I’m newly diagnosed

Ly101

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I’m a newly diagnosed Type 1 diabetic. I’ve been trying to get used to my life as it is now. I’ve been on insulin since being diagnosed but as it’s just been a week, I’m still on set dosages.. I’m unable to conduct corrections etc as of yet.

One question I had was, sometimes after meals, I may get a little peckish say 2-3 hours later.. it’s usually after dinner where I’m not having any more meals after. My night time levels are averaging around 8-9mmol. Is there anything I can snack on that won’t raise my glucose level? Or is there anything I can snack on that won’t significantly raise my levels?

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi and welcome.

A chunk of cheese will not raise your levels and a single cracker with it will only have a very small effect in increasing your BG.

Ly101

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi and welcome.

A chunk of cheese will not raise your levels and a single cracker with it will only have a very small effect in increasing your BG.
Thanks for the quick reply. That’s good to know, I do like a bit of cheese. To be fair, I’ve pretty much cut down on snacking.. it’s just for them moments I’m a little peckish.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Nuts are another option or olives if you like them or a square of dark (70%+) chocolate which I have with a spoon of crunchy peanut butter to make it go further and more satisfying, or a boiled egg with a dollop of mayonnaise or if you want to be a bit naughty, a packet of pork scratchings.... my favourite low carb treat!