I’ve got to type two diabetes my GP says I can’t eat fruit is that right or wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bizarre for them to say that, know fair few people with type 2 who don't deny themselves fruit, they likely tested to see which fruits they could & couldn't tolerate as that's the way to find answer.
Most drs encourage fruit and a third of a plate of starchy carbs per meal as do most official diabetes sources.
Most type 2 also take medication and get progressively worse despite this
The two statements may not be totally disconnected.

Testing will not reflect what the long term slow effects of fructose might be nor reflect the amounts being consumed as that substance isn’t the one being tested. Also the effects of excessive fructose is not widely shared or considered.

And most type 2 do not test so I find it unlikely most have actually checked. In fact most type 2 are actively discouraged from testing as “unnecessary“ by nhs sources.

How are they testing for fructose?

Absolutely they are fanatical about testing, every time they take a bite of fruit.

All have a new portable breath test, it works like a traffic light system, green means your all good, orange means your borderline & should have ate half that strawberry rather than whole Berry, red with siren going off means your a greedy git & you ate whole punnet of berries so likely won't see day out.

Handy device as it can be plugged into 12v socket in car to test air while your happily driving along.

Most drs encourage fruit and a third of a plate of starchy carbs per meal as do most official diabetes sources.
Most type 2 also take medication and get progressively worse despite this
The two statements may not be totally disconnected.

Testing will not reflect what the long term slow effects of fructose might be nor reflect the amounts being consumed as that substance isn’t the one being tested. Also the effects of excessive fructose is not widely shared or considered.

And most type 2 do not test so I find it unlikely most have actually checked. In fact most type 2 are actively discouraged from testing as “unnecessary“ by nhs sources.

Thanks, will try my best to scare them off fruit altogether.

Data were extracted from McCance and Widdowson's Composition of Food Integrated Dataset which is about as accurate as you'll get. The list of foods runs to over 3000 entries and covers carb content and much else too.
See:
Thats some list @Dave W, and the spreadsheet with all the data is some spreadsheet. Good luck with checking stuff on your phone whilst shoving a trolley round Tesco!

If there is one observation I would make it is the lack of error bars on the data. So for raw apples, it takes the average of a load of different varieties and quotes a carb content to 1 decimal place. No mention of for example a 95% confidence limit on that value which I suspect could be quite large.

Absolutely they are fanatical about testing, every time they take a bite of fruit.

All have a new portable breath test, it works like a traffic light system, green means your all good, orange means your borderline & should have ate half that strawberry rather than whole Berry, red with siren going off means your a greedy git & you ate whole punnet of berries so likely won't see day out.

Handy device as it can be plugged into 12v socket in car to test air while your happily driving along.

Is this the hydrogen testing looking for fructose malabsorption and ibs etc? That’s not the same issue at all here though. The issue with fructose for a type 2 - that is absorbed so won’t trigger alerts on those tests - is that the liver does all the work (in the same way it does for alcohol) and any excess above the small amount the liver can process is stored as fat in the liver, which makes type 2 issues worse

I’m assuming the “scare them off” comment is sarcasm on your part but without being silly being aware of issues allows informed decisions about which fruit and how much of it rather than making poor choices in ignorance of what they are

Last edited:
I've come to the conclusion that certainty re carb counting is impossible, but it doesn't, practically, make to much difference unless one eats an inordinate amount of one single food.

Most of the research seems to indicate that the low levels of fructose from fruit are not an issue (Maybe also helped by the other nutrients present.), but the high levels in things like corn syrup do show a link with NAFLD.

My diabetic nurse gave me the following advice: Berries are lowest in carbs, tropical fruit is highest in carbs. A portion size is 80gm, and no more than 2 portions per day. In other words, make sensible choices and weigh your portion.
I keep frozen fruit as that's easiest to weigh. You can get lots of different berry mixes. I do get frozen pineapple, but only have a 40gm serving with gammon, as a treat.

This Swedish blog post

seems to offer a balanced explanation of the relevance of Fructose, how breath testing is done and fairly importantly draws attention to the erroneous conclusions that occur over revealing the presence of undigested fructose (=normal) and misunderstanding that such a presence is not an indicator of fructose intolerance (=potential problem).

Every day I learn something new!

Ah - so nothing to do with blood sugars.
We need to be really sure about how foods affect our blood and throwing in spurious and/or irrelevant testing information only makes things more confusing.
Fructose has been linked to the development of NAFLD so it's consumption should be considered, but not to the degree of half a strawberry, I hope, otherwise I'm doomed.

Well I'm well doomed as love fruit & include it daily in my diet lol

But fear not @Drummer , unless your diet is wholly based around fruit you have nowt to fear.
Why so rude and childish? Laughing at everyone‘s comments who see things differently to you or point out the irrelevance of the hydrogen testing to this topic. I’m sure you’ll just do it again now but for the benefit of others reading ….

Remember nonethewiser is looking at this issue from a very different standpoint to some of us. As a type 1 he is not inherently metabolically compromised as a type 2 is, and thus less at risk of a fatty liver in the first place. And is (hopefully) able to dose insulin according to his own food choices so doesn’t have to worry about managing blood glucose by diet alone.

You can eat an apple a day with a protein like a handful of almonds wwithout the salt, or an apple with some other kind of nuts, and yes it does depend on what kind of apple, the apple we were told in class is the one with the bumps on one end forget the name of them I eat the ones that are yellow and red, not sure of the name, I take an apple with me when out and about, and if I feel my sugars dropping I eat my apple. I don’t understand why he said you cant eat apples. Have you taken any diabetes classes I strongly suggest you do they offer them at your local hospital.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back