hypo

Status
Not open for further replies.

emmasamduke

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
hi all can any1 discribe wat symptoms come with hypo,s i will explain what i have just had happen 2 me sudden feeling ov shakeyness feeling quite hot heart felt racing and felt bit confused, so i got sum milk and few biscuits into me the same happened yesterday aswell wen i get sum milk and biccies into me i feel a bit better after bout 15 mins grateful 4 any replies .

hi all can any1 discribe wat symptoms come with hypo,s i will explain what i have just had happen 2 me sudden feeling ov shakeyness feeling quite hot heart felt racing and felt bit confused, so i got sum milk and few biscuits into me the same happened yesterday aswell wen i get sum milk and biccies into me i feel a bit better after bout 15 mins grateful 4 any replies .

What are the symptoms of hypoglycemia?

Hypoglycemia causes symptoms such as

hunger
shakiness
nervousness
sweating
dizziness or light-headedness
sleepiness
confusion
difficulty speaking
anxiety
weakness

you might actually be getting the symptoms of hypo if your body has been used to higher levels which have suddendly started to come into normal range or just alot lower than it is used to . What medication are you on?

Last edited:
Hi

Would probably be a good idea if you tested yourself when you felt like this. Have you been given a moniter, I know some people with type 2 are not given one and the GP won't prescribe strips, worth getting a machine yourself. You have described what could be hypo symptoms but sometimes you just don't know. If you have been running high and suddenly you find yourself at a good level ie 5.0 ish then you may well get those hypo feelings but not actually be hypo. Does that make sense?

You will only know by testing yourself.

Are you taking insulin Emma?

Addict and Adrienne have both given good answers.

Get a meter if you can so you know when you are low. It can also help you educate yourself.

I am type 2 and my numbers are quite low at the best of times now. My first sign of low sugar levels are hunger.

hunger
shakiness
nervousness
sweating
sleepiness
confusion
difficulty speaking
anxiety
weakness

you might actually be getting the symptoms of hypo if your body has been used to higher levels which have suddendly started to come into normal range or just alot lower than it is used to . What medication are you on?
hello addict09 the doc has just lowered my doseage of metformin on fri just gone from 3 a day to 2 a day i used 2 get these symptoms b4 diagnosed aswell.

hi there i cant really add to what advice has been givin, how are you feeling now?

hunger
shakiness
nervousness
sweating
sleepiness
confusion
difficulty speaking
anxiety
weakness

Hi

Would probably be a good idea if you tested yourself when you felt like this. Have you been given a moniter, I know some people with type 2 are not given one and the GP won't prescribe strips, worth getting a machine yourself. You have described what could be hypo symptoms but sometimes you just don't know. If you have been running high and suddenly you find yourself at a good level ie 5.0 ish then you may well get those hypo feelings but not actually be hypo. Does that make sense?

You will only know by testing yourself.
hi Adrienne it does make sense and i bought myself a machine but unfortunatley its not working properly every time i put a strip in, it comes up E1 and dont know how to put machine right tnx.

Are you taking insulin Emma?

Addict and Adrienne have both given good answers.

Get a meter if you can so you know when you are low. It can also help you educate yourself.

I am type 2 and my numbers are quite low at the best of times now. My first sign of low sugar levels are hunger.

tnx Tez no insulin just met, i av a machine but keeps makin error E1 and dont know why took battery out but no help.

hello addict09 the doc has just lowered my doseage of metformin on fri just gone from 3 a day to 2 a day i used 2 get these symptoms b4 diagnosed aswell.

Ah I see , well I'd say they were definately hypo symptoms , most probably caused by your body not being used to lower levels yet . I used to get symptoms at anything below 6 because my body had adapted to much higher levels. As your body adapts to lower levels you will feel less like this , or at least not unless you are really low. Metformin can't actually cause hypo's like alot of the other Diabetic medication so you wont continue dropping like someone on Insulin or one of the other meds would . If you read the leaflet that comes in the Metformin bo it tells you this in there.
Can I ask why your Doctor has lowered your dose ? was it the usual upset stomach and nausea feelings ? that does calm down after a week or two .
Have you got a Glucose monitor , so that you can test next time you feel hypo? if not ask your DSN for one , they usually have free ones from the manufacturers .

hi Adrienne it does make sense and i bought myself a machine but unfortunatley its not working properly every time i put a strip in, it comes up E1 and dont know how to put machine right tnx.

