I am so bored with Glucotabs

Status
Not open for further replies.
- I use DextroEnergy tabs overnight. Chased by water is the best to get it working, although I'm often too tired to get up overnight. I decant DextroEnergy tabs into a small tub with a screw-on lid for easy access.
- If I'm looking a little low at bedtime, I'll have a portion of a granola bar (usually about 5g of carbs worth of the bar).
- During the day, I usually have Haribo, Skittles (1g of carb each for regular sized Skittles, 3g of carb for the Giants) or other candies. When I travel, I try to find new veggie candies for low treatments when I get home (Giant Skittles are available in the UK, but not Germany, so they're one of my holiday finds).
- I use dried fruit when I'm going slowly low to fend off the actual low (candied pineapple is my dried fruit of choice at the moment and the ones I get are about 4g of carbs per piece).
- I try to keep cut fruit (usually apples and oranges year-round, plus berries in the summer) in the fridge for easily treating lows when I'm also a bit hungry.
- When I've got a major low, I have a bottle of juice in the fridge and small bottle in my bag if out and about. The bottle in my bag is 330ml and about 33g of carbs and has a screw top so it can be closed. If I don't drink the whole thing, I put it in the fridge when I get home and use to for my next low treatment.
- If I'm at home or in a restaurant and I've got a constant low and don't want to overtreat, I make or order Apfelschorle - half apple juice, half sparkling water - and sip on it as needed.

I was taught to treat lows with 10g of carbs, wait 15 minutes, a treat again as needed. I've found that generally, my lows can be treated with 5-10g of carbs (unless I'm active) and sometimes take more than 15 minutes to kick in. If I'm in a sweaty low, I go for juice as it's the fastest.

I'm in Germany and I'm vegetarian, so my treatment methods and choices are influenced by availability and diet.

The manufacturers teamed up with a mental health charity and came up with some new messages to put on each sweet.

The eight new messages on the sweets are - BE YOU, YOU’RE LOVED, DREAM BIG, POSITIVE VIBES, RESPECT, STAY STRONG, LOVE YOURSELF and BE KIND.

What I love about this Forum is that there is always some great, new, bit of (moderately useless) (but fascinating nevertheless) information waiting to be revealed.
Who knew?
Every day a school day?

The manufacturers teamed up with a mental health charity and came up with some new messages to put on each sweet.

The eight new messages on the sweets are - BE YOU, YOU’RE LOVED, DREAM BIG, POSITIVE VIBES, RESPECT, STAY STRONG, LOVE YOURSELF and BE KIND.

Didn’t know this either but I love it!

I’m still quite miffed with our local Asda which hugely increased the price of the mini bags of Skittles (which are brilliantly pocket-proof in the summer). Mini bags are 15-17g a bag, so great for me.

They put them up during the period of runaway inflation, so they were double the price of other options.

Some forum members’ local stores have dropped them back to £2 a bag, but near me they’ve gone up even higher!! 😱😡😳

1706456161102.jpeg

Kendal mint cake works fast, dont need a lot so work out portion size would be my advice, like all other glucose it can rot teeth.
You can tell where we from! I also use Kendal Mint Cake.

I am a JB girl. They are my Hypo Heros. I also portion them into 2 JB hypo treatment teams. I am never tempted to eat more or eat them when not hypo. Important to chew them well to get quicker release of glucose. I have tried other sweets but I just can't control myself and they tempt me when I am not hypo, but having used JBs from the start I think I have developed the mentality that they are medicine and only the right amount when I need them are to be taken....albeit nice medicine.... well.... except the green ones! 🙄
Save the green ones for me Barbara. My favourites as you know.

I use Dextro as I am unlikely to overdo them... tried Jelly Babies for a while but they weren't anywhere near fast enough. Reading this thread reminded me that I do like Gourmet Jelly Beans from the Jelly Bean Factory. I once got this pack of 1.4 kilos as a christmas present. They've gone up a lot!

Not a bad idea then, cheers for explanation @Amity Island

There are a tad expensive but there are also lift shots that are work quite fast well for me anyway. A few weeks ago(before Christmas sometime I think) I'll also discovered these Dextro Energy Dextrose Drink, 12 Pack (Apple + Orange) https://amzn.eu/d/bdbU3Rv.
I didn't enjoy the taste though sorry to state the obvious but they were overpoweringly sweet but work fast of course when I'm droping enjoyment is my priority. Athough they might be a little too much.

I use Dextro as I am unlikely to overdo them... tried Jelly Babies for a while but they weren't anywhere near fast enough. Reading this thread reminded me that I do like Gourmet Jelly Beans from the Jelly Bean Factory. I once got this pack of 1.4 kilos as a christmas present. They've gone up a lot!
I also don't think jelly babies are very fast - I far prefer Skittles. Even these are going to be slower than dextrose, though I also dislike the chalky texture/flavour of those (though better than hypostop!)

I also don't think jelly babies are very fast - I far prefer Skittles. Even these are going to be slower than dextrose, though I also dislike the chalky texture/flavour of those (though better than hypostop!)
Lucozade tablets are nicer than Dextrose but you hardly ever see them these days.

I find JBs really fast as 2 of them, well chewed, can stop and turnaround a 4.1 on the Libre with a vertical downward arrow and not go into the red. It has happened on several occasions as my low alarm is set at 4.2, but by the time I get it out and scan, I am 4.1.

I did raise my low alarm for a while but I found after treating I didn't always come up above it and so it didn't go off again, if my levels dropped again, particularly during the night and I would end up with hours in the red. 4.2 just seems to suit me and as Libre generally reads lower than BG I suppose it is probably nearer 5 in reality anyway.... depends which meter you trust. Libre Optium test strips always read lower than Libre scan and Caresens always reads higher. I have been using the Caresens almost since diagnosis so have more faith in it.

I've seen them before but it was a long long time ago!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back