weeks. Now, if only I could get the same efficiency as regards the treatment I'd be laughing.

hi nikki and alison, firstly he mentioned no regime i dont think he wanted to bamboozle me with to much info to soon, he may leave all that to my DN next week i aint to sure, the one he mentioned was Insulatard apparently that will control my blood sugars throughout the day.As ill be new to all this insulin lark ill have alot to learn.

Nikki ive been doing loads of research and i kinda psyched myself up but now the doctor has actually confirmed it i can imagine myself being a jibbering wreck this week.

Hi Steff,
the usual two initial regimes for T2s going onto insulin are a single nightly shot of Lantus ( or levemir) or a Premix like Humalog Mix 25. Lantus shots at night deal with the dawn phenomenon if you have a strong one, Mix 25 and its Novorapid cousins, are used twice a day and act as a surrogate basal/bolus regime.
"Insulaturd" has a generally poor reputation among diabetics as I recall, perhaps its cheap ?
I think you should check out NICE guidelines on T2s starting insulin to get some context for what they are proposing.

I used insulatard for 10 years before starting on Lantus. I didn't have any problems with it --they just thought a flatter insulin would suit me.

Steph there is a peak a few hours after injecting, so you may need a small snack before bed to match the peak. Ask the nurse I am sure she'll be able to advise.

I hope you are happy you got the diagnosis cleared up.

Good luck with cracking the insulin game!

Take care

Rossi 🙂

thanks for advice all, ty peter ill let it sink in first before i go looking into guidelines.Its ok in principal thinking your heading for insulin but when your actually told its a dead cert it is a big shock if nto unexpected if that makes sense.

cheers

Hey Steff

You have in no way or form failed because you have had to go onto insulin. Like you I was diagnosed 2 years ago (well nearly - 14 April so coming up for anniversary) type 2 I went throught the are you type 2 or type 1 etc. started on metformin within 4 weeks of diagnosis.

It was January this year I was told I needed that little bit of extra help to get bs down in the morning. Mine where very bizzare.

I'm on insulatard and I inject between 4 & 6 units in the evening. I do this depending on exercise etc I have done. This keeps my waking bs between 5 - 6 (sometimes it is a little less).

Injecting is very easy and pain free I was scared to start with but now every eveing my alarm goes of and I grab the pen and put the needle on and inject.

If I can help in any way and even if it is just for a chin wag let me know. 😱

Hey Steff

You have in no way or form failed because you have had to go onto insulin. Like you I was diagnosed 2 years ago (well nearly - 14 April so coming up for anniversary) type 2 I went throught the are you type 2 or type 1 etc. started on metformin within 4 weeks of diagnosis.

It was January this year I was told I needed that little bit of extra help to get bs down in the morning. Mine where very bizzare.

I'm on insulatard and I inject between 4 & 6 units in the evening. I do this depending on exercise etc I have done. This keeps my waking bs between 5 - 6 (sometimes it is a little less).

Injecting is very easy and pain free I was scared to start with but now every eveing my alarm goes of and I grab the pen and put the needle on and inject.

If I can help in any way and even if it is just for a chin wag let me know. 😱

Thanks Di you may just be hearing from me soon.My fear of the needle is only slight, i was a total baby when it came to first using the finger pricker lol.

Steff, glad you finally know that you are a type 2, at least you know where you stand now.

They will probably start you on Lantus and see how it goes.
I've only been on insulin since October but my BG's are alot better now and I generally feel a lot better than I did before, so you'll probably start to see an improvement within a few weeks or so. It just takes a bit of tinkering with the dose before they get the right amount of insulin you need to inject.

Good luck with it all and let us know how it is going.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back