What meter is it? There is usually a helpline number on the box (or possibly on a sticker on the meter), or find them on the web. The helplines are usually extremely good and will replace a faulty meter like a shot!🙂

Ah I see , well I'd say they were definately hypo symptoms , most probably caused by your body not being used to lower levels yet . I used to get symptoms at anything below 6 because my body had adapted to much higher levels. As your body adapts to lower levels you will feel less like this , or at least not unless you are really low. Metformin can't actually cause hypo's like alot of the other Diabetic medication so you wont continue dropping like someone on Insulin or one of the other meds would . If you read the leaflet that comes in the Metformin bo it tells you this in there.
Can I ask why your Doctor has lowered your dose ? was it the usual upset stomach and nausea feelings ? that does calm down after a week or two .
Have you got a Glucose monitor , so that you can test next time you feel hypo? if not ask your DSN for one , they usually have free ones from the manufacturers .

i am not sure about all these readings that they give u but the last time i had blood taken he said that i was just over bieng good then had blood taken lastweek and he said it had gone lower than a good range not bad if u understand please excuse my knowledge and my writing but not very good with computers tnx .

i am not sure about all these readings that they give u but the last time i had blood taken he said that i was just over bieng good then had blood taken lastweek and he said it had gone lower than a good range not bad if u understand please excuse my knowledge and my writing but not very good with computers tnx .

oh and i have an accucheck machine but not working every strip comes bk E1 ,

oh and i have an accucheck machine but not working every strip comes bk E1 ,

Ah! Same meter as me! E1 indicates a problem with the strip when you are inserting it, possibly, or the code on the strip doesn't match the coding chip with the meter. The number to call is 0800 701 000 - they will sort you out quickly, I am sure.

Its ok I'm rubbish with computers too and I work on one most of the time .
Everything is quite hard to understand when you are first diagnosed , GP's and DSN's expect us to know what everything means and throw words at us :(
Anything you are not sure about just ask and we will all try and help you as much as possible. There are no stupid questions here !! ask away 🙂
What meter have you got >> I've just seen that you say its faulty , if you Email the manufacturer they will send you a new one free of charge .

What meter is it? There is usually a helpline number on the box (or possibly on a sticker on the meter), or find them on the web. The helplines are usually extremely good and will replace a faulty meter like a shot!🙂[/QUO HI northerner it a accu-chek i was going 2 take it bk 2 boots wer i bought it from but i have just thought could it be showing E1 because i just keep it on top ov fireplaice maybe 2 hot i dont know .. 🙂

Its ok I'm rubbish with computers too and I work on one most of the time .
Everything is quite hard to understand when you are first diagnosed , GP's and DSN's expect us to know what everything means and throw words at us :(
Anything you are not sure about just ask and we will all try and help you as much as possible. There are no stupid questions here !! ask away 🙂
What meter have you got >> I've just seen that you say its faulty , if you Email the manufacturer they will send you a new one free of charge .

tnx its an accu-chek meter every strip comes bk E1 .

Ah! Same meter as me! E1 indicates a problem with the strip when you are inserting it, possibly, or the code on the strip doesn't match the coding chip with the meter. The number to call is 0800 701 000 - they will sort you out quickly, I am sure.

super i call now but bound 2b closed so try 2moz tyvm .

Hello Emmas

I get these 'false' hypo's sometimes, in fact had one in Tesco's yesterday. The better half say's it's just my way to get out of shopping!(to be honest it is a great excuse......hehe..) My last hbA1c was 10.4 and my bloods go any where between 9.5 and 17 despite recently adding gliclazide to my medicine cabinet and a rigid control regime. BUT! Testing when this happens usually shows a dip to from about 7.5 to 9.0 Confuses the trolly boy though as I go storming out setting off the security alarms!! :D
David

HI sharp very funny. I dont understand all these hbA1c and 7.5 to 9.0 but i will have 2 start and educate myself better to make sure i know wats happenin tyvm .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back